Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://linkis.com/derekbateman.co.uk/2/wfVqk#.Vj-E-FVLeh4.twitter

A cracking piece by Derek Bateman. If you don't already read his stuff, start.

That was awful. He doesn't give a fk about protecting Scottish workers, just about getting one over Labour. Just a snippet:

As I say, this isn’t an anti-poverty social justice issue, it is a rescue-Labour-from-electoral-disaster issue.

I say let them have the ground. Who believes they are serious about helping the poor? Who cares if a few extra votes are swung their way?
By the way, the annual cost of abolishing the Air Passenger Duty is roughly the same as Scotland would spend on Trident. I'd rather forget both and spend the money on neutralising the Tory welfare cuts.

That was awful. He doesn't give a fk about protecting Scottish workers, just about getting one over Labour. Just a snippet:

By the way, the annual cost of abolishing the Air Passenger Duty is roughly the same as Scotland would spend on Trident. I'd rather forget both and spend the money on neutralising the Tory welfare cuts.

As loath as I am to say it, Scotland voted to be subject to Tory welfare cuts - they're reserved to the sovereign government. At what cost to other things is the Scottish government expected spend its grant mitigating the effects of the government Scotland chose to retain reserved power?

As loath as I am to say it, Scotland voted to be subject to Tory welfare cuts - they're reserved to the sovereign government. At what cost to other things is the Scottish government expected spend its grant mitigating the effects of the government Scotland chose to retain reserved power?

Well, they could choose not to abolish the middle class fringe benefit tax cut of APD for a start. Then they could think about using their tax raising powers to do the right thing. They were elected to protect the interests of the Scottish people, not just to make the Tories/Labour look bad.

Well, they could choose not to abolish the middle class fringe benefit tax cut of APD for a start. Then they could think about using their tax raising powers to do the right thing. They were elected to protect the interests of the Scottish people, not just to make the Tories/Labour look bad.

So it's the job of the SNP to sacrifice their own policies to mitigate the policies of the U.K. government? I find that astonishing. The SNP, from what I can see, aren't "making the Tories/Labour look bad" by pursuing their own policies; the UK government is more than capable of making itself look bad. But then, I return to the point: Scotland just last year chose to be subject to these policies and to keep them reserved to Westminster.

The job of the Scottish Government is to do the best they can for the people of Scotland, and the wider world where possible, in whatever circumstances. To say to people who voted overwhelmingly against the Tories "It's your fault, nothing to do with us." isn't enough.

The job of the Scottish Government is to do the best they can for the people of Scotland, and the wider world where possible, in whatever circumstances. To say to people who voted overwhelmingly against the Tories "It's your fault, nothing to do with us." isn't enough.

It's the job of the Scottish government to do what they believe to be best for the people of Scotland according to their resources. That will differ from party to party.

It's the job of the Scottish government to do what they believe to be best for the people of Scotland according to their resources. That will differ from party to party.

So should the SNP favour middle class tax cuts over protecting our poorest workers?

Good article in the Sunday Herald by Ian MacWhirter about how it's time for the SNP and Scottish Labour to cooperate in finding a way of mitigating the Tory welfare cuts. Maybe someone could post the link, on phone and reading print edition.

Not surprising that a chap of your modest intellect would think that's a good article.

McWhirter's been trolling for some time now.

The SNP have held out olive branch after olive branch to Labour and just get met with angry rage.

As Sturgeon said, they're motivated by hatred of the SNP, not by helping people.

If the snp forget why they're there in the first place then they will follow Scottish labour to electoral obscurity.

It would be stupid for them to not work together.

See above.

Not surprising that a chap of your modest intellect would think that's a good article.

McWhirter's been trolling for some time now.

The SNP have held out olive branch after olive branch to Labour and just get met with angry rage.

As Sturgeon said, they're motivated by hatred of the SNP, not by helping people.

See above.

Proof of scottish labour not wanting to help people because of a hatred Of the SNP please fide.

And another wee point the SNP hate the conservatives and what they stand for but what happens if they bring out a policy the SNP agree with,you can bet that hatred would stop the SNP voting with them.

The issue with APD is that is is a direct charge on a passenger that no other form of transport has. Inverness for example is APD exempt but it will still be significantly dearer to fly from INV-LHR than ABZ-LHR, BA is effectively pocketing the equivalent of the APD. I believe that the reason for APD is down the airline industry long being able to skirt taxes (avgas duty is re-claimable on foreign flights) but the tax itself is mis-placed. If the government want to raise more money from the airline industry then they should look to what they have done in the betting industry.

Proof of scottish labour not wanting to help people because of a hatred Of the SNP please fide.

And another wee point the SNP hate the conservatives and what they stand for but what happens if they bring out a policy the SNP agree with,you can bet that hatred would stop the SNP voting with them.

Scottish labour aren't really the issue here - it's UK labour that are. Uk labour seem determined to vote the opposite way to the SNP on pretty much any Tory policy. Any labour friendly SNP amendment is met with abstaining or voting against. There's a lot of bitterness between the parties at the moment, but on most things they should be on the same side at Westminster. Think both parties need to grow up and work together, frankly.

Archived