Stenhousemuir FC - The League 2 Champions - The 2024/25 Thread

12 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Chris Smith is alright. Probably an upgrade on Grant Adam but I'm not sure he's good enough for League 1 - I wasn't all that upset when he left Stenhousemuir at the end of the season. He's a big unit and can command his area well, especially at crosses, and he's capable of pulling off extraordinary saves from time to time. However, his distribution can be poor and he's prone to making mistakes more often than he should - there were a few times last season where he cost us goals. Graeme Smith, our current #1, is a better goalie.

1 minute ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Chris Smith is alright. Probably an upgrade on Grant Adam but I'm not sure he's good enough for League 1 - I wasn't all that upset when he left Stenhousemuir at the end of the season. He's a big unit and can command his area well, especially at crosses, and he's capable of pulling off extraordinary saves from time to time. However, his distribution can be poor and he's prone to making mistakes more often than he should - there were a few times last season where he cost us goals. Graeme Smith, our current #1, is a better goalie.

Cheers mate. It sounds like he'll do a job for us.

If he can command his area and make saves then he's pretty much an upgrade on Adam, even if his distribution is equally as shaky. How does he respond to mistakes? Robbie Mutch maybe will have felt he should've saved Arbroath's equaliser on Saturday, and basically became a bag of nerves after that which really didn't help an already chaotic defence. 

Just now, Ross Forbes said:

Cheers mate. It sounds like he'll do a job for us.

If he can command his area and make saves then he's pretty much an upgrade on Adam, even if his distribution is equally as shaky. How does he respond to mistakes? Robbie Mutch maybe will have felt he should've saved Arbroath's equaliser on Saturday, and basically became a bag of nerves after that which really didn't help an already chaotic defence. 

He just seems to get on with it, to be fair to him. There was never a point last season when his position in the team really came under threat from Lewis McMinn, despite some grumbles on these forums.

Dumbarton really should be looking to bring in someone they can rely on in January because Chris Smith (and Grant Adam and Robbie Mutch) are going to help propel them up the table.

15 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

He just seems to get on with it, to be fair to him. There was never a point last season when his position in the team really came under threat from Lewis McMinn, despite some grumbles on these forums.

Dumbarton really should be looking to bring in someone they can rely on in January because Chris Smith (and Grant Adam and Robbie Mutch) are going to help propel them up the table.

Hopefully be a more experienced guy (and less mad than Adam) might help settle things down a bit for the time being. I'm not sure if Smith or Jamie McGowan will start though - Aitken put him in against Raith, he conceded four in the first-half (none were his fault to be fair) and was dropped for Mutch the following week. Must've destroyed his confidence.

Jim Duffy certainly has some serious work to do in January. We desperately need a first-choice goalkeeper, left-back and two centre-backs. That's assuming that the outstanding Cammy Ballantyne has finally shaken off his injury curse that's kept him out for the most of the season too.

18 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Sounds like G Smith is doing well? Was great for City for several seasons albeit was prone to a meltdown at least once a year - but then had a tough time last year in the championship although was far from alone in that. Felt as tho it was the right time for him to move on when he did although would always wish him the best. For me, when you get your nickname read out by the match announcer before the game as well as/instead of your real name, you're in danger of starting to believe your own hype (beware, Paul 'Pabs' McLean); is he getting that treatment yet or is that too soon? 

2 hours ago, Infirmary Street said:

Sounds like G Smith is doing well? Was great for City for several seasons albeit was prone to a meltdown at least once a year - but then had a tough time last year in the championship although was far from alone in that. Felt as tho it was the right time for him to move on when he did although would always wish him the best. For me, when you get your nickname read out by the match announcer before the game as well as/instead of your real name, you're in danger of starting to believe your own hype (beware, Paul 'Pabs' McLean); is he getting that treatment yet or is that too soon? 

He's been one of our best signings and was the man of the match in recent matches with Montrose and Forfar Athletic. He yelled "mon the Warriors!" when he was presented with his award in the Wee Bar after the Montrose game, which was very endearing, but I can't imagine his modest popularity would ever go to his head.

• 2 weeks later...
That's Bomber sacked!
CLICK

Is that as much a surprise as it was to me? I mean Stenny weren’t flying, but for a newly promoted club you were doing alright, and he always seemed like a popular guy.

Annoyed me when I saw fans of other clubs saying stuff like this when we emptied Aitken after 15 months of pretty much constant drivel though. So feel free to shoot me down.

3 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Is that as much a surprise as it was to me? I mean Stenny weren’t flying, but for a newly promoted club you were doing alright, and he always seemed like a popular guy.

Annoyed me when I saw fans of other clubs saying stuff like this when we emptied Aitken after 15 months of pretty much constant drivel though. So feel free to shoot me down.

I'm astonished, I really didn't expect it. We're probably where most people expected us to be when the season started. Recent results haven't been great - and neither has the level of performance too - but it's a tight league and there's still a long way to go in the season. I don't get it.

When Dumbarton emptied Stevie Aitken, only a thicko or someone who pays zero attention to the club had something to say about it, but anyone who knew what was going on agreed it was bang on. I don't know about this call.