East coast of Australia

stuart87

I've been working in Sydney for the last 4 months and have 2 months left. I've managed to save a decent amount of money to travel for 2-3 months. I've already been been to Melbourne and I'm going to Tasmania for six days in a few weeks. After I finish work I'd like to travel up the east coast. Looking for any advice possible on things to do, places to go, how to travel etc

I flew from Melbourne to Byron bay then got greyhound buses all the way up to cairns stopping at surfers, Noosa, Fraser island, airline beach for the whitsundays and Townsville for magnetic island. Fraser Island was the definite highlight for me, in all of Australia. Everywhere was decent although wasn't mad on surfers paradise and my boat on the whitsundays was full of p***ks. I bought full raikpass in cairns and ended up going all the way to Perth via Uluru on it and back but you can get fairly good value passes for just the east coast which is quicker and more comfortable but the buses are a good way of meeting people as everyone's doing the same route generally.

Cheers mate. Think I'll probably use the greyhound buses because as you said it's a good way to meet folk. Definitely want to see Uluru but not sure about going to Perth. Quite fancy going to New Zealand for a couple of weeks as well.

I work as a swim coach back home so I managed to get a job coaching here with some pool attendant work as well. I would have liked to have found a job in Melbourne as I was staying with friends there but this job came up and I had to take it as I had no money left.

I've enjoyed Australia so far but really just looking to get travelling now. At times I've found it difficult, especially being out here on my own but my parents and my sister came out for a holiday over New Year so it was great to see them then. Occasionally I've felt a bit homesick in the morning but then I go outside and the suns shining which usually makes things better. It's so easy to keep in contact with friends and family these days as well with things like Skype and Whatsapp.

Are you thinking about doing it?

Occasionally I've felt a bit homesick in the morning but then I go outside and the suns shining which usually makes things better. It's so easy to keep in contact with friends and family these days as well with things like Skype and Whatsapp.

You have just described how I feel about being away from home. Been away since November!

I work as a swim coach back home so I managed to get a job coaching here with some pool attendant work as well. I would have liked to have found a job in Melbourne as I was staying with friends there but this job came up and I had to take it as I had no money left.

I've enjoyed Australia so far but really just looking to get travelling now. At times I've found it difficult, especially being out here on my own but my parents and my sister came out for a holiday over New Year so it was great to see them then. Occasionally I've felt a bit homesick in the morning but then I go outside and the suns shining which usually makes things better. It's so easy to keep in contact with friends and family these days as well with things like Skype and Whatsapp.

Nice one mate. Yeah me and my girlfriend are considering going. I've been to Canada before for about 4 months but I think this is different because oz is on the other side of the world. I suppose I just worry about how we're going to cope with being so far away. My mate is over there right now and says I'd love it, I don't doubt him really. It's always been a place I want to see.

Nice one mate. Yeah me and my girlfriend are considering going. I've been to Canada before for about 4 months but I think this is different because oz is on the other side of the world. I suppose I just worry about how we're going to cope with being so far away. My mate is over there right now and says I'd love it, I don't doubt him really. It's always been a place I want to see.

If you get the opportunity to do it then I would recommend it. I've been working most of the time so still haven't seen much of it but from what I have seen it's a beautiful country.

I'm in New Zealand and wouldn't say that I've really felt homesick. Been out here almost a year and at anytime I feel like I remotely miss home I just think about Methil. It works fine.

Ha I'll try that out the next time.

Archived