Sectarianism just part of the national game

~~~

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So some hardcore rightwing loyalist group called Regimental Blues (yeh I thought it was a jazz band too) go on their FB page and tell the world their going to protest at Celtic supporters going to a home game at Celtic Park.

Come back Jack Glass, all is forgiven.

Let's be honest, its for complete sad-sacks.

'King Billy's on the wall' 'Derry's Walls' 'build my gallows' etc.

Utterly tragic stuff to be singing at a football game, in Scotland, in 2016.

Tragic for sure. Antediluvian and inappropriate, possibly.

I thought the thread was about sectarianism, though.

Now that Rangers have signed Billy King from Hearts I expect some nugget(s) to publicly state that they've only done so to fan the flames of sectarianism. Probably somebody like Graham Spiers or that Phil Mac Giolla Bhain trumpet who thrive on such sensationalist claptrap. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I find it strange that people feel the need to sing songs celebrating the centuries-old killing of people of a slightly different strand of their own religion, whilst at a football match. Not particularly offensive, just f*cking weird behaviour.

Like "The Flower of Scotland"?

It's a fair point you make but doesn't really hold much water when we sing this dreadful song at our National games.

Like "The Flower of Scotland"?

It's a fair point you make but doesn't really hold much water when we sing this dreadful song at our National games.

"Flower of Scotland" commemorates Scots who died defending "their wee bit bit hill and glen", not killing people of a slightly different strand of their own religion.

Although as everyone was Roman Catholic back then, that might have been rather difficult.

As far as I can tell, there is no active conflict between Scotland and England, neither Scots nor English have a discernible differentiation in terms of faith or race and Flower of Scotland refers specifically to "proud Edwards army" not English folk, the English or England.

Also the song refers to an important event in the history of the nation of Scotland. None of the songs that I understand to be contentious have anything to do with Rangers (deceased) or Sevco.

So it's a shite comparison. Does that help?

Archived