Party at the Palace

HTG

I like Nile Rodgers as a person, but don't understand why he is treated as some kind of demigod for his music. He has produced a lot of pretty good albums but Chic weren't even rated at the time, but are now revered as musical geniuses. I don't get it.

Can't answer the question bob but the set they played was fuckin unbelievable live. Not just Chic stuff to be fair so the range was pretty good. Great rendition of Let's Dance. I was in the same boat as Fuzzy - very much on the leave side of take it or leave it but he just nailed it.

I like Nile Rodgers as a person, but don't understand why he is treated as some kind of demigod for his music. He has produced a lot of pretty good albums but Chic weren't even rated at the time, but are now revered as musical geniuses. I don't get it.

This. Ever since Get Lucky came out, he's been treated like he's a golden god when not long prior to that, his music was often the subject of ridicule.

Ridiculed by who?

I watched something on TV not all that long ago about Nile Rogers (BBC4 or Sky Arts, IIRC), with contributions from many other top musicians and artists, and Nile Rogers seems to be pretty well respected, a big influence on many, and an innovator.

Ridiculed generally as cheap, cheesy disco. Which it largely is. Was that documentary before or after Get Lucky came out, out of interest?

Archived