Berwick Rangers 2015/16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess Quinn needed to really impress against Forfar. I hope he did and he gets a chance at Shielfield, but I didn't hear any particularly complimentary reports.

Nobody really impressed me in the Berwick side to be fair . The big guy with the Afro looked half decent though right enough .

We'll find out whether Paul Shields has signed at Haddington tomorrow night. Like everyone else, I'd much prefer Quinn to a 35 year old journeyman seeing out his twilight years at Kelty and Bonnyrigg. unless of course it's all a windup, in which case the Shields posters could do with finding a life.

Not too fussed with the friendy results. 4 have been against sides from higher leagues, and we did well against both Dunfermline and Killie. I've seen us have some great pre-seasons followed by car-crash league campaigns, so if this pre-season has helped a substantially rebuilt side gel then it's done its job. Still think we're an experienced central midfielder and centre half short, but it looks like the squad is more or less finalised now unless some rabbits get pulled from the hat tomorrow night. Hearing that Kieran Ainslie has signed up but have'nt seen any formal confirmation yet.

Starting eleven looking like:

Walker

McNeil Fairbairn Wilson Drummond

Morris Banjo Beveridge McKenna

Lavery Henderson/Quinn/Shields

Subs: Walters/Graham/Hogg/Denton/Ainslie/Cameron/ Henderson?

Neither Lavery nor McKenna played at Station Park on Saturday as far as I know. Note sure if they are carrying knocks or not. You'd expect tomorrow night's line-up to be prettty close to Saturday's starting eleven.

Shields was born in Dunfermline, so that should clinch it.

Lavery was injured in Killie game, so maybe treating him with some caution.

I'm reasonably happy with the squad, but will be happier when Notman gets back.

I'm a little less impressed tbh. As pleased as I am to see Kieran sign up at centre back, if he's 'the' centre back to be battling it out with Jonny and Wilson for starting places at this stage then I'm worried. Of the 3, Id start Ainslie and Fairbairn tbh as Wilson hasn't impressed me in the games I've seen.

The same goes for the centre of midfield for me. We're crying out for an experienced man in there and some of the players linked were promising, however there haven't been those kind of links for a week or two now, so if Banjo and Graham are the last of the midfielders in, I'm worried. If it's the case, maybe it's time for Cameron to hang up his boots so the players wage can go towards someone else.

Shields is just uninspiring. Hopefully we can get those 3 or so in, because the rest of the squad is looking pretty decent.

Yeah that's all fair enough.

The plus points are, a squad that seems to give a toss, a better keeper, some strength down both flanks (notwithstanding Willis's departure) and another year on for the likes of Fairbairn and Henderson.

I'm cautiously optimistic that a midfield of any 2 of Beveridge Graham Banjo Notman, will be better than anything with Lee Currie poncing about in it.

Biggest prob is a 2nd centre back to replace Young.

McNeil at right back looks like the only positioned we have strenghtened in, Drummond needs to rediscover the form he showed in the early part of last season, he has been poor in pre-season. Walker looked poor on Saturday and we really struggled from corners, without the addition of another centre back this could be a continuing theme during the league campaign.Our midfield looks slightly weaker than last season although we haven't seen much of McKenna. Forward line pretty much on par to the last campaign. I don't think we'll lack for effort but the lack of quality is a real worry. As it stands 4th at best.

On the experienced centre mid debate, you could argue that if we are to sign someone of the calibre we were being linked with, that those kind of players will be holding out for a full-time offer first, so perhaps there's still a chance.

Then again, that could just be the blind faith I put into Berwick at the beginning of every season.

Off topic, how on earth has Michael Andrews managed to sign for Cowdenbeath ?!

Let us take a minute to remember that Cowdenbeath, last year, signed Pat Scullion. Undoubtedly, a beautiful man but, with signings like that, it's not difficult to see why Cowdenbeath were relegated.

McNeil at right back looks like the only positioned we have strenghtened in, Drummond needs to rediscover the form he showed in the early part of last season, he has been poor in pre-season. Walker looked poor on Saturday and we really struggled from corners, without the addition of another centre back this could be a continuing theme during the league campaign.Our midfield looks slightly weaker than last season although we haven't seen much of McKenna. Forward line pretty much on par to the last campaign. I don't think we'll lack for effort but the lack of quality is a real worry. As it stands 4th at best.

Would'nt disagree. The key question is this - do we look like a top 4 team? I don't think we do on the evidence so far.. We might have a more harmonious team spirit, which is great, and players more committed to the club, equally good, but I don't see an X factor anywhere in a squad which has been largely replenished from Musselburgh and Dunfermline. As you say, there is no standout player of the calibre of Whatley, Linn, Gunn, Kevin Smith etc, and they're the kind of players you need to make the difference between contenders and also rans.

In other news, I see our new centre half has also taken over as chairman of Livingston.

Archived