andriod boxes / Kodi

Sorry lads, simpleton question time! Had kodi on the laptop at various points but always got fed up re-installing stuff etc. due to being a lazy b*****d. Are these (pre-loaded)?boxes any better from the point of view of keeping themselves up to date with latest streams or do you still have to do all that yourself?

Sorry lads, simpleton question time! Had kodi on the laptop at various points but always got fed up re-installing stuff etc. due to being a lazy b*****d. Are these (pre-loaded)?boxes any better from the point of view of keeping themselves up to date with latest streams or do you still have to do all that yourself?

What did you have to reinstall?? Once the addons are installed there shouldnt really be anything else to do. Sometimes they need updated but you can set them to do that automatically. Kodi on android is basically the same as on the PC in that respect.

Sorry phrased badly. Found addons were good for a few weeks then they would stop working and there'd be another "great new addon for the football" then that'd go to the ground shortly after too. More stable now? I just find it a pain in the arse installing addons and want to pick one of these up at the point the addons become more settled/long term basically? Are we there yet?

Sorry phrased badly. Found addons were good for a few weeks then they would stop working and there'd be another "great new addon for the football" then that'd go to the ground shortly after too. More stable now? I just find it a pain in the arse installing addons and want to pick one of these up at the point the addons become more settled/long term basically? Are we there yet?

No! Thats almost certainly never going to happen.

In answer to your question, no, buying a box isnt going to make any difference. The only thing you might find is that the box comes pre-loaded with an addon you didnt know about that turns out to be good. But, there are so many preinstalled its not worth your while going through them all to find out!

I take it Genesis is still finding streams then? Do me a favour, check the latest series of The Blacklist and see if there are any HD streams :) Exodus only ever has SD but it has HD for other shows.

Certainly not denying that the boxes are great value for money and very useful. But I still wouldnt give up Sky etc to rely on one

Specto-...Fork

Open Specto/Tools/Settings/General/Playback/Max quality/1080.

Also Tools/Clear sources/Clear cache.

Have to say for all the big football games fox sports 1 and 2 streams are excellent on Phoenix and bulldog streams. Perfect HD with no buffering. Does get frustrating sometimes when you can't get a stream but most mainstream events have decent streams. PPV boxing NHL golf etc.

Yes!

Guess the grey area of legality just got a whole lot blacker

Possibly not, I think the boxes referred to are the ones that actually provide a satellite signal instead of normal streaming like kodi.

Possibly not, I think the boxes referred to are the ones that actually provide a satellite signal instead of normal streaming like kodi.

Thats probably what most of the pubs had, but there isnt anything in the article that specifically distinguishes between that and Kodi

Kieron Sharp, Fact's director general, said: "Pub landlords, as well as the general public, need to be aware that IPTV and set-top boxes with apps and add-ons allowing the streaming of pirated TV, sports and films are very much illegal.

I'd say that pretty much covers both, wouldnt you?

Thats probably what most of the pubs had, but there isnt anything in the article that specifically distinguishes between that and Kodi

I'd say that pretty much covers both, wouldnt you?

Fair point it probably does yeah

Fair point it probably does yeah

I think its fair to point out, though, that this isnt a new development. Its not the result of a change on law or anything like that. 

Seems the operation was targeted at the suppliers of, not only, the boxes but the servers providing the streams too - presumably they were selling them to the pubs as a package, rather than leaving pubs scrabbling around looking for streams.

Thats pretty consistent with, what seems to be, the stance of the broadcasters and law enforcement. Their targets are the source rather than the end users.

While it might quash the idea that streaming copyright material is in any way legal its not going to change things day to day for any of us.

I do wonder, though, if it means the focus will shift to the sellers of pre-loaded Kodi boxes, sooner rather than later. Im guessing that the broadcasters make significantly more money from pubs and clubs than they do from individual customers, but these sellers must be on their radar

I think its fair to point out, though, that this isnt a new development. Its not the result of a change on law or anything like that.

Seems the operation was targeted at the suppliers of, not only, the boxes but the servers providing the streams too - presumably they were selling them to the pubs as a package, rather than leaving pubs scrabbling around looking for streams.

Thats pretty consistent with, what seems to be, the stance of the broadcasters and law enforcement. Their targets are the source rather than the end users.

While it might quash the idea that streaming copyright material is in any way legal its not going to change things day to day for any of us.

I do wonder, though, if it means the focus will shift to the sellers of pre-loaded Kodi boxes, sooner rather than later. Im guessing that the broadcasters make significantly more money from pubs and clubs than they do from individual customers, but these sellers must be on their radar

I'm sure at some point last year they were targeting my he sellers of pre loaded boxes. If I mind right they were just trawling through eBay and gumtree and then taking the addresses and heading out to them.

I'm sure at some point last year they were targeting my he sellers of pre loaded boxes. If I mind right they were just trawling through eBay and gumtree and then taking the addresses and heading out to them.

Really? Fair enough. Obviously not as newsworthy as a big bust

Really? Fair enough. Obviously not as newsworthy as a big bust

I was under the impression, possibly wrongly, that most of the boxes were despatched from abroad like a mates from China which would obviously be outwith our laws jurisdiction.

I was under the impression, possibly wrongly, that most of the boxes were despatched from abroad like a mates from China which would obviously be outwith our laws jurisdiction.

They're probably made there, and a lot are probably shipped direct, but the one I bought was shipped from the UK ... it was even fulfilled by Amazon!

I guess its a tricky one to police. The boxes, of course, arent illegal and neither is Kodi. 

They're probably made there, and a lot are probably shipped direct, but the one I bought was shipped from the UK ... it was even fulfilled by Amazon!

I guess its a tricky one to police. The boxes, of course, arent illegal and neither is Kodi.

I think the genie is out the bottle and the authorities will always be one step behind thankfully. Remember taping is killing music from the 70's I think;)

I think the genie is out the bottle and the authorities will always be one step behind thankfully. Remember taping is killing music from the 70's I think;)

:lol:

Yeah and all that tape-to-tape copying we used to do of C64 and Spectrum games killed the video game industry

:lol:

Yeah and all that tape-to-tape copying we used to do of C64 and Spectrum games killed the video game industry

I bought all 4 of my ZX Spectrum games.....Horace goes skiing anyone? I do recall loading hundreds of lines of code from some magazine for some 'game' though and thought I was quite clever when it actually worked!! You are obviously the reason Sir Clive went down the tubes:o