Central Sectional League Cup groups

glensmad

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Group 4 is bubbling up nicely, with three teams still in contention at the moment.

Vale look favourites as it stands with 2 wins from 2, and they would win the group if they were to beat Glencairn on Wednesday night. However, a Glencairn win would put them level at the top with Vale, with one game to play each. Blantyre Vics are still in the mix at the moment, but the last minute penalty they conceded to East Kilbride on Saturday measn that Vics will now have to wait and see wait and see what happens on Wednesday night and hope that Glencairn at least avoid defeat, before Vics visit The Glens on Saturday for the last games while Vale play East Kilbride.

Here's an interesting scenario actually.

Vale v Glencairn - a draw, taking Glens onto 4 points and Vale onto 7 points.

Cambuslang v East Kilbride - away win, taking East Kilbride onto 4 points.

Glencairn v Blantyre - Home win or away win, taking either Glens or Blantyre onto 7 points.

East Kilbride v Vale - Home win, taking East Kilbride on 7 points.

In this scenario, either Glencairn or Blantyre, plus Vale and East Kilbride all finish on 7 points.

Is it the head-to-head, or is it goal difference which decides the group in that situation ?

#toomuchtimeonmyhands

Is it the head-to-head, or is it goal difference which decides the group ?

A quick check of the Archives section of the West website shows (for example) that in August 2013 Petershill and Bellshill finished level on points in their group; Bellshill won the head-to-head; yet it was Petershill who progressed. So it must be on g.d.

A quick check of the Archives section of the West website shows (for example) that in August 2013 Petershill and Bellshill finished level on points in their group; Bellshill won the head-to-head; yet it was Petershill who progressed. So it must be on g.d.

Thanks, that's what I thought, which means Blantyre have a huge advantage were they to finish level on points thanks to their 8-1 drubbing of Cambuslang.

I'm sure if Blantyre pip us to the group on goal difference you'll have a quiet wee smirk to yourself. :P

Dunno why your thinking about it so much, your not going through, the Lang made sure of the after the first game.

Dunno why your thinking about it so much, your not going through, the Lang made sure of the after the first game.

Hmmm, somebody hasn't looked at the table then. A 2-goal win for us tonight would put us top...

What is certain, however, is that Cambuslang can't qualify from the section. I see Paul McColl is in the Rutherglen Reformer today claiming that it is still arithmetically possible for Cambuslang to finish top but that it would take a freak combination of results. Well, I'm sorry Paul, but there is no freak combination of results that would see Cambuslang finish top. With the fixtures that are remaining, at least one team in the group will get 7 points or more, and Cambuslang can only get to 6 points.

All the other four teams can still qualify, however.

What is certain, however, is that Cambuslang can't qualify from the section. I see Paul McColl is in the Rutherglen Reformer today claiming that it is still arithmetically possible for Cambuslang to finish top but that it would take a freak combination of results. Well, I'm sorry Paul, but there is no freak combination of results that would see Cambuslang finish top. With the fixtures that are remaining, at least one team in the group will get 7 points or more, and Cambuslang can only get to 6 points.

maths wasn't his strongest point

I'm sure Paul made that comment before your game on Monday night.

Archived