Berwick v Annan

Just to let you all know the gentleman that took ill in the ducket was checked over in the medical room by the doctor and allowed to go home a fellow supporter drove his car home for him

Good to hear. Cheers for posting that.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just about recovered enough from the weekend to think about Saturday.

How shite are we defensively? Last season I felt they managed to avoid a lot of criticism due to our lack of chance conversion at the other end but this season we can't afford to overlook this.

Both full backs were shite on Saturday. Ross hasn't looked his best for a while now and Ewan McNeil just didn't turn up. Talking of not turning up, this is at least the second time Ross Graham (I think his name is Ross but I can't actually remember or be arsed to go look) hasn't been able to come due to work commitments. He needs to arrest himself for stealing a wage.

Onto centre backs and we're actually laughable, having to play Notman at centre half because both new signings aren't good enough. We signed Ainslie from Coldstream and the youngster Wilson from Musselburgh, providing none of the experience that we were crying out for. I personally feel Wilson is development squad at best, he came on at half time and didn't win a single high ball. I'd leave Ainslie in there for now but Cameron has to find someone urgently.

On to Johnny, and I don't rate him as captain. Its always head in hands when we score instead of encouraging and I don't notice him being particularly vocal (wonder where he gets that from, Colin?). Only player I can noticeably hear from the stands is Walker and he's going to lose his voice soon trying to organise that mess.

We've conceded something like 25 competitive goals already this season and its only mid September. Awful.

He clearly can't attract the players we need despite all the noises. Well over a month since he said he had money left. The options at centre back especially are embarrassing in terms of experience.

Just about recovered enough from the weekend to think about Saturday.

How shite are we defensively? Last season I felt they managed to avoid a lot of criticism due to our lack of chance conversion at the other end but this season we can't afford to overlook this.

Both full backs were shite on Saturday. Ross hasn't looked his best for a while now and Ewan McNeil just didn't turn up. Talking of not turning up, this is at least the second time Ross Graham (I think his name is Ross but I can't actually remember or be arsed to go look) hasn't been able to come due to work commitments. He needs to arrest himself for stealing a wage.

Onto centre backs and we're actually laughable, having to play Notman at centre half because both new signings aren't good enough. We signed Ainslie from Coldstream and the youngster Wilson from Musselburgh, providing none of the experience that we were crying out for. I personally feel Wilson is development squad at best, he came on at half time and didn't win a single high ball. I'd leave Ainslie in there for now but Cameron has to find someone urgently.

On to Johnny, and I don't rate him as captain. Its always head in hands when we score instead of encouraging and I don't notice him being particularly vocal (wonder where he gets that from, Colin?). Only player I can noticeably hear from the stands is Walker and he's going to lose his voice soon trying to organise that mess.

We've conceded something like 25 competitive goals already this season and its only mid September. Awful.

Good post. Yes, I get that it's early in the season but Saturday's performance was pretty concerning tbh.

Firstly, on team selection. Saturday showed Cameron has little faith in CBs Wilson and Ainslie to start Notman in what is not is preferred position for his first 90mins of the season. But we knew that Wilson wasn't up to SPFL2 standard after the first two/three games, so why at that point was a CB not drafted in?

As for Cameron, if he's not fully fit, why on earth is he starting games? Not saying the half-time switches had a detrimental effect, although 2nd half was worse than 1st half, but moving things around and bringing Wilson on just highlights the weakness in our squad. You also have to question the man-management skills as how must Ainslie have felt when he saw Wilson ready to go on - the man he dislodged to get into the starting team!

Also, Beveridge did a job at left-back without looking overly impressive but he certainly isn't a CM. Agree Drummond was poor and we haven't seen much of him since he signed permanently tbh and McNeil, although good going forward, is suspect defensively. Was very unimpressed with McKenna, too.

Still, we're only three points off top...

Deep routed issues at Berwick

Fairbairn would struggle to play at Lowick at present. His form has taken a huge nose dive.

Cameron needs to be punted. No progress at all has been seen and we are heading for another season of nothingness and it's not October yet!

Porteous should be already looking for a replacement, but given how reactionary the club is at most things, I doubt anything is being done.

This

Agree that the bubble has burst somewhat for Jonny. He needs a defender capable of reading the game next to him to help him get to his best. When paired with Wilson hes too busy trying to mop up mistakes, and from what I've seen with Ainslie he's too hesitant to ever be that player.

I don't necessarily think he's a bad captain because he doesn't speak - he demanded a response from the lads post EF and we got a win at Stirling for example. I also don't think being a leader is simply talking more than others. But equally, it's more often than not someone who grabs the game by the balls and leads by example. At the moment, he's not managing that to the level he did a few times last year.

As for Cameron, I cant help but feel the end is nigh. I'd kept faith a lot longer than most last season but I think the shambles on the last day of the season should have been the end - him foaming at the mouth at a ref for sending Lee Currie off for about as clear a red card you'll ever see probably the most interested I've ever seen him look - and it was embarrassing.

I was happy to give him a chance with the new lads but before the major overhaul came contract offers to the likes of Tulloch, Andrews and Currie. Its as though he didn't want to acknowledge his mistakes - instead rewarding them. For what its worth, i think we've made some decent additions but they lack any guidance whatsoever. When there was a chance to give things a much needed freshening up (with no disrespect to Robbie) he promoted Dair, the chap who identified East Fife as a key contender in the division this season but who's only impact in a game where wed be fucking mauled was to demand the players took quite possibly the worst quick free kick I've ever seen.

I don't think the squad is that bad. I do agree that anyone could beat anyone and in theory it's wide open. But do I see us being near come the end of the season if the club and Cameron continue to repeat mistakes? Not for me. Annan was prime example of an organised team. Planted traps for us and we naively fell into them. We'll win games under Cameron, but I doubt we'll ever beat a well organised side because we're so naive tactically.

Great post BTU. Another thing, it's nearly October and as well as failing to bring in any of the players we've been chasing, we've also failed to make any loan signings. Something clearly isn't right.

At the moment the board don't have any decisions to make as we sit 3 points from the top. However that could change in the next two weeks. A defeat at Clyde(more than likely) followed by a defeat at home to East Stirlingshire (less likely) would put pressure on the board to remove Cameron. I fear 3 points in the latter match will see us continue on under his leadership. For the benefit of the football clubs short and long term future, it might be a blessing that we loose both fixtures. It's early enough in the season for a new manager to make his mark. If we leave it too late another 8th place finish looks likely. Some say we have a good squad but lacking guidance, I disagree and the recruitment in our defensive areas is a prime example of how far short we are. Goals haven't exactly been flowing at the other end of the pitch, imagine if Henderson or Lavery pick up an injury, again our attacking options are thin on the ground due to poor recruitment. Cameron is a poorer version of Yano. At least Yano could organise and coach his teams, he also paid the price for failing to attract the right calibre of player to the club.

Archived