Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Plenty of grit shown by Murray again, I see this has been picked up in the media that his desire isn't there anymore. He is low on confidence, but that will turn round in one game. It is just a matter of when that game will happen. Lopez is very tricky, but doesn't play the pressure points well. Murray should squeeze past him, and then it gets very tricky although he has only lost against Tsonga once (if he makes it).

Was at the County game so missed out, was it good match? Looks pretty straight forward and he only lost three points on his serve? pretty good, as his serving has really let him down. A couple of surprise results today with Nishikori beating Ferrer and Dolgopolov beating Wawrinka. The QF line up is as follows:

Murray - Djokovic

Federer - Nishikori

Nadal/Fognini - Raonic/Becker

Isner/Berdych - Dolgopolov

Nishikori and Dolgopolov have really improved under Chang and Sontoro.

I caught the 2nd set. Much more like the Murray of 2012/2013. Great conviction on the forehand and found the lines when he needed to.

Tsonga, like Cilic, has the game that plays right into Murray's hands. Drawing the Frenchman at an event is almost like a bye for him.

Murray and Djokovic square off at 7pm tonight. Should be a cracking match, although they have played three times in Miami and not one match has been close! It seems one of them has a stinker serving and loses the match. A repeat of his serving display against Tsonga and he will have a great chance of win.

Dan Evans selected in the Davis Cup squad alongside Ward, Murray and Fleming. With Hutchins as reserve.

Means three matches back to back for Murray on clay, all of which he'll need to win. Tough ask,

I'd still leave him out of the doubles and ask Fleming and Hutchins to win us the tie. I might even have taken Jonny Marray instead of Hutchins as he's in decent form just now.

Hope Murray gets knocked out tonight to give him extra rest ahead of next weekend.

Edited by H_B

Dan Evans selected in the Davis Cup squad alongside Ward, Murray and Fleming. With Hutchins as reserve.

Means three matches back to back for Murray on clay, all of which he'll need to win. Tough ask,

I'd still leave him out of the doubles and ask Fleming and Hutchins to win us the tie. I might even have taken Jonny Marray instead of Hutchins as he's in decent form just now.

Hope Murray gets knocked out tonight to give him extra rest ahead of next weekend.

I imagine Murray will play all three unless Ward/Evans wins their first rubber.

Think I'd rather he won this tournament if I had to choose, tbh.

I imagine Murray will play all three unless Ward/Evans wins their first rubber.

I'm certain he will (to be honest he will quite rightly get to do exactly what he wants given his Davis Cup record).

Just think on clay it will put quite a stress on his body. Could easily be playing 3 and a half to 4 hours on the Friday then having to do the same on Saturday.

If he doesn't play the two singles games we can't win.

Seppi/Fognini isn't that good a doubles partnership. So I would leave it to Fleming/Hutchins. I think Ward or Evans could give Seppi a match on clay. It certainly is a tie we can get through. The winners of this tie face Switzerland (assuming they get through against Kazahkstan).

I would rather he beat Novak tonight. The Davis Cup is something that we're not likely to ever win sadly. Not until at least we have a second singles player that can compete in the top 50.

The Davis Cup is something that we're not likely to ever win sadly. Not until at least we have a second singles player that can compete in the top 50.

You say that, but we've got an excellent chance this year, as we've a really good doubles team almost no matter who we pick and Murray can win 2 matches against any country.

The good thing about drawing Switzerland is that we'd be at home, not away (on clay). We'll still be second favourites, but still in with a cracking chance, as we;ll be favourites for the doubles.

As it would be in September I think we'd look to play at Wimbledon.

Czech Republic in the final would be tough (as Berdych and Stepanek are a good doubles unit) and Berdych v Murray indoor wouldn't hugely favour Murray, only slightly.

You say that, but we've got an excellent chance this year, as we've a really good doubles team almost no matter who we pick and Murray can win 2 matches against any country.

The good thing about drawing Switzerland is that we'd be at home, not away (on clay). We'll still be second favourites, but still in with a cracking chance, as we;ll be favourites for the doubles.

Czech Republic in the final would be tough (as Berdych and Stepanek are a good doubles unit) and Berdych v Murray indoor wouldn't hugely favour Murray, only slightly.

Would Switzerland really choose Federer's weakest surface?

If we host Switzerland we need to choose grass. Murray v Wawrinka and the doubles are sure wins on grass so then we either need Murray to beat Federer(very likely) or Dan to beat Stan(unlikely but still possible on grass)

I didn't see the match yesterday and I've only read the reports but how concerning was his back trouble?

His shout of "It's been 3 years!" clearly indicates that his surgery has not worked.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

I didn't see the match yesterday and I've only read the reports but how concerning was his back trouble?

His shout of "It's been 3 years!" clearly indicates that his surgery has not worked.

If his surgery had not worked he wouldn't be on court. The shout of it's been three years could mean anything. Yesterday was because of pain to his hip. He has had hip problems in the past.

Yes I take your point but I would argue semantics over "excellent chance". We have an excellent chance against Italy. But to win the whole thing, I would probably simmer that down to a chance. Anyway by the time September comes the likes of Murray or Federer might elect not to play. In the event of a tie versus Switzerland we would be bigger outsiders than we were against the USA. But Murray would be favourite against either on grass.

If his surgery had not worked he wouldn't be on court. The shout of it's been three years could mean anything. Yesterday was because of pain to his hip. He has had hip problems in the past.

I dont think that is true considering he has played with the injury for some time it is not unreasonable to think he could still have the problem after the surgery.

Just because hes back playing doesnt mean the surgery has worked it just means he has recovered from the operation.

Lets not forget he won 2 grand slam tournaments whilst carrying this injury so it was never completely debilitating, my concern is that having surgery can sometimes aggravate these things rather than cure them, particularly with the back/spine.

But Murray would be favourite against either on grass.

I'm not sure that's true with Federer's resurgent form. Still a long way away and we might not even beat Italy quite conceivably. By the sounds of it Wawrinka and Federer have decided to give it a real go this year - Wawrinka has made that clear. Barring "real" injury, both will play.

It would be a magnificent tie though.