The hung parliament - here to stay?

6 weeks until we go to the polls and all the indications are we heading towards a second successive hung parliament.

With the rise in popularity on non-mainstream parties, (I'll include the SNP on this list in WM terms) such as the SNP and to a yet to be determined degree, UKIP are we going to see the hung parliament as a regular thing?

I personally despise the archaic FPTP system, where the key battles are held in marginal seats and areas which return the same party with huge majorities are generally taken for granted by the sitting MP or ignored by a challenger and for years felt my vote didn't count. Getting stuck with either a labour or tory goverment, neither of whom I voted for (green party member)

I should add, that the FPTP system is allowing a huge number of SNP MPs to potentially be returned, and with the chance to stir up the establishment, and the seethe it is causing, I think it is glorious. The establishment aren't too keen when the shoe is on the other foot

I don't think it's here to stay. This time around voters are struggling to know who to blame. They don't like austerity but don't trust Miliband and see Labour's poor record in the last Government. Lib Dems aren't an alternative. Voters fed up of greedy politicians and distrustful of the WM system.

All that leads to disillusionment with the main parties, but there's nothing to indicate that that can't change.

At the end of the next parliament it will be 28 years since the Tories won a majority, and even that was a pretty slim one. I think we would need to see something pretty dramatic to see them get one. There's a little more hope for Labour under the right leadership, but I think hung parliaments are here to stay. A good thing IMO.

I actually like FPTP. It's good for localities as in if an MP is doing a shite job, simply send them on their way, if they're good, vote them back in.

However I do think the Scottish Parliament model is bang on. A mixture of Constituency MSPs and List/Regiobal MSPs. If we had something like this at Westminster then the likes of the Greens and unfortunately UKIP will have a bigger presence.

You're less likely to get a local MP. Would a talented up and coming Tory living in the central belt ever try to run as an MP in his home town? I think he would likely pack his bags and try stand for a seat somewhere in the south of England. Rarely does an MP doing a shitey job in their local constituency ever get voted out in a safe seat. People vote based on how they perceive the party next to their name. Given that, what incentive has a local MP got to do a good when they know people will elect or vote them out based on the reputation of their party?

You're less likely to get a local MP. Would a talented up and coming Tory living in the central belt ever try to run as an MP in his home town? I think he would likely pack his bags and try stand for a seat somewhere in the south of England. Rarely does an MP doing a shitey job in their local constituency ever get voted out in a safe seat. People vote based on how they perceive the party next to their name. Given that, what incentive has a local MP got to do a good when they know people will elect or vote them out based on the reputation of their party?

if people get a good impression of their MPs treatment of local issurs , I believe they will vote for them. I'd always vote for an mp firstly on how they may have helped me before any party considerations. I think MPs recognise this, hence why MPs mostly ask constituency questions at pmqs.

They ask constituency questions cause that's their job, who else is going to ask them? Thats literally what they're elected to do.

I would always vote on party considerations first, as who is actually running the country is much more important than any constituency matter.

PR will happen in this Parliamentary term. If the Tories wholly owning both the gutter press and the state broadcaster can't secure a working majority then even they know that the jig is up. Expect a wholesale pivot towards whichever PR system is most favourable to them to be massively promoted right after the election.

Unfortunately imo your being far too optimistic there, we are a decade minimum away from PR 3-4 coalition governments will be needed before PR becomes realistic. Once the fear of coalition reduces pr has a much better chance.

Hopefully within a decade we will not need to bother about Westminster PR.

Unfortunately imo your being far too optimistic there, we are a decade minimum away from PR 3-4 coalition governments will be needed before PR becomes realistic. Once the fear of coalition reduces pr has a much better chance.

I can't see a majority govt for the foreseeable future. I think ukip may go on to build on their vote share and take more seats in 2020, following a no result in the eu referendum, not expecting them to get more than 3 in may.

Archived