Crusader Kings II

RandomGuy.

This morning I've become the King of Ireland, and I'm now just two counties away from having the whole of the country under my command. The only problem is that Ulster is under the control of Pictland and I imagine going after it will have heavy repercussions. They seem like a pretty handy bunch

You could play the waiting game. Not being able to see your map I obviously can't see the local kingdoms.

But you could always marry/ally Northumbria/England/Other British Isles kingdom and attack

You could, if you are happy to play waiting game wait for a female count to sit on Ulster and marry them to your heir and as long as she has her first kid with your heir then it will finally pass to you.

Meanwhile building up your resources for war of course

Edited by Antiochas III

got the game and a pile of add ons yesterday... where do i start? there seems to be 101 things going on at once and that is just the tutorial!!

Going the Earl of Dublin is supposed to be the easiest way to get into the game. No liege, every county in Ireland is independent and easy enough to take over, and you're less likely to get attacked from elsewhere.

Don't turn on the Sunset Invasion DLC though, everything gets a bit wacky.

Just discovered the 'invite a claimant of another county to your court and press their claim' gambit :o

It will consume your being clicking onto every single person "just in case"

In the end it wasn't as useful as I'd hoped tbh, pressed some guy's claim and he didn't even become my vassal at the end of it. Had to invade him again :lol:

Still unified Ireland the day and got things nice and stable. Don't know what Sinn Fein are moaning about, it was a piece of piss.

Two rules about inviting claimant to your court if you want him to take the land and be your vassal.

1. Make sure you land him first and 2. Make sure he's not taking a title equal or greater than you.

As unlike in real history you cannot have a vassel who has the same title as you

• 2 years later...

Been reading about these Paradox games and they sound right up my street (wasted many hours on the medieval and shogun total wars, very much can't be arsed with the battles in them though generally). Think I fancy EU4 more than CKII. I like the idea of going Scotland and trying to make a success of Darien and using it to launch an empire. Lots of CKII chat in here, not so much EU4, thoughts? Like the idea of it being a lot more detailed and complex than Total War and like the idea of building up a trading economy.

Europa's mechanics are much easier to understand and I think it's probably more accessible than CK2. Have spent hundreds of hours on both and would recommend either definitely. I'm not sure exactly how functional it is without the DLC (of which there's loads) but they're usually on sale so it's easy to pick and choose which ones sound appealing.

Europa's mechanics are much easier to understand and I think it's probably more accessible than CK2. Have spent hundreds of hours on both and would recommend either definitely. I'm not sure exactly how functional it is without the DLC (of which there's loads) but they're usually on sale so it's easy to pick and choose which ones sound appealing.

It's taken me a good few hours of gameplay, a few YouTube videos and some googling but I think I'm finally starting to get to grips with the game. I've only got the Common Sense DLC as being able to raise a provinces base rate of tax seems a really useful lever. I started about 5-7 games with Scotland all looking like certain military defeat before nailing the diplomacy I was after in my next start, marriage alliance and good relations with England who I imagine now won't be troubling me and I've consolidated my conquest of half of Ireland (Kildare allied with England and I don't want war with England). Starting to advance through tech now and have my sights set on colonial tech and establishing an overseas empire.

Really looking forward to trying a few other counties out after Scotland. Fancy mucking about in Central Asia a bit.

It's taken me a good few hours of gameplay, a few YouTube videos and some googling but I think I'm finally starting to get to grips with the game. I've only got the Common Sense DLC as being able to raise a provinces base rate of tax seems a really useful lever. I started about 5-7 games with Scotland all looking like certain military defeat before nailing the diplomacy I was after in my next start, marriage alliance and good relations with England who I imagine now won't be troubling me and I've consolidated my conquest of half of Ireland (Kildare allied with England and I don't want war with England). Starting to advance through tech now and have my sights set on colonial tech and establishing an overseas empire.

Really looking forward to trying a few other counties out after Scotland. Fancy mucking about in Central Asia a bit.

Good to hear you've started off well but even when it goes tits up you will realise that losing is fun. I've seen me build up Rum into an unstoppable behemoth in CK only for me to convert to EU4 and come up against a suddenly invincible Ethiopia and Persia which forced me out of the MIddle Eaat for two centuries and right on the back foot. Was decent.

It's a great game, most frustrating one I've ever played.

Spending a solid hour getting allies as I became aware my son was planning to assassinate me, deciding to finally go ahead with a plan to execute the fucker, only to be killed in an explosion the very next turn. Bubbling with rage as I took control of the son and seen the "kinslayer" trait, before realising I'd somehow gotten stronger by everything passing to him and getting excited, only to be killed by a plot I'd concocted as the father, is one of the most enjoyable moments of gaming I've ever had. Complete scenes.

I've got EU4 and I've tried to get into it but haven't got the time to learn, tried Scotland and got owned.

If your after strategy but bored of total war may I suggest Men of War: Assault Squad 2. One of the best RTS I've played

On 21/09/2017 at 21:53, RandomGuy. said:

It's a great game, most frustrating one I've ever played.

Spending a solid hour getting allies as I became aware my son was planning to assassinate me, deciding to finally go ahead with a plan to execute the fucker, only to be killed in an explosion the very next turn. Bubbling with rage as I took control of the son and seen the "kinslayer" trait, before realising I'd somehow gotten stronger by everything passing to him and getting excited, only to be killed by a plot I'd concocted as the father, is one of the most enjoyable moments of gaming I've ever had. Complete scenes.

I had a period where I was Duke of Austria who was killed by his son, who was then killed by his uncle who (I) then became duke of Swabia who was then killed by his son.  It was about 3 game years :lol:

• 3 years later...
On 29/07/2015 at 10:49, sergie's no1 fan said:

Has anyone played the Game of Thrones modification? Looks pretty sweet! http://www.moddb.com/mods/crusader-kings-2-a-game-of-thrones-ck2agot

Started this last night. Earliest time setting, went as the Starks obvs.

Completely forgotten how to play the game so decided to ally with strong families first. Targaerayns denied my request to marry their son with my daughter, obviously as they want to keep it in the family, so went to the Lannisters instead.

Married my daughter to their heir, then started a plot to kill their king(?). 3 days later my son in law gets eaten by a fucking dragon and I think my plot has been uncovered.

Great stuff. Now facing a huge war I have no idea how to do 😂