Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

I'm sorry to have missed last night's AGM, I didn't even know it was on.

Some interesting points raised, it would seem. I'm pleased to see us persist with the three-man defence next season, it served us well over the final few games of 2016/17 but we need to get quality wide players to make it work. Adam Strachan has been mentioned in dispatches - is he any good? He seemed like a really unpleasant guy in his younger days and that seemed to overshadow his ability.

I'm surprised to see Ciaran Summers is keen on full-time football at this stage. I'm pleased the boy has ambition but I'd be surprised to see a bigger club take a punt on after his indifferent form over the last two years - he might be prudent to stay at Stenhousemuir, keep his head down, regain the same level of performance he showed in 2014/15 and take things from there.

If Jim Paterson has been promoted to assistant manager, I presume Davie Irons has left the club? Or have they swapped roles?

Be interesting to see how the team shapes up in pre season league cup games. Hopefully everyone gels relatively quickly and we can put a good early season run together. 

Summers is good enough for full time football in my opinion but agree with what has been previously said about him just needing to get his head down and get a good run without injuries interrupting his season. Another season with us wouldn't do him any harm, I think he could do a decent job as a wing back in league 2 if we go ahead with the 3-5-2 formation. 

does anyone know much about the young lad that came in from the forth valley academy? If the manager rates him at such a young age it'll be interesting to see how he gets on. 

Any news on where Kerr has went? 

We've heard all this shite before about players from the academy. I won't hold my breathe on that one.

Summers is deluded if he thinks he's going full time on the basis of the last two seasons. He's now at a stage if he signs for us again he will be back up for Donaldson so it's head scratching to think a full time team will sign him.

Once we sign Duffie, Strachan and Furtado changes his mind it will be some time to be alive.

46 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Eddie Ferns on his way to Stenny from us apparently. If so be prepared for Stirling fans all over your threads raging at his mere existence.

Is he any good? My abiding memory of him is being pretty quick, but having little beyond that.

That's the boy. I think I remember being impressed by his pace when he played with Alloa Athletic but that was about it. If we're playing with a 3-5-2 system, I wonder if Ferns would have the discipline and intelligence to fulfil the win-back role. Who knows, if he does sign he might be arriving to beef up the numbers. Having a fast player to come off the bench isn't a bad thing.

2 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Eddie Ferns on his way to Stenny from us apparently. If so be prepared for Stirling fans all over your threads raging at his mere existence.

Jake probably thinking of a witty riposte to this. I'll return in September to see what he's said.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Is he any good? My abiding memory of him is being pretty quick, but having little beyond that.

A few Alloa fans and us Binos thought he started his career like a train, then quickly went downhill after that. One of those typical lower league players who is probably a better player than his performances suggest. He may just need the right manager to bring out the best in him.  

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Having a fast player to come off the bench isn't a bad thing.

That's Eddie's role. Hartley brought him to Alloa from amateur football and he was a different option from the bench with his pace. Even though he was a bit of a headless chicken he could unsettle defences. Ultimately a rather limited player, and I think he was fortunate at Alloa in that there were a few managerial changes and on each occasion the new man opted to give Eddie another chance when the previous one would almost certainly have freed him. 

However, whilst he often didn't offer much, he could now and again do something great. A fantastic solo goal in a 3-0 pumping of Falkirk. He also caused panic in the Rangers defence the night we came back from 2-0 to win 3-2.

For that, and perhaps helped by him subsequently enraging the Stirling faithful, he has a certain cult status at Alloa. Good luck to him if he lands up at Stenny.

Edited by Waspie

Don't really know what to make of this post.....my instincts tell me it's a piece of nonsense but I could be wrong.

He only re-signed at Arbroath about a month ago ( www.arbroathfc.co.uk/2017/05/arbroath-squad-2017-2018 ) so if this is true, what has changed?

As for Stirling fans raging, think we all know that was only 1 or 2 posters. At the time of signing, some (like myself) posted to give you the heads up that he was rotten at Stirling and could be rotten for you, as fellow fans do, but only the usual suspect(s) went into a rage. The guy didn't even get any abuse when he returned to Forthbank with Arbroath.

Don't really know what to make of this post.....my instincts tell me it's a piece of nonsense but I could be wrong.

He only re-signed at Arbroath about a month ago ( www.arbroathfc.co.uk/2017/05/arbroath-squad-2017-2018 ) so if this is true, what has changed?

As for Stirling fans raging, think we all know that was only 1 or 2 posters. At the time of signing, some (like myself) posted to give you the heads up that he was rotten at Stirling and could be rotten for you, as fellow fans do, but only the usual suspect(s) went into a rage. The guy didn't even get any abuse when he returned to Forthbank with Arbroath.

Budget needed elsewhere. They were all verbal agreements too.

I was very surprised when Ferns re-signed for us. He started 3/4 games for us and then for the rest was used a sub or not at all, often only coming on to run down the clock. What I imagine will have happened is that Ferns would have agreed to stay for the duration of friendlies and league cup group stages on the condition he'd be allowed to leave once the league started and we could look to exploit the loan market. It might just be that Stenny have offered him first team football, which we won't, and Dick hasn't stood in his way. The bit about Stirling fans was a joke, too [emoji6]

Budget needed elsewhere. They were all verbal agreements too.

I was very surprised when Ferns re-signed for us. He started 3/4 games for us and then for the rest was used a sub or not at all, often only coming on to run down the clock. What I imagine will have happened is that Ferns would have agreed to stay for the duration of friendlies and league cup group stages on the condition he'd be allowed to leave once the league started and we could look to exploit the loan market. It might just be that Stenny have offered him first team football, which we won't, and Dick hasn't stood in his way. The bit about Stirling fans was a joke, too [emoji6]

Ah, fair doos then lads [emoji1303]

I wouldn't be too bothered either way to be honest pace from the bench is not the worst thing in the world.

We are all basing this on one post from a walloper from Arbroath that he's signing anyway so let's just see what happens. 

Mind when that Clyde fan said we had signed McLaughlin? Exactly.