Holyrood '16 polls and predictions

Crùbag

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont feel oppressed i cast my vote and respect the democratic result,as for being blinded my point is that many have joined the snp as they see it as the party that will get them independence, will these same people push the snp on other issues like health,education,law& order etc.

Very obviously some supporters of political parties give them an easy time on some issues where they don't agree with them. You'll have found numerous instances of SNP supporters on this very site criticise them for various policies. The most common theme seems to be that they're too authoritarian.

If you think this is a unique thing to the SNP then i'm not really sure what I can say to make you understand that it isn't. You're a Labour voter and I assume you don't spend a huge amount of time criticising the labour party?

Personally, I'm very comfortable disagreeing with the SNP on issues where I actually disagree with them. It's almost ludicrous to imagine that someone just happens to agree with everything one party says and disagree with the rest.

When you choose a party to support, you weigh up what their stance is on certain issues and also weigh up how important those issues are to you. In this respect, every party and their supporters are the same.

I dont feel oppressed i cast my vote and respect the democratic result,as for being blinded my point is that many have joined the snp as they see it as the party that will get them independence, will these same people push the snp on other issues like health,education,law& order etc.

Just like every other party, SNP have dyed in the wool supporters who will back the party regardless of what they do. Labour have had the same in Scotland until very recently, even when it was clear the whole ethos of the party had changed over the course of 20 years or so.

Plenty of people who voted for them have criticised the SNP on here, but you won't acknowledge that because it doesn't fit your SNP = BAAAAD agenda that you consistently plug.

Whether you like it or not, a lot of people in Scotland trust the SNP. They believe their futures are secure with them and, even after a long spell in Government, they look like maintaining or even increasing their majority in the 2016 Scottish Elections.

For the record, I'm still on the fence about who to vote for next year. I voted Green as my first preference at the recent council by-election and, with Patrick Harvie standing in my seat, I'm tempted to vote for them again next year. I agree that the SNP's record in Government isn't anywhere near as good as it could be. Education, law and order and the NHS should really be performing better and, if that doesn't improve, I can see a lot of swing voters looking to place their votes elsewhere. The big problem for the Scottish electorate though is that they don't feel they have a viable alternative. Labour are a shambles, the Tories are the Tories, the Lib Dems would be as well not standing in most seats for the success they're likely to have and the Greens are still struggling to get themselves into the mainstream. I wont mention the fringe nutters in Scottish like UKIP and the SSP.

New TNS poll just released. This is getting ridiculous now;

Constituency vote;

SNP 62% (SIXTY TWO)

Labour 20%

Tories 12%

Busted Flush 3%

List vote;

SNP 54%

Labour 20%

Tories 12%

Greens 8%

Lib Dems 4%

Poll was 1029 people.

Just unbelievable.

New TNS poll just released. This is getting ridiculous now;

Constituency vote;

SNP 62% (SIXTY TWO)

Labour 20%

Tories 12%

Busted Flush 3%

List vote;

SNP 54%

Labour 20%

Tories 12%

Greens 8%

Lib Dems 4%

Poll was 1029 people.

Just unbelievable.

:lol:

It'll be 99.9% by next May!

This poll highlights the biggest problem in Scottish politics at the moment. As much as I'm happy to see labour flounder, the SNP's lack of credible opposition is actually becoming a concern. From the same poll showing these staggering results, here's the population's opinion on the SNP's performance in Government in the main devolved areas;

Economy

Good 25%

Bad 24%

Neither 45%

NHS
Good 34%

Bad 29%

Neither 33%

Education

Good 34%

Bad 19%

Neither 40%

Crime and Justice

Good 23% (!)
Bad 29%

Neither 40%

Over the 4 main areas, roughly 30% of the population think that the SNP are doing a good job, yet over 60% plan to vote for the SNP? That's utter madness. The fact that roughly 40% people voted 'neither' in all 4 categories suggest they don't even care about their performance at Holyrood ffs :lol:

The SNP need proper opposition and quickly. This blind support isn't helping the poorest people in our society either as the SNP will get to the point where they will take this overwhelming support for granted.

Anti-science shite like banning GM crops should be getting properly challenged as well. But alas everyone else except the Greens is too busy banging their fists on their desks and screaming "STUPID SEPARATISTS!!!!!" over and over, and the fucking Greens actually support anti-science shite like banning GM crops.

This poll highlights the biggest problem in Scottish politics at the moment. As much as I'm happy to see labour flounder, the SNP's lack of credible opposition is actually becoming a concern. From the same poll showing these staggering results, here's the population's opinion on the SNP's performance in Government in the main devolved areas;

Economy

Good 25%

Bad 24%

Neither 45%

NHS

Good 34%

Bad 29%

Neither 33%

Education

Good 34%

Bad 19%

Neither 40%

Crime and Justice

Good 23% (!)

Bad 29%

Neither 40%

Over the 4 main areas, roughly 30% of the population think that the SNP are doing a good job, yet over 60% plan to vote for the SNP? That's utter madness. The fact that roughly 40% people voted 'neither' in all 4 categories suggest they don't even care about their performance at Holyrood ffs :lol:

The SNP need proper opposition and quickly. This blind support isn't helping the poorest people in our society either as the SNP will get to the point where they will take this overwhelming support for granted.

You wont find many on this site that agree with you about a strong opposition for the snp,as for the figures above i have said in a few posts that a majority dont care what the snp do as long as they get independence,the nhs figure is intersting perhaps the result would have been different if they read this story and thought the snp were using it as an election issue .

https://medium.com/@andrewpicken1/already-delayed-cancer-strategy-not-ready-until-2016-snp-ministers-admit-aafba4dfdcb4

You wont find many on this site that agree with you about a strong opposition for the snp,as for the figures above i have said in a few posts that a majority dont care what the snp do as long as they get independence,the nhs figure is intersting perhaps the result would have been different if they read this story and thought the snp were using it as an election issue .

https://medium.com/@andrewpicken1/already-delayed-cancer-strategy-not-ready-until-2016-snp-ministers-admit-aafba4dfdcb4

My point is though - who is the alternative to the SNP? Labour are a complete shambles, still bitter and not actually providing a credible alternative. The Tories, who look best organised, aren't taken seriously Scotland and the Lib Dems have effectively killed themselves getting into bed with the Tories.

Large chunks of the population clearly aren't happy with the SNP's performance in Government, yet will vote for them anyway because there isn't anyone else to vote for.

My point is though - who is the alternative to the SNP? Labour are a complete shambles, still bitter and not actually providing a credible alternative. The Tories, who look best organised, aren't taken seriously Scotland and the Lib Dems have effectively killed themselves getting into bed with the Tories.

Large chunks of the population clearly aren't happy with the SNP's performance in Government, yet will vote for them anyway because there isn't anyone else to vote for.

Agree with all of that.

Archived