Scotland squad face Poland & Gibraltar

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People complaining about Mulgrew. :lol:

I take it he's the new scapegoat then, is he? Or is that still Steven Fletcher?

Looking at the Oxygen Thieves on Facebook, it's still very much Fletcher, with Rhodes seen as the saviour. Haven't seen Mulgrew scapegoated on there yet, and that's usually a good barometer for batshit Tartan Army lunacy.

Would also like Fletcher in for Brown but it'll never happen.

National managers* are notoriously scared of truly bold selections, and dropping your captain for such an important game wouldn't happen.

*I guess all managers are, but the lack of competitive games (and the vast window of time and form between games crystallizes it on the international front).

He didn't "break up" anything. He picked the same central defensive partnership which had started the previous game.

All qualifiers, but 3, they have started as the partnership. Poland due to injury/suspension to Hanley (replaced by Greer) and the games v Ireland and Georgia away Mulgrew was chosen, incidentally, games where we have dropped 4 out of 6 points available.

I dont understand why people are getting so worked up about Mulgrew. He was absolutely outstanding against ireland at home when he was played in his best position. He has been honking as he has been played out of position.

I dont understand why people are getting so worked up about Mulgrew. He was absolutely outstanding against ireland at home when he was played in his best position. He has been honking as he has been played out of position.

Mulgrew has been superb on several occasions for Scotland and I too don't understand why he gets a hard time. I also think he's not been that bad in numerous games when played out of position.

I'm in two minds about Ritchie in for Anya. I really do rate Ritchie but I think his recent wondergoal has colored some peoples' opinions of him. Anya is just as much a difference-maker, and has more pace. Good problem for Strachan to have.

All qualifiers, but 3, they have started as the partnership. Poland due to injury/suspension to Hanley (replaced by Greer) and the games v Ireland and Georgia away Mulgrew was chosen, incidentally, games where we have dropped 4 out of 6 points available.

Such idiocy

OF players are always going to be under more scrutiny than others (except Craig Gordon, who for some reason is exempt.) In Mulgrew's case he is criticized far too much. In Forrest's case, yeah, he shouldn't be starting but some of the criticism borders on hysteria.

Mulgrew has been superb on several occasions for Scotland and I too don't understand why he gets a hard time. I also think he's not been that bad in numerous games when played out of position.

I'm in two minds about Ritchie in for Anya. I really do rate Ritchie but I think his recent wondergoal has colored some peoples' opinions of him. Anya is just as much a difference-maker, and has more pace. Good problem for Strachan to have.

I'd play Anya, Maloney/Naismith, Ritchie. I don't think the choice is between Anya and Ritchie, more between the two I mentioned. Heard someone say that Maloney may not be fully fit, so Naismith can step right in there if so.

Happy enough with the squad.

Would like to see

Gordon

Hutton Martin Hanley Roberston

Fletcher Mcarthur

Ritchie Maloney Naismith

Rhodes

Matt Ritchie playing well for Bournemouth and has a strike on him from distance. Naismith back in Everton team but was pretty poor against WBA. Mcarthur playing well for palace and felt he did well against Germany. Broony has been poor of late but will probably still get the nod.

swap rhodes for anya and move naismith up front and anya out wide imo

Agreed, that being said, every time he's been played at full-back (probably in his career, not just for Scotland) he's been worse than abysmal.

Archived