Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

The thing i hated was that they had him winning the match comfortably from the first set onwards, it really annoyed me, espescially when they'd say " he's ran out of ideas now, he's tried plan A, B and C " then Murrays opponent would end up coming back to win the game.

Exactly and when Granollers was sitting in his chair in between games one of them says I bet he is thinking of his flight back to Spain tonight, it was only at the start of the second set nowhere near the end of the match and he is a pro so that would be last on his mind.

The last 8 times Murray has faced the top three he's won - 4 against Fed and 2 each against Nadal and Nole. Not sure why people don't have more confidence in him beating them again.

Yes Murray has beaten Federer in exhibition matches and other minor events but hasn't beaten him in a grand slam event when it matters most exp US Open. Nadal has won grand slam events and Djokovic has won the Aus Open before so they all know what it takes at grand slam level and have more expereince than him.

I doubt all the media pish talk will affect Murray at all. But it does seem to be ruffling Federer and Djokovic if some of their reported words are true.

Murray is now as good as any of them and if it's his day he will beat them. It's all down to what happens on the day now with Murray against the top guys. He is up there with them now and he knows it. I doubt he fears any of them. And there's no real need to. He needs to win a slam now to show that he is on that level though. Whether it's in Australia or elsewhere remains to be seen. And it also remains to be seen whether he is a choker on the big stage. He might end up some sort of Greg Norman type for all we know.

Thats also part of the reason why I think if Federer or Djokovic face him they will be that pumped up to go out and show them why they are ranked ahead of him. They both have what it takes to beat him convincingly. If Murray doesn't win a grand slam event this year then I think it could play on him a bit, I hope he does win one but as you said he might end up like a Greg Norman type even though Greg Norman has won the British Open.

Yes Murray has beaten Federer in exhibition matches and other minor events

Not sure if I'd call the ATP Masters Series events at Cincinnati and Madrid and the Masters Cup in Shanghai as minor events. As for Nadal he beat him at the US Open. Djokovic lost to Murray in back to back Masters Series events and they are yet to meet in a grand slam. Yes, Andy lost to an inspired Fed in the US Open final but perhaps it was the exception rather than the rule.

I hope he does win one but as you said he might end up like a Greg Norman type even though Greg Norman has won the British Open.

So not at all like Greg Norman then? Good example.

Alternately you might want to make your point with a Colin Montgomerie example? It would have made much more sense. ;)

Not sure if I'd call the ATP Masters Series events at Cincinnati and Madrid and the Masters Cup in Shanghai as minor events. As for Nadal he beat him at the US Open. Djokovic lost to Murray in back to back Masters Series events and they are yet to meet in a grand slam. Yes, Andy lost to an inspired Fed in the US Open final but perhaps it was the exception rather than the rule.

Compared to grand slam events the ATP Maters Series events are minor. Its the fact that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have gone the whole way and been able to win a grand slam that stands them apart from Murray who has yet to do so. You dont think Djokovic and the Fed-Express aren't inspired to win the Aus Open after all the talk about Murray favourite to win it and everyone else should watch out for him when he is actually 4th seed then I think Murray needs to be at the very top of his game and more to beat them if he faces them.

Compared to grand slam events the ATP Maters Series events are minor. Its the fact that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have gone the whole way and been able to win a grand slam that stands them apart from Murray who has yet to do so. You dont think Djokovic and the Fed-Express aren't inspired to win the Aus Open after all the talk about Murray favourite to win it and everyone else should watch out for him when he is actually 4th seed then I think Murray needs to be at the very top of his game and more to beat them if he faces them.

And the same holds true for the other guys if they want to beat Murray. He's up there with them and they know it. I still think a Federer on his game is the best of the lot of them though.

Time will tell.

He's met Federer once in a grand slam so I don't think you can say he has the edge over him in grand slam meetings - I would be confident Murray would beat Federer if they met in Australia but after seeing some of the players this year Rafa looks awesome and I think he might just stop Murray in the semis.

He still has 4/5/6 years where he will be considered a contender but this period has just started if you like (wasn't expected to challenge at the US Open), whereas these guys have been there or thereabouts for years now. I do like the fact that he has riled everyone up a bit, that'll just make him play better in my view. He thrives on pressure.

Edited by dubs

He's met Federer once in a grand slam so I don't think you can say he has the edge over him in grand slam meetings - I would be confident Murray would beat Federer if they met in Australia but after seeing some of the players this year Rafa looks awesome and I think he might just stop Murray in the semis.

He still has 4/5/6 years where he will be considered a contender but this period has just started if you like (wasn't expected to challenge at the US Open), whereas these guys have been there or thereabouts for years now. I do like the fact that he has riled everyone up a bit, that'll just make him play better in my view. He thrives on pressure.

Federer is a good bit older but Djokovic and Nadal are the same age (give or take). Murray will have to win tourneys on merit, they aren't going to get out of his way anytime soon.

Compared to grand slam events the ATP Masters Series events are minor.

Clearly they are less important than grand slams but in no way are they "minor events". They are effectively mini grand slams which have a 128 draw and all the top players present. Outwith the 4 grand slams they are the most important 9 weeks of the year.

Edited by RedWeb

Federer is a good bit older but Djokovic and Nadal are the same age (give or take). Murray will have to win tourneys on merit, they aren't going to get out of his way anytime soon.

I obviously know that age wise they are the same but Murray was not the player he was 3 years ago now, he got injured all the time, his temprament was shoddy - I could go on. Those guys seemed to adapt to the big stage and all that comes with it straight away - I believe Murray is now at that level so in that respect he has less experience and this is his first REAL tilt at a grand slam when he is really expected to go places.

Yes he has played Federer once in a grand slam and got demolished making it 1-0 to Federer and with all the grand slam titles Federer has won compared to Murray's none then that gives Federer the edge over him.

The fact that he was given the favourites tag for the tournament when he is 4th seed will only make Federer, Djokovic and Nadal come out even more and show why they are ranked above him so it will make them play better too and I wouldnt say he thrives on pressure just yet because he had alot of pressure on him to reach the final at Wimbledon and he never, and its his first real test of character this time as being talked up as the favourite, then we will see if he thrives on it or not, I hope he does.

Clearly they are less important than grand slams but in no way are they "minor events". They are effectively mini grand slams which have a 128 draw and all the top players present. Outwith the 4 grand slams they are the most important 9 weeks of the year.

I know what the ATP Masters series events are all about as I watch them but we aren't talking about them as we are talking about a grand slam event here which is lot bigger and harder to win than any masters event.

Guest The Phoenix
I hope he does win one but as you said he might end up like a Greg Norman type even though Greg Norman has won the British Open.

Twice!!

Comparing Murray and Norman is comparible with comparing Stewarty and Reina. ;)

Guest The Phoenix
True, it wasn't me who made the initial comparison I think it was Reynard who did. I know he won at Turnbury but not sure where he won the other?

Royal St George's 1993

True, it wasn't me who made the initial comparison I think it was Reynard who did. I know he won at Turnbury but not sure where he won the other?

Yeah I should have used Monty as a better example of a choker. But Norman was renowned for being a complete choker on the big stage.

Monty was much worse though. :lol: And is Scottish too.

I am saying that the ATP Masters series are minor in comparison to grand slams

Aye we've established that. However, your original statement was that Murray had only beaten Fed in "minor events". Clearly you are now backtracking on this which is fair enough...we're all wrong sometimes :lol::P