Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

45 minutes ago, beaver1 said:

Ruaridh Donaldson from Bonnyrigg. Defender apparently. 

Interesting. I wonder where he plays - if he's a defender, I can only imagine him being a full-back as we seem well stocked at centre-back.

I hope I does us a good turn, we don't seem to have a lot of luck when it comes to signing boys from Junior or non-league football (unless someone can correct me).

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Interesting. I wonder where he plays - if he's a defender, I can only imagine him being a full-back as we seem well stocked at centre-back.

I hope I does us a good turn, we don't seem to have a lot of luck when it comes to signing boys from Junior or non-league football (unless someone can correct me).

He'll do ok Francesc he's a decent defender, easily good enough for lower league football. 

If he's a left-back then I imagine Ciaran Summers will be leaving the club. If that is the case, it's a damn shame, he looked like a smashing prospect when he broke into the team under Scott Booth at the end of 2013/14 but he always looked a little subdued since returning from his long injury in 2015/16, and the change in formation over the last few months of last season didn't really help either.

Who knows. We're still to hear about the futures of Stephen Stirling, David Crawford, Thomas Grant, Carlos Mazana-Martinez and Summers himself.

Donaldson is the brother of Dundee United defender Coll but seems to have his head screwed on a lot more and is apparently a decent guy. His dad admitted recently that Ruaridh was the more talented player but Coll got picked up at Livi and obviously got even better opportunities to improve. I'm sure he won Player of the Year last season at Bonnyrigg who are evidently one of the strongest junior teams right now so he should be decent enough but signings don't always work out as expected at this level.

42 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I'm much more comfortable taking a defender from Juniors/Lowland League. The overall standard is poor and strikers who score a ludicrous numbers of goals in those leagues often struggle to get close third of that in L2/L1

Murray ex Juniors seems to have done ok , Renton has done ok for himself also.?  Not a big difference between lower league and Top Junior League's. 

It's surely about the player, not what level they play at.

It's fair to say mostly League clubs will beat Junior clubs in competitive games but that's largely down to having a better overall squad. 

Still some excellent individuals playing at Junior level.

I'm much more comfortable taking a defender from Juniors/Lowland League. The overall standard is poor and strikers who score a ludicrous numbers of goals in those leagues often struggle to get close third of that in L2/L1

Not sure about the logic here. They're the same defenders letting those allegedly guff forwards bang in the goals?

Not sure about the logic here. They're the same defenders letting those allegedly guff forwards bang in the goals?

It's easier to quantify a forward's success. We've often signed 'non league' strikers with 20 or 30 plus goals to their name the season before. Invariably they score a handful and are then deemed not good enough.

There's far less pressure on an individual defender's stats. I've more confidence in a good non league defender doing an OK job in L1/2 than I do a striker who is expected to score

It's easier to quantify a forward's success. We've often signed 'non league' strikers with 20 or 30 plus goals to their name the season before. Invariably they score a handful and are then deemed not good enough.

With that in mind, what has happened to Jack Smith this season? I know he was loaned back to EK last year but has he been kept on for League 2?

Signing some keeper McMinn from Falkirk according to the Herald.

Lewis McMinn. He's been our 3rd choice 'keeper for the past couple of years. Never played for the first team but been first choice for our Under 20's. Was really surprised we let him go thought we might've kept him around as back-up to Robbie Thomson.

Good luck to him as he always looked good whenever I seen him although I'd imagine he'll just be back-up to Chris Smith.

McMinn is a very good keeper, needs to play real football to develop further now, better than back up for Smith, he'll be there to challenge and will be more than capable. That's what good young goalies need to do now, take a side step rather than being a 3rd choice, good luck to the boy taking up the challenge and not just wanting to sit as a training goalkeeper.

Suspect we need three more. Right back cover, right mid (wonder what Willis is up to) and one more striker. Guess we will use the loan market again so maybe only one more perm signing? Would take Connor Duthie back if he is available.