The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

No mention of the length of contract there.

Even though it's just empty words at this point and it says nothing about how it'll translate to the budget etc, it's good to see Rae explicitly talking about the top flight. Duffy would have been running for the hills at the thought of the club having the temerity to even hint at a target, so hopefully McKinnon isn't going to be afraid to accept that we actually have ambitions and he has to meet them.

Edited by Dunning1874

9 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Even though it's just empty words at this point and it says nothing about how it'll translate to the budget etc, it's good to see Rae explicitly talking about the top flight. Duffy would have been running for the hills at the thought of the club having the temerity to even hint at a target, so hopefully McKinnon isn't going to be afraid to accept that we actually have ambitions and he has to meet them.

1 year/ 1 year rolling been mentioned!

Agreed, it's a refreshing change of rhetoric. Should lessen the debates about whether the Club's ambitions match the ambitions of the fans and they can be judged accordingly.

We got rid of Duffy because he appeared to have taken us as far as he could, I will always be grateful for a hampden day out and finally beating the midden, but upwards and onwards. McKinnon wouldn't have been my first choice but as long as there is progression he will have my support.

13 hours ago, MrDust said:

Neither.....

You still haven't answered the question.

McKinnon is an upgrade on Duffy IMO but the club's ambitious rhetoric about achieving top flight football really doesn't fit with this pick. Unless the budget is going to be pumped up without additional earnings, we need to gamble on finding a very good manager to have a good shot at promotion from this league; without that, you're relying on several teams above you having a disastrous campaign and considerable luck in the play-offs.  McKinnon is largely a known quantity though and he's much more likely to offer 'solid progression' instead of a promotion charge. 

Given that the fanbase has just experienced several years of pragmatic but turgid Duffyball, the onus will be on McKinnon to hit the ground running. 

27 minutes ago, virginton said:

You still haven't answered the question.

McKinnon is an upgrade on Duffy IMO but the club's ambitious rhetoric about achieving top flight football really doesn't fit with this pick. Unless the budget is going to be pumped up without additional earnings, we need to gamble on finding a very good manager to have a good shot at promotion from this league; without that, you're relying on several teams above you having a disastrous campaign and considerable luck in the play-offs.  McKinnon is largely a known quantity though and he's much more likely to offer 'solid progression' instead of a promotion charge. 

Given that the fanbase has just experienced several years of pragmatic but turgid Duffyball, the onus will be on McKinnon to hit the ground running. 

Failure even when the odds are stacked in his favour

While I'm very much in the 'wait and see what happens' frame of mind about this appointment rather than excitement, if McKinnon does end up being a success then it's going to be great dragging up the comments made about Duffy's sacking by every single fucking guest on Sportsound for the last month.

16423339-Kevin-Keegan_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq4imjW0Q7nSWAOC8fLXvIy43_VAEW5nZafGmERDsD544.jpg.16abf70f275a8277e9328fc4c0e34011.jpg

1 hour ago, Sittìng on the fence said:

McKinnon was able to sign some decent players at UTD , not be able to do that on the Morton budget unless the directors dig deep. 

Not true to say that McKinnon can only build a good Championship side with a big budget. He got into the playoffs with Raith (in a year when Hibs and Rangers were both in the league).

I think folk are being negative because they were hoping for Hopkin. That was knackered as soon as Livi won the playoffs, boosting his profile.

15 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

I didn't bring Duffy up - there were specific questions asked about whether McKinnon was an upgrade or questioning whether we should have got rid of Jim or not. Nothing wrong with answering them. I'll let him be when he let's his sacking be and people stop pining for his return.

Forgive me for actually engaging in the conversation on here and joining in the topics. Would you be more comfortable if i stopped slagging Duffy and resorted to digs at other posters instead because that's all you seem to have in your locker?

Aww pet, don't be so sensitive. I said what I said because there's no denying that all you did last season was make post after post after post about how bad a job the Duff was doing, and even now that he's been gone for a month you've carried in much as before. It does become extremely tedious.

This isn't a defence of Duffy btw. I think there was a narrow window for him to aim at where he would have kept his job - ie finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th and lose out in the playoffs after a decent performance. Lower than 4th should have been sackable -7th definitely was -and even if he'd won the playoffs if our new chairman has any balls he should've been ready to say "thanks Jim but if we stick with you we'll be coming straight back down again". But now that I've said it once I won't feel the need to say it again. Or again.