Scotland squad face Poland & Gibraltar

I'm actually really pleased with that squad. Think Forsyth might have played his last competitive game tbh. Shinnie, Robertson and Mulgrew miles ahead of him.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Shinnie start against Poland by the way. Robertson hasn't been great this season apparently and Mulgrew probably (hopefully) won't make it.

Fingers crossed forrest gets no game time. Forrest appears to be the one thing that unites scotland fans at the moment. The one player we can all agree is pish

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yays:

Rhodes in

Shinnie in

Boos:

Armstrong still injured

Mulgrew in - probably to supplant a fitter player from their natural position

No McCormack. But there are more than enough strikers in there and Rhodes is the more promising of the two who were vying for a recall - seemingly he's been putting in captain-like performances for a woeful Blackburn side.

Think WGS will go for:

Marshall

Hutton Martin Hanley Mulgrew

Fletcher Brown

Naismith Maloney Anya

Fletcher

I'd like to see:

Marshall

Hutton Martin Hanley Robertson

Fletcher Brown

Ritchie Maloney Anya

Naismith

...depending on how we're doing, we could bring on Griffiths or Rhodes if we need a goal, or Fletcher if we need to hold onto a result.

ETA: very nice to have options like Russell and Forrest on the bench.

Guest DAVIDB69

No way should Mulgrew be in that squad, he's not been in good form for Celtic, he's not fit, his last good game for Scotland was against Ireland at home half a year ago? Going by Strachans press conference if Mulgrew passes himself as fit he'll be playing, fucking nightmare.

There is being fit and fit enough to play for Scotland two very different things

I don't have a problem with Forrest getting a call-up, beyond the fact that Phillips could probably be called up in his place. Are there any players beyond that that should be in ahead of him realistically? My problem comes if he starts him. Having him as an option on the bench to use his pace (purely from a stand-point of his supposed strengths actually being used) is not a bad thing. I'd go as far as to say that if Forrest starts against Poland, I will lose all faith I have in WGS instantly. Ritchie showed more in his first 2 minutes on the pitch than Forrest did for the entire match up to that point. It absolutely has to be him in there instead of Forrest.

Other than that, good squad. Surprised he did go with 5 strikers given our system. You could say he had an eye on Gibraltar and possibly playing 2 up front to boost our goal difference, but that's not the tie-breaker, and our current system should be enough to sweep them aside anyway.

I suppose if you split the squad down a little more, we only really have four out-and-out strikers called up. Fletcher, Martin, Rhodes and Griffiths probably can't play anywhere else well enough to be considered. Naismith is very likely to play behind the striker, so really it's still the four, just labelled differently.

I don't have a problem with Forrest getting a call-up, beyond the fact that Phillips could probably be called up in his place. Are there any players beyond that that should be in ahead of him realistically? My problem comes if he starts him. Having him as an option on the bench to use his pace (purely from a stand-point of his supposed strengths actually being used) is not a bad thing. I'd go as far as to say that if Forrest starts against Poland, I will lose all faith I have in WGS instantly. Ritchie showed more in his first 2 minutes on the pitch than Forrest did for the entire match up to that point. It absolutely has to be him in there instead of Forrest.

Other than that, good squad. Surprised he did go with 5 strikers given our system. You could say he had an eye on Gibraltar and possibly playing 2 up front to boost our goal difference, but that's not the tie-breaker, and our current system should be enough to sweep them aside anyway.

I suppose if you split the squad down a little more, we only really have four out-and-out strikers called up. Fletcher, Martin, Rhodes and Griffiths probably can't play anywhere else well enough to be considered. Naismith is very likely to play behind the striker, so really it's still the four, just labelled differently.

Fletcher would make an excellent left winger, according to Dryhorce.

Happy enough with the squad.

Would like to see

Gordon

Hutton Martin Hanley Roberston

Fletcher Mcarthur

Ritchie Maloney Naismith

Rhodes

Matt Ritchie playing well for Bournemouth and has a strike on him from distance. Naismith back in Everton team but was pretty poor against WBA. Mcarthur playing well for palace and felt he did well against Germany. Broony has been poor of late but will probably still get the nod.

Happy enough with the squad.

Would like to see

Gordon

Hutton Martin Hanley Roberston

Fletcher Mcarthur

Ritchie Maloney Naismith

Rhodes

Matt Ritchie playing well for Bournemouth and has a strike on him from distance. Naismith back in Everton team but was pretty poor against WBA. Mcarthur playing well for palace and felt he did well against Germany. Broony has been poor of late but will probably still get the nod.

It would be a really bold move to drop Marshall for this game and to throw Rhodes a start. Can't see either happening but would be chuffed if they did.

Agree the squad is pretty good.

Personally i'd like to see Brown ditched and Fletcher brought into midfield. Browns form for Celtic and Scotland has been average at best recently plus hes never too far from a meltdown. We need composer against Poland not some moron trying to pick a fight to get into the game.

And would give Shinnie the nod due to his form. Would rather have players in form than arguably better players who havent had a decent game in an age (within reason, not calling for a division two player to start).

No way should Mulgrew be in that squad, he's not been in good form for Celtic, he's not fit, his last good game for Scotland was against Ireland at home half a year ago? Going by Strachans press conference if Mulgrew passes himself as fit he'll be playing, fucking nightmare.

He was excellent at centre-back in Dublin. We've only played two competitive matches since then.

Mulgrew is always shoehorned into the team by Strachan. He broke up our most reliable centre half pairing in Georgia (Martin/Hanley) to allow him a start and I believe he will again, which is depressing.

Team I'd go with:

Gordon

Hutton/Whittaker Martin Hanley Robertson

McArthur Fletcher

Ritchie Naismith Anya

Rhodes

What we will go with is:

Marshall

Hutton Martin Hanley Mulgrew/Robertson

Brown Fletcher/Mulgrew

Forrest Maloney Naismith

Fletcher

Last chance saloon for Hutton IMO. If we fail to qualify/play offs, surely that will be him finished for the next campaign. Would maybe swap him for Whittaker this game Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Strachan starts Mulgrew centre mid.

Archived