Twenty years of Celtic domination?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For us it would be nice to qualify for Europe for next season, but its not a priority for us compared to the domestic games and it will probably cost the club more than its worth, however if we can last one round it would be an achievement and one for the club's history. No other club other than Celtic or Rangers place so much value on European success simply because their costs exceed that much that they cannot sustain long term just living only on domestic games at the moment without each other in the same league.

As much as it is denied by both sets of fans Celtic need Rangers as much as Rangers need Celtic not just for the rivalry but for both clubs long term survival. If Rangers ever make it up and become title contenders only Celtic and Rangers benefit, nobody else does, one less European place and less chance of winning cups.

It been a while since Celtic were regarded as one of Europe's bigger clubs and it is a remarkable achievement now if Celtic can survive past New Year still in European competition. But remember Celtic were only still in Europe because clubs knocked out of the CL can play in the Europa League.

and clubs who make mistakes with their team's paperwork get ejected...

I can't stand comment like the op makes here about dominating Scottish football for the next 20 years. Its obvious that Celtic will dominate Scottish football for the next 4-5 year primarily due to sound management and massive advantage in resources, however there is no guarantee that will get into the champions league every year. The extra money pouring into the premier league down south might mean that we are shopping in ever cheaper markets. Adversely this might also be the case for many of the other teams from smaller nations as well and thus balance out in European terms.

Even though they are clearly a basket case of a club just now, failing another liquidation event I suspect that sevco will at some point begin to catch up with us. I'd estimate probably around 7 to 10 years depending on how quickly they can get their house in order and how frequently we qualify for the CL and later stages of European tournaments.

Although due to financial constraints and European football not being particularly profitable for most other non OF clubs I don't think you can underestimate the value that these tournaments provide in their forays into Europe.

Hearts giving liverpool a bloody nose at Anfield, Motherwell going on a run before getting put out by Nancy, Aberdeen's run into the last 32 of the Europa league beating Caopenhagen 4-0 and drawing with Bayern, St Johnston turning over Rosenberg are all in their own way big achievements and add a richness to the history of our game. Trying to say that these arn't achievements that we should celebrate in our game is pretty poor from and the the OF are the only contributors from Scotland in Europe is simply wrong.

I genuinely hope, and believe that it's not impossible, for Aberdeen and maybe even Inverness or Dundee Unt to reach the group stages of the Europa league. If the rest of our teams can improve and kick on to to do this on even a semi regular basis ultimately it will help to strengthen our league and improve the standard of the rest of the clubs.

In the last few years I feel that there has been a real buzz around Scottish football in way that I have not seen in a long time. The main reasons for it are simple. The rest of the non OF teams feel like they have a decent chance of lifting a trophy and that they have something to play for again and are beginning to covet European spots in a way that has been sadly underplayed in our game.

I'm aware that he is trolling but there are, sadly, fuds out their that are genuinely spouting such pish, to which the more level headed Celtic fans unfortunately get tagged with. So its worthwhile stating a differing opinion.

I can't stand comment like the op makes here about dominating Scottish football for the next 20 years. Its obvious that Celtic will dominate Scottish football for the next 4-5 year primarily due to sound management and massive advantage in resources, however there is no guarantee that will get into the champions league every year. The extra money pouring into the premier league down south might mean that we are shopping in ever cheaper markets. Adversely this might also be the case for many of the other teams from smaller nations as well and thus balance out in European terms.

Even though they are clearly a basket case of a club just now, failing another liquidation event I suspect that sevco will at some point begin to catch up with us. I'd estimate probably around 7 to 10 years depending on how quickly they can get their house in order and how frequently we qualify for the CL and later stages of European tournaments.

Although due to financial constraints and European football not being particularly profitable for most other non OF clubs I don't think you can underestimate the value that these tournaments provide in their forays into Europe.

Hearts giving liverpool a bloody nose at Anfield, Motherwell going on a run before getting put out by Nancy, Aberdeen's run into the last 32 of the Europa league beating Caopenhagen 4-0 and drawing with Bayern, St Johnston turning over Rosenberg are all in their own way big achievements and add a richness to the history of our game. Trying to say that these arn't achievements that we should celebrate in our game is pretty poor from and the the OF are the only contributors from Scotland in Europe is simply wrong.

I genuinely hope, and believe that it's not impossible, for Aberdeen and maybe even Inverness or Dundee Unt to reach the group stages of the Europa league. If the rest of our teams can improve and kick on to to do this on even a semi regular basis ultimately it will help to strengthen our league and improve the standard of the rest of the clubs.

In the last few years I feel that there has been a real buzz around Scottish football in way that I have not seen in a long time. The main reasons for it are simple. The rest of the non OF teams feel like they have a decent chance of lifting a trophy and that they have something to play for again and are beginning to covet European spots in a way that has been sadly underplayed in our game.

^^ Scottish Football Forum, "20 years of Celtic dominance" thread for this music-and-breakfast-cereal-free nonsense.

I really believe this to be the case, not in the triumphalist manner of Sevco, but based on their financial strength. Our initial aim should be to win the SPL every year and with it gain entry to the CL on a regular basis. Taking 20 million a year from that, plus selling developed talent to the 'big' European clubs will mean that Celtic retain domination. Ironically with Celtic qualifying for the CL, Scottish football also benefits. Aberdeen, Hearts and a few others will also profit as they, like Celtic, have learned from their previous mistakes. Make no mistake however, the legacy of David Murray is still harming Scottish football to this very day.

The people ho run Scottish football really need to look at themselves too. Celtic do well despite them, not because of them. The whole rancid organization is corrupt from top to bottom.

The best thing about Celtic FC for me is that they have kept Irish politics relevant to the people of Scotland. It's been really important to us as a society.

I'm aware that he is trolling but there are, sadly, fuds out their that are genuinely spouting such pish, to which the more level headed Celtic fans unfortunately get tagged with. So its worthwhile stating a differing opinion.

I am not trolling, not at all. I choose my words carefully. Celtic are on the cusp of something special the likes of which will never be seen again. We have a dynamic, young coach whose revolutionary methods are already bearing fruit. Our first treble beckons since the days of Saint Martin, who himself followed in the footsteps of the legendary Jock Stein.

I am not here to sound triumphalist or victorious, not at all. Rangers (or rather the club that was known as Rangers and died) whole ethos and mentality is based on racial and religious supremacy, we as an ethnic minority group tend to side with the outsider and the little chap. Our fans adapt to new realities. The SNP now has huge support among the young and surprisingly erstwhile Celtic supporters. The **** they are a changing.

If Aberdeen, Hearts or Dundee Utd beat us for the league in the future, I will not like it but would welcome a change from total domination if it meant that Scottish football would prosper as a whole. A Sevocite just could not countenance such a thing, arrogance is in their DNA.

I am not trolling, not at all. I choose my words carefully. Celtic are on the cusp of something special the likes of which will never be seen again. We have a dynamic, young coach whose revolutionary methods are already bearing fruit. Our first treble beckons since the days of Saint Martin, who himself followed in the footsteps of the legendary Jock Stein.

I am not here to sound triumphalist or victorious, not at all. Rangers (or rather the club that was known as Rangers and died) whole ethos and mentality is based on racial and religious supremacy, we as an ethnic minority group tend to side with the outsider and the little chap. Our fans adapt to new realities. The SNP now has huge support among the young and surprisingly erstwhile Celtic supporters. The **** they are a changing.

If Aberdeen, Hearts or Dundee Utd beat us for the league in the future, I will not like it but would welcome a change from total domination if it meant that Scottish football would prosper as a whole. A Sevocite just could not countenance such a thing, arrogance is in their DNA.

^Withoutabix, IMO

I need to see this Celtic team for myself, maybe in the cup semi. i understand Ronny is trying to do something different and this revolves around a certain style of attacking football, only time will tell if this works here and where it could be shown to be most effective is in Europe.

TBF I don't see much wrong with your posts even if you are stating the obvious a bit, trolling...a wee bit but nothing that should outrage the level headed poster. Couldn't care less about whether Rangers make the Premiership next season County would be a bigger loss to us if they went down. The Championship playoff race is interesting, would prefer Hibs but I think both County and 'Well are still better teams than anything below Hearts.

Why not join in on the Sevcoapocalypse BRALT thread and lets see some of your views in there. ;)

Archived