Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

But it's not.

See, I can quote selectively too.

Err, yes, but we are talking about clay and the comment that Murray is a poor clay courter. Form on other surfaces is irrelevant.

Poor is perhaps a slight exaggeration from the poster, but he is never going to be a threat to even the sub-Nadal and Federer tier of clay courters like Ferrer, Nalbandian, Del Potro when fit etc.

In short, he won't make it past the first week and maybe not even today, albeit he has been very unlucky to draw an in form Gasquet.

I can see this going to five sets already...

That would suit Murray. Gasquet's never the fittest and it's warm. If Murray can get it to five sets I reckon he can win it. Gasquet will want it in three.

But he's not apparently, except when he is.

He's not in Gasquet's class on clay. To be fair, Gasquet should be ranked 10 or 11 in the world overall, and probably 6 or 7 on clay. Murray wouldn't be top 20 in my book.

More time to prepare for Wimbers if he gets pumped today. He's got to start showing something a hell of a lot better than he has or this season is a total write off.

I'd certainly fancy Gasquet to win fairly comfortably if he was fully fit and able. He isn't though so we'll see. Murray hasn't been in great form generally for a while and doesn't do well on clay anyway. It's a poor draw for him.

Think Murray will win fairly comfortably today. It's not true that he's poor on clay - QF last year - he just can't match up to relentless hitters on the surface. Gasquet isn't one of those players, he's more like Murray in how he plays and AM usually beats those types.

Err, yes, but we are talking about clay and the comment that Murray is a poor clay courter. Form on other surfaces is irrelevant.

Poor is perhaps a slight exaggeration from the poster, but he is never going to be a threat to even the sub-Nadal and Federer tier of clay courters like Ferrer, Nalbandian, Del Potro when fit etc.

In short, he won't make it past the first week and maybe not even today, albeit he has been very unlucky to draw an in form Gasquet.

Nobody actually said he was "poor". pantene made that up. The only comment above his suggesting anything about Murray's form on clay was mine and I've emboldened what I actually said. I said he "doesn't do well" on clay and that it was a "poor draw".

Anyway, notwithstanding that I didn't actually say what pantene thinks I did, I'd contend that the Q-F last year was more out of sorts with Murray's regular clay court form than the recent results have been. Like you I'd be surprised if he made week two and indeed surprised if he made it through the next round even if he wins this one.

A lot of it looks like an attitude thing as well. I'm not watching today's game, but the last match against Ferrer he did OK for long spells, but just didn't have the mental strength to dig in and win enough of the Deuce games.

I thought a couple of years ago that he'd go on to improve a lot on clay, but he hasn't really, and that's with Corretja in the camp. I'm not sure his heart is in the clay court season, which says a lot.

A lot of it looks like an attitude thing as well. I'm not watching today's game, but the last match against Ferrer he did OK for long spells, but just didn't have the mental strength to dig in and win enough of the Deuce games.

I thought a couple of years ago that he'd go on to improve a lot on clay, but he hasn't really, and that's with Corretja in the camp. I'm not sure his heart is in the clay court season, which says a lot.

I tend to agree. At the moment he looks like he's chucked it. Two sets down and he can;t get a first serve anywhere near in the court. This one is over.

Gasquet look's like he's about to give up the ghost.

Edited to add: No he doesn't!

Edited to add: Oh yes he does!

Edited by Loki

Nobody actually said he was "poor". pantene made that up. The only comment above his suggesting anything about Murray's form on clay was mine and I've emboldened what I actually said. I said he "doesn't do well" on clay and that it was a "poor draw".

Yeah, apologies. I was thinking of your post when I mentioned poor but I see you didn't say that.

Streaky performance. It was either playing excellently, or playing very, very poory. Should never have lost a set against Chela, he isn't a great player, with one of the worst serveice motions I've ever laid eyes on.