Widly different d/load speeds between wireless devices.

After years of slow internet, I've finally got a fibre connection and, through Ethernet, I'm now getting about 30Mb/s.

The problem is with wireless devices. My iphone6 has been getting about 28Mb/s, but my PS4 is down at about 1.7Mb/s (!) and my wife's iphone6 was also very slow.

I've tried fiddling about with my router's channel (and also switching from 20Hz to 20-40Hz), but am finding that with every channel change some devices are speeding up and others are slowing down. The exception is the PS4, which seems stuck at around 1.7 to 2.8Mb/s, when devices beside it (and therefore same distance from the router are pulling 10 times that).

I know the PS4 wi-fi is poor, but to be pulling at only 5-10% of other devices seems way off.

It's also strange that identical devices (eg the iphones) are recording quite different speeds from each other.

Going wired is not an option and even homeplugs aren't going to be ideal. Would prefer to get wireless sorted if I can.

My router is a Telstra-branded (but manufactured, I think, by Thompson) Technicolor Gateway TG797. It's a heap of crap, but I've been forced into buying it at a ridiculous cost (monopoly telecoms provider and my fibre is line is "off-network") so don't really want to outlay on a replacement (particularly as it's capable of providing good speeds for my phone etc).

Any ideas on what could be causing this variation in speed and what I can do about it? Cheers.

Your iphone could be using a different frequency (5GHz) compared with your PS4. That's just a wild guess though.

My router is only 2.4Hz so can't be that.

Theres loads of stuff on google about slow PS4 speeds.

Yeah, I've read loads of complaints but generally those posting say their PS4 speed is maybe 33% down compared to other devices, but mine is way worse.

Did you read the one about the speed test not being accurate?

My PS4 is extremely slow in practice though and is lagging way, way behind all my other devices: it won't let me use SharePlay (gets a few red bars nothing more), Netflix is defaulting to lowest settings etc.

I'm on fibre now but the PS4 is going slower over wireless than when I was on ADSL.

Anyway, I've decided just to go down the home plug route so hopefully that will produce the results.

Thanks for your efforts.

I take it you got a new router when switching to fibre ?

I think you will have many many hours of fiddling with the settings in your new router until you have resolved your problems with your wireless.

I know your old ADSL may not work any more but you can still access the ADSL router through your computer and you can write down your wireless settings from the ADSL router and copy them into your new fibre optic router.

Archived