Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

Just now, Boghead ranter said:

My Dad took a tumble after the game today (probs no wonder after the score/performance) - apparently quite a few Stenny fans helped make sure he got back to his lift home ok.

If that was any of you, thank you very much.

PS he's being lined up for CH by us for next week 🤣

Time for reflection. You don't win accolades in a quarter of a season but we must pay our respects to this management team and group of players - what they are doing for the football club is amazing and a joy to watch every week. Even when we have been tickled away from home they are still leaving it all out there on the pitch and that's all you can ask for as a fan.

We've now seen every team and if we can ever get a fully fit squad together Gary is going to have a headache but we must have an internal belief we can really do something this season. It's the strongest squad we have had in 30 odd years of following the club - we've had capable sides in the past but lacked depth. I really believe everyone in this squad adds value and can contribute over the season - case in point being James Berry who has been excellent in these last two games when called upon.

We have had loads of excellent performers. Taylor has looked like the best attacking player in the division, Bucky and DJ have brought stability to the backline, Kyle Banner has strolled it generally and Mikey Anderson continues to look like the complete package even up a level. 

Despite all of the above and it might have went under the radar but Ross Meechan has been our player of the quarter. Every single week he's been outstanding even when we have been bodied away from home. That's what you get from Meechs even when the chips are down he will turn up for battle. 

With all that in mind if @roman_bairn could have Strathcarron paid for Christmas I would be appreciative. An outsider with limited knowledge of the lower divisions exposed but credit to the champ for commiting to a charity bet he had no chance of winning.

I think Naysmith and Bomber have been brilliant in getting through to the players, they're getting 100% commitment from every one of them.

Fringe players have stepped in and stated their claim for starting positions. First 11 players have been reshuffled and played out of position due to injuries, they've all took it as a challenge and strived. Brilliant to see.

There seems to be a real unity amongst them and you see that no matter the result. 

We say it every week but DJ is phenomenal.  In my eyes, he could be our best ever signing. His reassurance at the back, kicking, cross taking and excellent shot stopping have won us so many points. Delighted that he's at our club. 

Got to mention the influence that the older players like Bucky, Meechs and Big Nat will be having on the younger lads. Showing decent levels of perseverance and determination, leading the team well. 

Brilliant start to the season. Keep going Warriors! 

Aye, it's been a superb start to the season. A couple of months ago, I was concerned about our preparation for the campaign ahead - I thought we looked short up front and lacked freshness, with sides like Dumbarton seemingly in better shape than we were - and I'm delighted to have been proven wrong so far. To have won 14 points from nine matches and unbeaten at home is a terrific achievement and the players, management and backroom staff should be proud of how it's all gone so far. There is a clear step up in quality between League 2 and League 1 and we've largely handled it well - we've been competitive in every match, given our opponents a decent game and, at times, looked impressive.

The squad has been put together well, it turns out! Darren Jamieson, as has been pointed out above me, is the best signing the club have made in the last 20 years and has continued to have such a transformative and galvanising effect on everyone around him. We have a solid defence with depth, our midfield have adapted to the new division and for all the talk of requiring a blockbuster centre-forward, goals have not been an issue. There were some players I suspected might struggle in the new division but, once more, no-one had looked out of their depth. James Berry, for instance, has gone from bit-part player to important contributor, and Nat Wedderburn, for all his lack of mobility, is still a key player. There are no jersey fillers within the team, guys who you've no faith in whenever they're involved, guys like Mark Ferrie or Ryan Tierney or Niyah Joseph, and everyone can add something when called upon.

Like Neilly, I think Ross Meechan has been the Player of the Quarter, if such an accolade were to exist. He's not flashy, he's not an accomplished passer or superlative dribbler, but he's the kind of player you want representing your club. Heart and soul and nothing less. Someone the supporters can look to and know they can trust. In hard games against Queen of the South and Inverness Caledonian Thistle, it's players like that who can dig out useful points for the team. Elsewhere, Mikey Anderson has looked the part, as we all expected, and Matty Aitken has stepped up over the last three matches. Let's keep it going

As the season progresses, sterner tests await - Arbroath have clearly improved since Jim McIntyre departed, Kelty Hearts have impressed, and Queens are a strong side, despite the weekend's chastening defeat - and there will no doubt be sticky patches, but we have a team we believe in and who will be fighting for us in the last garrison. What a group of boys. Enjoy it! Savour it! Let's build on this strong start.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2024 at 11:25, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm delighted to see Nicky Devlin has been called up to the Scotland squad for our upcoming Nations League games. I really liked him at Stenhousemuir and thought he was very hard done by Scott Booth, who released him because he "didn't think he was confident enough" and replaced him at right-back with Robbie Duncan.

It's been a blessing in disguise as Devlin has thrived since leaving Ochilview. I hope he does us a great turn.

And it was even better to see Nicky Devlin coming off the bench late on in last night's 0-0 draw with Portugal! His block on Rafael Leao was outstanding and he did himself and the country proud.

I'm so very happy for him and his family. What a career. It shows you - if you work hard and dedicate yourself to your craft, the rewards are there.

I appreciate Clyde supporters might be a little down on Euan Cameron but it's a short-term, low-risk, inexpensive signing to tide us over until our injury crisis abates. I hope he can do us a good turn whenever he's called upon.

Clyde fans always blame someone

Ross lyon, By far not our worst full back and silence rightly deafening to date

It was Euan Cameron fault for everything from wrong pass to train turning up at wrong time, from the Ross Lyon posters funny enough

Im not saying he.ll be winning MOTMs once in a while but good luck to the lad and wouldnt be suprised to see him settle in with bit of confidence

He's also coming into a settled environment under an excellent management team and solid dressing room.

He will be fine for bench filler until we can get the squad back to full strength.