The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

1 hour ago, Mon eh Ton said:

I imagine most teams would declare their cup match income based on actual attendance rather than the theoretical number of tickets "sold", so this probably has no impact on the amount Morton receive. We'll get a decent amount I'm sure, but I wouldn't expect it to be a season changer.

i know someone on the board of a Prem club and he seems to think it's based on tickets sold rather than numbers through the turnstiles. He gave the example of if they give away comps for a cup game for free, they still need to give half the value of the ticket to the away team so losing money themselves.

Let hope Celtic fans come out for "AngeBall" anyway, best fans in the world and all that. Hopefully its on the Saturday which should help.

On the season changer, i think the minimum we will get is 6 figures( assuming its on TV which is 30k odd), so absolutely is a season changer. Will allow us  to bring 2/3  good players in the window to hopefully cement top 4 and have a shot at the title.

Dougie already had assurances that money was available( Thanks Dalrada) for a few players in Jan before we drew Celtic. This money might just allow him to go for players who were previously out our reach. 

Should be an interesting window. 

1 hour ago, madton said:

i know someone on the board of a Prem club and he seems to think it's based on tickets sold rather than numbers through the turnstiles. He gave the example of if they give away comps for a cup game for free, they still need to give half the value of the ticket to the away team so losing money themselves.

Aye, but we are not talking the physical sale of a ticket here, we are talking about a direct debit to season ticket holders.

Do they get automatically posted a ticket? Or added to a season card and only converts to a 'ticket' when scanned at the turnstile with the rest easily syphoned off into a different pot.

The SFA rules use the terminology 'gate receipts' and 'admission charges'. We are due a 37.5% share of whatever Celtic declare those to be.

18 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Aye, but we are not talking the physical sale of a ticket here, we are talking about a direct debit to season ticket holders.

Do they get automatically posted a ticket? Or added to a season card and only converts to a 'ticket' when scanned at the turnstile with the rest easily syphoned off into a different pot.

The SFA rules use the terminology 'gate receipts' and 'admission charges'. We are due a 37.5% share of whatever Celtic declare those to be.

They get automatically added to their season cards so can just walk up and scan on the day.

2 hours ago, madton said:

They get automatically added to their season cards so can just walk up and scan on the day.

I believe his point was that even if Celtic have around 30,000 people paid up on their cup scheme, if only 20,000 attend the game then we're getting a cut of that 20,000.

2 hours ago, North British 2 said:

Do Morton intend spending any of their Scottish Cup windfall monies on extending your right backs contract .? If not can you drive him down the coast to the capital of Ayrshire where he will be made most welcome....

I am sure Imrie would like to secure the services of Grimshaw on a longer term basis, so I’m assuming it will be more down to what the player wants himself.  

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets offered something at a higher level (as he is undoubtedly good enough to still play in the premiership), or maybe takes something down south to be closer to his family etc.

If he stays in the championship I would be amazed if he went to another club instead of staying with ourselves unless they were offering more money and a longer contract (which is unlikely to be the case).

I would expect that conversations have taken place already but clearly nothing concluded yet.  I am sure that Imrie will have a few options to replace him lined up in the event of him moving on.

One move that wouldn’t surprise me is Grimshaw going to Livi with Brandon coming back the opposite way - either on a loan or signed til the end of the season.  He doesn’t seem to have featured much since going there - not sure if he has had injury issues or just been out of favour but I would be more than happy with him as a replacement for Grimshaw if he did move on

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I believe the away side get 42% of the cash taken in, so nothing for comps. There's an agreement, probably formal,  if season ticket holders get in for "free". Some teams won't include the wee cups on their seasons.

Where do you get 42% from?

3 hours ago, North British 2 said:

Do Morton intend spending any of their Scottish Cup windfall monies on extending your right backs contract .? If not can you drive him down the coast to the capital of Ayrshire where he will be made most welcome....

There's not a chance he goes to Ayr.

We will obviously be looking to keep him. The only barrier I envisage is as said above - if he gets an offer back up a league or wants to head back down south.

f**k it, on second thoughts, straight swap for Akinyemi. Deal?

1 hour ago, Mon eh Ton said:

I believe his point was that even if Celtic have around 30,000 people paid up on their cup scheme, if only 20,000 attend the game then we're getting a cut of that 20,000.

I know his point, my point is I think we still get a cut of the 30000 not 20000, even if 10k stay in the house.

A fan is committing to buying a ticket, it comes out their bank and is added to their season card so i believe we are entitled a cut of that. Celtic can't just keep that I don't think, regardless if the fan shows up or not. 

It's the same as me buying a ticket for Morton end but not going cause I'm sick that day. Celtic are entitled to a cut, Morton can't just keep that to themselves.

I doubt we will actually find out right enough.

19 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Where do you get 42% from?

In the Final, you deduct 15% and then split the revenue (57.5%/42.5%). For previous rounds it’s somewhat closer to 55/45.:

“8 Admission Prices and Shares of Gates
8.1 Subject to Regulation 8.5, in all rounds of the Competition, excluding the Final Round, the Home Club shall charge Board Minimum Recommended Prices of Ground Admission or such higher admission prices as it chooses to charge, whichever is the greater, for each of (i) Adults; and (ii), Senior Citizens and Juveniles, and the aggregate sum received and to be received by the Home Club from such charges, shall, after deducting 10% for retention by the Home Club and after adding all net revenue (after payment of the reasonable charges of any contractor engaged to broadcast and/or manage the broadcasting of the relevant match) derived from the streaming or other broadcasting of the match, be divided equally between the two Clubs participating in each Match, and the Home Club shall, on receipt of a valid VAT invoice from the Visiting Club, make of the sum so due by the Home Club to the Visiting Club. Prior to the commencement of the Competition in each Season, the Board shall fix the Minimum Recommended Prices of Ground Admission or if the Board does not so fix the Minimum Recommended Prices of Ground Admission same shall be deemed to be those which applied in the immediately preceding Competition. Unless and until altered by the Board the Minimum Recommended Prices of Ground Admission shall be as stated below. The share of admission money and net broadcasting revenue in terms of this Regulation must be paid to the Visiting Club within ten days of the date of the relevant Match. Any Club failing to pay, detail or return as before provided, or any Club or club failing immediately to report non-payment of any sum due to it in terms of this Regulation, shall be deemed to be in breach of these Regulations and shall be dealt with in accordance with Section J of the Rules.”

13 minutes ago, madton said:

I know his point, my point is I think we still get a cut of the 30000 not 20000, even if 10k stay in the house.

A fan is committing to buying a ticket, it comes out their bank and is added to their season card so i believe we are entitled a cut of that. Celtic can't just keep that I don't think, regardless if the fan shows up or not. 

It's the same as me buying a ticket for Morton end but not going cause I'm sick that day. Celtic are entitled to a cut, Morton can't just keep that to themselves.

I doubt we will actually find out right enough.

The applicable regs ain’t the clearest, but suggests it’s in the door numbers:

“8.6 In all rounds of the Competition, excluding the Final Round, each Home Club or club must return to the Company and to the opposing Club or club, within seven days of each such Match, the number of spectators admitted to the ground, in accordance with Regulations 8.1 and 8.5, and the numbers of such spectators admitted as (i) adults; and as (ii) Senior Citizens and Juveniles, together with the receipts and admission price(s) in relation to each of (i) and (ii) received and to be received by the Home Club as a result of such admissions.”

11 minutes ago, madton said:

* shouldn't

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

In the Final, you deduct 15% and then split the revenue (57.5%/42.5%). For previous rounds it’s somewhat closer to 55/45.:

“8 Admission Prices and Shares of Gates
8.1 Subject to Regulation 8.5, in all rounds of the Competition, excluding the Final Round, the Home Club shall charge Board Minimum Recommended Prices of Ground Admission or such higher admission prices as it chooses to charge, whichever is the greater, for each of (i) Adults; and (ii), Senior Citizens and Juveniles, and the aggregate sum received and to be received by the Home Club from such charges, shall, after deducting 10% for retention by the Home Club and after adding all net revenue (after payment of the reasonable charges of any contractor engaged to broadcast and/or manage the broadcasting of the relevant match) derived from the streaming or other broadcasting of the match, be divided equally between the two Clubs participating in each Match, and the Home Club shall, on receipt of a valid VAT invoice from the Visiting Club, make of the sum so due by the Home Club to the Visiting Club. Prior to the commencement of the Competition in each Season, the Board shall fix the Minimum Recommended Prices of Ground Admission or if the Board does not so fix the Minimum Recommended Prices of Ground Admission same shall be deemed to be those which applied in the immediately preceding Competition. Unless and until altered by the Board the Minimum Recommended Prices of Ground Admission shall be as stated below. The share of admission money and net broadcasting revenue in terms of this Regulation must be paid to the Visiting Club within ten days of the date of the relevant Match. Any Club failing to pay, detail or return as before provided, or any Club or club failing immediately to report non-payment of any sum due to it in terms of this Regulation, shall be deemed to be in breach of these Regulations and shall be dealt with in accordance with Section J of the Rules.”

Rules i read say the SFA take 5%, home club retain 20% to cover costs, remaining 75% split evenly.

So home club get 57.5%, away club get 37.5%.), sfa 5%.

Can't find the rules on the SFA website right now.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Rules i read say the SFA take 5%, home club retain 20% to cover costs, remaining 75% split evenly.

So home club get 57.5%, away club get 37.5%.), sfa 5%.

Can't find the rules on the SFA website right now.

Understand…I found these:

https://spfl.co.uk/admin/filemanager/images/shares/pdfs/SPFL Trust Trophy Regulations 2021-22.pdf

The 57.5/37.5 sounds more like the League Cup.

21 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Misread it, apologies…

No worries.

The figures I quoted were from the last set of Scottish Cup rules I read.

Similarly, they talk about 'gate receipts' and 'admission charges' rather than ticket sales or revenue, so similarly, if Celtic want to play games with their interpretation of that, the outdated wording provides that opportunity.

10 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

No worries.

The figures I quoted were from the last set of Scottish Cup rules I read.

Similarly, they talk about 'gate receipts' and 'admission charges' rather than ticket sales or revenue, so similarly, if Celtic want to play games with their interpretation of that, the outdated wording provides that opportunity.

It’s Celtic…they’ll do anything for money, whores!

• 2 weeks later...