Stripping

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just bought a house and the place is covered in woodchip wallpaper. What's the best way to remove it? I've spent the last hour reading various forums. Steamer and scraper the way to go? Or would the walls take a skim of plaster to cover it up?

Buy a wallpaper scorer. Will cost you about £10.

Go over the whole room with it.

Then put washing up liquid in hot water and soak about 3-4 sq meters. Leave it for 5-10 minutes. Then soak it again. Soak it as heavily as you can - use a paint brush or, better still, a slusher (wallpaper pasting brush). Make sure you have a good quality scraper - one that doesn't bend, at all! If you use enough water and leave it to soak long enough (you probably won't - no one ever does) it'll come off.

Alternatively buy some DIF wallpaper stripper - it's a chemical stripper and it works. Still use the scorer first. If you can't get a scorer use the edge of your scraper.

The afore-mentioned steam stripper will work too - again, still score the paper first. You must keep the plate on the paper long enough for it to penetrate it.

The key is patience and letting the water, steam or chemical do the work for you.

I own a painting & decorating business.

My niece is having her living room papered and painted (not the woodwork). No change out of £800

Whilst not knowing the room size, if the room is to be stripped first and if the decorators are going to line the walls prior to hanging the wallpaper then it could easilly come to that.

Consider that the material cost when wallpapering is always considerably higher than painting and that hanging wallpaper takes considerably longer.

For example - we used wallpaper a fortnight ago that was £85 a roll and a little further back, £70 farrow and ball hand printed stuff.

Go on wallpaper direct and you'll find prices that will make your eyes water!

Must have been where i was going wrong, was tedious as f**k when i last did it though

Often people use cheap scrapers that are thin, too sharp and bend. They're useless but it's hard to justify, I suppose, spending £15 on a good scraper if you don't use it often.

It's the same when people paint themselves. They buy a pack of brushes for £5 and wonder why it takes ages and looks a mess. I blame the makers of these products incidentally, they're simply not fit for purpose and play on the customers lack of knowledge.

I used a bucket of cold water and washing up liquid. Washed down the walls. Left it for 5 minutes and it came off much easier than using the steamer

I bought a steamer for £30 and polycell wallpaper stripper. Thanks for all of the advice on here.

Archived