The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my take on Indiana. I was there a few weeks ago for my sisters wedding. It is a town I lived in through high school. I'm talking a town with 3,500 people and two evangelical churches that averages over 1,000 per Sunday. And if you go out of town the majority of people speak German as their first language. This is Cruz country. One out of every three lawns had a Cruz sign and all the downtown businesses had a sign. My mom and one of my sisters voted Cruz because they vote on anti-abortion only. My dad voted for Trump, but with a bunch of reservations because he's a decent Christian man. My other sister and both my brother in laws (including one who's half Mexican) voted for Trump.

Trump won Indiana when he didn't win in Iowa and Wisconsin. My take is that Indiana is slightly more urban and has a slightly more southern feel along the ohio river. Also, since Indiana is a Republican state while Iowa and Wisconsin are Democrat states, it makes sense that moderates in Indiana are Republican. Trump has done better with moderates than hardcore conservatives.

Whilst I equate the Republicans with the Tories, a party of greed and self interest, there must have many educated people within their ranks.

Within this group surely there must be some who baulk at the idea of voting for a self-publicising moron like Trump.

Here's my take on Indiana. I was there a few weeks ago for my sisters wedding. It is a town I lived in through high school. I'm talking a town with 3,500 people and two evangelical churches that averages over 1,000 per Sunday. And if you go out of town the majority of people speak German as their first language. This is Cruz country. One out of every three lawns had a Cruz sign and all the downtown businesses had a sign. My mom and one of my sisters voted Cruz because they vote on anti-abortion only. My dad voted for Trump, but with a bunch of reservations because he's a decent Christian man. My other sister and both my brother in laws (including one who's half Mexican) voted for Trump.

I sometimes think that culturally we've got more in common with Mongolia than America.

Obama was the best hope the US had at getting a radical President. He fucked it up badly. Don't think I can ever again get excited about a US Presidential campaign.

That might be because he wasn't remotely radical.

Obama has been an excellent and substantive President of the United States. Easily their best one *domestically* for a very long time. His foreign policy has been more one of paralysis.

Whilst I equate the Republicans with the Tories, a party of greed and self interest, there must have many educated people within their ranks.

Within this group surely there must be some who baulk at the idea of voting for a self-publicising moron like Trump.

All the evidence suggests so. The Republican Party is having to nominate a raving imbecile who sits slightly to the right of Genghis Khan and who is utterly unelectable. There may be no way back from this - the destruction of the Republican Party is going to happen in November.

It will be the biggest landslide in modern history. And the Republicans are quite happy for it to happen.

That might be because he wasn't remotely radical.

He blew it by looking for cross party consensus in the short period when the House and Senate both had Democrat majorities. He should have forced through all the big stuff then before the Republicans started blocking everything, even stuff they agreed with.

Obama has been an excellent and substantive President of the United States. Easily their best one *domestically* for a very long time. His foreign policy has been more one of paralysis.

Relatively speaking he has been pretty radical on a domestic front. He's also shown the hamstring affect losing control of the house can have. I'd give him a B- overall.

He blew it by looking for cross party consensus in the short period when the House and Senate both had Democrat majorities. He should have forced through all the big stuff then before the Republicans started blocking everything, even stuff they agreed with.

The reason he was looking for consensus was he knew it wouldn't take much after passing stuff for the GOP to spend his second term trying to unravel all of his legislation. Getting the healthcare reforms and even his stuff on education was pretty impressive.

On stuff like guns he was always on a hiding to nothing.

Trump v Clinton confirmed. Probably worth it to see The Donald lose on the biggest stage imaginable.

He's already won at Wrestlemania, mate. This should be a cakewalk.

He avoided making the Syrian civil war even worse by attacking the Assad regime. Sometimes paralysis is for the best.

He avoided making the Syrian civil war even worse by attacking the Assad regime. Sometimes paralysis is for the best.

He also consistently increased funding for the Department of State's overseas education initiatives; US foreign policy is increasingly softer and better focused under Obama. Though really, much of his foreign policy was run via Kerry. And Obama had the Bush clusterfuck to repair.

Trump v Clinton confirmed. Probably worth it to see The Donald lose on the biggest stage imaginable.

That's what I thought the last time a candidate with experience in show business ran for office. I'm getting nervous for humanity.

No, that was one of his major failings. We should have attacked Assad before ISIS became a potent threat. It would have prevented Russia entrenching its puppet-style power in the region and would have made taking on ISIS much easier to co-ordinate and control.

No, that was one of his major failings. We should have attacked Assad before ISIS became a potent threat. It would have prevented Russia entrenching its puppet-style power in the region and would have made taking on ISIS much easier to co-ordinate and control.

as opposed to our puppet style power you mean?

I thought Ronald Reagan was bad; then we got George W Bush.

Now we've got the potential of Trump.*

F*ck knows who the Republicans will produce in the next 20-30 years.

* and let's not forget his main Republican rival was a religious fruitcake.

I thought Ronald Reagan was bad; then we got George W Bush.

Now we've got the potential of Trump.*

F*ck knows who the Republicans will produce in the next 20-30 years.

* and let's not forget his main Republican rival was a religious fruitcake.

What price Richard Nixon now?

Archived