Euro 2016 tickets

Mr Bairn

Anyone else thinking of applying?

Me and 4 mates are thinking of either doing a roadtrip or one of those interrail things to travel between the host cities so we can do it on the cheap relatively speaking, we'd like to take in a handful of games

The problem is with the ticket application stage, now obviously we're going to see what we get before making concrete plans but the application stage is really screwed up

1. If you apply for tickets you're compelled to buy them if you win the ballot, so it's not a case of entering the ballot for every single match then seeing what you'd like to buy when they're offered to you. You can apply for every game but you're taking your chances because you might win every single ballot and then be on the hook for tens of thousands of Euros. There is some kind of reselling opportunity but it's not until April.

2. You can only apply for 4 tickets and they're named and personalised. Now I'm gonna be in a group of 5, so say I apply for three tickets per game for ten matches and my mate applies for two tickets per game for the same ten matches, and I manage to get all 30 tickets and my mate gets none, we can't agree to split them so that we all get 6 tickets each, me and my two mates that I must name when I apply would have to go to all ten games and my other two mates would be left hoping for resell opportunities.

3. Payment is by credit card only. Seemingly I can't use my VisaDebit that I literally use for everything else.

4. The ballot treats every match as a completely different event, so you have as much chance of getting every ticket you request as you do of getting nothing. It will literally take the amount of requests for match 1, randomise them, then do the same for match 2,3,4 etc. Surely a fairer way we be to randomise all of the applicants, put them in a queue. Whoever is lucky enough to be at the top of the queue gets his/her first choice, then goes to the back of the queue. Then the second person gets their highest remaining choice and goes to the back until the queue is exhausted. Then after everyone has been allocated something if possible, it randomises again and repeats the process until all the tickets are gone

Basically it's something I'd really like to do but as the one in the group that's kinda suggested it all I need to take responsibility for all the planning and it's stressing me out a lot. So if anyone else is wanting to go or has dealt with these ballots in the past, we can use this thread for discussing the process.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The exact same ballot system was used in Brazil last year for the World Cup. There were still loads of tickets flying about over there, as well as ticket centres in every city selling returns etc. Although the tickets have names on them, it won't be enforced that you'd need to attend each game, so you could easily pass them to friends.

My problem is with the credit card thing too. I have a VisaDebit, although someone I know said that this will be fine. It was fine for using when I was asked for a credit card to buy NFL tickets in America.

I'm thinking of setting up a savings account and getting my mates to transfer money into it, then put it all into my bank account for the allocation period, but it's a bit of a faff. If we don't get all the games, then we could use the money for accommodation I suppose.

I initially thought that every ticket you'd apply for would have to have someone's name printed on it. However, it now looks as if the only person who's name will be on the tickets is the person who has applied. This will mean that people can put in multiple applications. The trick here was to get quite a few people to set up accounts and ask them to apply on behalf of you. A few people are worried in case they're gonna be left with thousands of euros worth of tickets. No chance of this happening as this application is going to be flooded. We've sent away for a sh#t load of tickets but will probably be lucky to get anything. If, for some strange quirk of fate anyone actually gets too many tickets, I wouldn't worry. Their'll be plenty of guys on here or elsewhere willing to take them off their hands (face value only).

Applied for a few tickets for the paris and lens games,thought it would be better to stick to the north of france as its less travel etc,applied for tickets in the 55€ price group,dont know if it gives you a better chance of tickets but the 25€ group is strong demand for pretty much every game i looked at.

How can you check the demand for tickets? Got credit card sorted now so might tweak my application.

its just a case of clicking on the city/game you fancy and it should tell you what the demand is like,

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered 4 tickets for the opening game on the Friday and then the other game in Paris on the Sunday, see what happens, I'm confident of going over there and picking up tickets no bother anyway. Was the deadline today?

Hopefully the draw for the tickets is soon, should be cracking!

Ordered 4 tickets for the opening game on the Friday and then the other game in Paris on the Sunday, see what happens, I'm confident of going over there and picking up tickets no bother anyway. Was the deadline today?

Hopefully the draw for the tickets is soon, should be cracking!

Yeah, you are guaranteed to know by 15th August.

Archived