The Witcher 3

spud131

Just now, Acon said:

I’m about an hour into my 2nd play through, totally patched Gwent originally but took a bit longer to try get to grips with it. Already enjoying it 100% more that I’ve paid attention to the tutorial. 

Are there any other particular tips/tricks other than occasionally throwing the first round? Like best cards to try and purchase / trade? 

Spies and dummy cards. Having more cards than the opponent is a solid strategy most of the time. But in general it's best to make them spend as many cards as possible in the first round, which is why it's no bad thing to lose the first round every time tbh. If you get a good draw you can obviously just try to body them 2-0 but there's no benefit to doing so over winning 2-1.

I'd stick with the original deck too, don't start playing with the monster deck or that. I'd also get yourself a list of all the cards and their locations and tick them off because if you want the achievement, it's a pain in the backside trying to remember who you've played. Basically all the innkeepers are included in that, the tournament (SAVE before each round) and the games in the masquarade ball. 

Clocked in a few more hours and finally out of the White Orchard and into Belen. I've started The Bloody Baron and made my way through a couple of side quests / Witcher contracts. 

I'm enjoying it more than I was. It's opened up a bit more and I'm getting a hang of the combat - although I'm still rubbish at it. The scale is quite daunting but I think it's beginning to click for me. Still can't get to grips with how your health regenerates and all the crafting though!

20 hours ago, yoda said:

Clocked in a few more hours and finally out of the White Orchard and into Belen. I've started The Bloody Baron and made my way through a couple of side quests / Witcher contracts. 

I'm enjoying it more than I was. It's opened up a bit more and I'm getting a hang of the combat - although I'm still rubbish at it. The scale is quite daunting but I think it's beginning to click for me. Still can't get to grips with how your health regenerates and all the crafting though!

Definitely pay attention to the recommended levels for each contract/secondary quest. Would also recommend making sure you've fully completed all the White Orchard areas and found the places of power for a few character boosts.

Dont worry too much about crafting. You'll mainly need to work on oils to improve damage in fights and potions. Even then, quite a few of the potions and most of the decoctions aren't necessary - more that they're nice to have.

You should be ok for armour with what you find until you decide which witcher school gear you want to go for.

20 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Only for the main game. The expansions will still be a challenge.

Hearts of Stone is especially hard, big jump in difficulty from start to finish. Blood and Wine is a friendlier wind down, there are still hard bits but it's so big that your gear and levels keep pace with it.

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Hearts of Stone is especially hard, big jump in difficulty from start to finish. Blood and Wine is a friendlier wind down, there are still hard bits but it's so big that your gear and levels keep pace with it.

I found it the other way round. I usually do Heart of Stone before I finish the main game - usually just after getting Ciri from the Isle of Mist. I found the fight with Deltaf a nightmare the first play through. The Hansa bases can be a pain too just because of numbers. The right signs, potions and skills really help on subsequent efforts.

6 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I found it the other way round. I usually do Heart of Stone before I finish the main game - usually just after getting Ciri from the Isle of Mist. I found the fight with Deltaf a nightmare the first play through. The Hansa bases can be a pain too just because of numbers. The right signs, potions and skills really help on subsequent efforts.

I found the frog prince, Olgierd (first fight and in the painted world) and the Ofieri wizard guy at the start to be trickier than most things in B&W, but yeah Dettlaff is naturally the hardest boss in the game.

Speaking of the painted world btw, what a chapter that is. Fantastic writing and execution.

The painted world is fantastic story telling. 

Sorry for being this guy, but I found Blood and Wine to be much more interesting and exciting having read the books and knowing about some of the characters that turn up in it, but then I found the whole experience to be richer for it than the first time. 

4 hours ago, GiGi said:

I remember coming to HoS a while after completing the main game, and it was a fucking massive jump.  Got my erse absolutely handed to me for a while before I adjusted. You soon catch up, but I seem to remember there being a beach section very early on where unless you've over-levelled, you're way underpowered.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

The painted world is fantastic story telling. 

Sorry for being this guy, but I found Blood and Wine to be much more interesting and exciting having read the books and knowing about some of the characters that turn up in it, but then I found the whole experience to be richer for it than the first time. 

I found HoS better purely because of the painted world stuff.  You've got the wedding parts earlier, which were enjoyable, but I found the whole final section in the house and going into the painting as being one of the finest examples of storytelling I've ever seen in a game.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm properly enjoying this now!

Finished The Bloody Baron side quest and I think I got the "good" ending but... it wasn't a particularly happy ending. A really good story though. 

Levelled up a fair bit and the combat gets a lot easier but still challenging enough for me and my "no blocking, no dodging, just mash" approach. Struggling against any type of wraith though, even the weak ones. c***s.

Into Novigrad now with the Triss stuff. Trying to sweep up a lot of secondary quests and contracts (below level 20) before heading over to Skellige.

Still struggling with the scale. It's as intimidating as RDR2. I'm not very good at prioritising quests or ignoring the treasure hunts / exclamation marks.