US Army Recruit tried to join ISIS, caught in FBI sting

Link

A 20-year-old man has been charged with planning a suicide bomb attack against the Fort Riley military base in Kansas, in an alleged plot to support the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), federal prosecutors said Friday.

Traitor!

Sounds like another case of the good old FBI busting a plot which would never have existed had they not concocted it themselves and groomed someone to 'almost; carry it through. Unless this 20 year old kid had actually built his own 1000lb bomb, of course.

Can't help but think that guy was set up to an extent. Almost radicalised by the people who caught him?

Aye, there's a constant stream of these 'plots' being uncovered, nearly all of which involve the suspects being known to authorities and usually after forming some kind of relationship with undercover agents.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/nov/16/fbi-entrapment-fake-terror-plots

Can't help but think that guy was set up to an extent. Almost radicalised by the people who caught him?

"Oh my, it's a mirage. I'm telling y'all it's sabotage."

Nothing would surprise me wherever the Feds are concerned.

"So listen up cause you can't say nothing"

Maybe, but what do you do about someone who you think intends to do something terrible but have no evidence to stop him?

Aye, there's a constant stream of these 'plots' being uncovered, nearly all of which involve the suspects being known to authorities and usually after forming some kind of relationship with undercover agents.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/nov/16/fbi-entrapment-fake-terror-plots

I think that's a fairly constant US law enforcement strategy. I'm a bit of a crime geek and a lot of US prosecutions for organised crime, drug trafficking are the same. No doubt they catch bad guys most of the time but it's a fairly morally ambiguous strategy.

Sounds like another case of the good old FBI busting a plot which would never have existed had they not concocted it themselves and groomed someone to 'almost; carry it through. Unless this 20 year old kid had actually built his own 1000lb bomb, of course.

It might be in the link you posted that I'm too lazy to read , but I remembera story about a completely normal Mosque that the FBI radicalised for no apparent reason.

Maybe, but what do you do about someone who you think intends to do something terrible but have no evidence to stop him?

The argument people have against this strategy is that the perpetrators usually don't have the means or the intellect to carry out the plots without it all being put into place for them. They are often young, disillusioned fantasists who first flag the authorities with social media posts.

There was a case recently where a group of poor black kids with a history of petty crime and drug addiction were convicted of conspiring to shoot down planes with anti-aircraft missiles.

Yeah it's a conundrum right enough. It's not like we have decades of experience with such things and the most sophisticated surveillance network on the planet to deal with such things. It's definitely the way to go to basically frame them and lock them up for thirty years for something we have induced them to do and facilitated.

Wouldn't be a good idea to say, tail them and arrest them once they do something that is actually breaking the law, that would be revolutionary eh.

Lets just throw due process, individual's rights and the rule of law out the window cause we think someone intends to do something terrible eh, that's a great idea. It's not like our society and democracy is built on these standards and values after all is it?

Archived