Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Fide

A PS4 exclusive this one, and looks pretty tasty. I think I'll download this at the weekend. Anyone else?

"Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is based around six characters, each telling their own story, and each connected to landmarks in the world that evolve as the game progresses. The game takes place in a village in Shropshire during the apocalypse."

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-review/1900-6416215/

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm about 4 hours or so into it and whilst it may not be for those with a short attention span, if you stick with it, it'll repay you handsomely. One of the most atmospheric games I've played in a long time.

The graphics are stunning. They've managed to pull of the look and feel of a rural English village perfectly. The music is incredible and the voice acting is genuinely superb.

It's a definite recommend.

Seems to be getting panned in a lot of places for being too much of a walking simulator. It undoubtedly looks amazing, and the atmosphere is spot on, but most reviews complain about the actual game-play.

Games are diversifying like never before. This to me is more of an overall experience than a game. Like a film or radio play you take part in and where you're given the opportunity to unravel the story for yourself.

It's probably not for those with a low patience threshold but I'm absolutely hooked.

Undoubtedly a beautiful looking game (although the PS4 occasionally craps it's self and framerate drops to single figures) and the music is great, but as a videogame it's just not there.

The walk pace and run pace have no discernible difference, seriously it's only taking so long because it takes bloody ages to get to the next trigger event to move the story along. There's no exploration really needed either as your not solving puzzles or anything, just walk slowly to the ghostly figure, listen to some story then follow the orb to next event. I never cared for the character we were playing as, well there was no personal connection. There is no game here, in fact I can't even bring myself to complete it as it's too much of a slog

If this was an audio book or radio show I would recommend it, but as a game this never got it. A lot of praise seem to be because it's viewed as 'art' rather than as a game....sums it up really. I would recommend Gone Home or the Walking Dead games over this.

If this was an audio book or radio show I would recommend it, but as a game this never got it. A lot of praise seem to be because it's viewed as 'art' rather than as a game....sums it up really. I would recommend Gone Home or the Walking Dead games over this.

I don't think it's fair to compare them really.

Yes it isn't overflowing with gameplay and yes it's a departure from the norm, but I found it an incredible experience.

Take The Last of Us for example. That didn't offer anything new in terms of gameplay or fighting mechanics, but as an overall experience, it hit you in your stomach. This has the same overall experience feel for me.

As for not having any connection to the character you play, I don't think you're supposed to. It's all about discovering Yaughton Valley, it's characters, places and events.

I also got the soundtrack yesterday, it's beautiful.

I don't think it's fair to compare them really.

Gone Home is almost the exact same story telling mechanic, It's perfectly fair to compare them. The difference is Gone Home has more exploration, game interaction and feels more intimate as if I was a part of the story. EGTTR didn't need me at all to do anything, I as the gamer was inconsequential to the story.

Gone Home is almost the exact same story telling mechanic, It's perfectly fair to compare them. The difference is Gone Home has more exploration, game interaction and feels more intimate as if I was a part of the story. EGTTR didn't need me at all to do anything, I as the gamer was inconsequential to the story.

That's the thing. Gone Home had interaction and gameplay. EGTTR has neither and doesn't shirk from this, it embraces it.

I finished the "game" last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. As a package, I felt it was outstanding. The music, the graphics, the voice acting, the story, all utterly fantastic. And what it lacked in gameplay and connection to the character being played added to the intimacy of it.

It's a game that stays in your memory.

I as the gamer was inconsequential to the story.

That's what a lot of reviews seem to be saying. You're a visitor into a much more exciting story, just picking up the pieces from that. Not bad in itself, but when you're not given much agency over things, you can't help but imagine the better story you could've been involved in.

• 4 months later...

Only just picked this up yesterday and completed just now. An absolutely stunning piece of work to be honest. Soundtrack is out of this world good, beautiful to look at and voice acting great. Some of the conversations at points were heartbreaking.

Only just picked this up yesterday and completed just now. An absolutely stunning piece of work to be honest. Soundtrack is out of this world good, beautiful to look at and voice acting great. Some of the conversations at points were heartbreaking.

It was one of the highlights of 2015 for me.

The best soundtrack and voice acting I've ever heard in a game, and it almost tore The Chinese Room apart making it. It didn't sound like they had the best of relationships with Sony Santa Monica and the composer and co-studio head Jessica Curry was so fucked by the process and got so ill she left the studio.

It was one of the highlights of 2015 for me.

The best soundtrack and voice acting I've ever heard in a game, and it almost tore The Chinese Room apart making it. It didn't sound like they had the best of relationships with Sony Santa Monica and the composer and co-studio head Jessica Curry was so fucked by the process and got so ill she left the studio.

Have to suffer for your art. Sad to hear but for me it's a masterpiece and they can be proud if that's their swansong. Can't stop thinking about it.

Have to suffer for your art. Sad to hear but for me it's a masterpiece and they can be proud if that's their swansong. Can't stop thinking about it.

AFAIK The Chinese Room are already working on their next game. Dan Pinchbeck, studio head and husband of Curry, has said as much.

Hopefully they'll have the resources to go it alone this time.

It's an utterly tremendous piece of work. There were around a dozen points in the game where my jaw literally dropped.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived