Who Will Be Motherwell's Next Permanent Manager?

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGhee's first season saw us play the best football I've ever seen from a Motherwell side, at least for the first seven months of the campaign anyway. The transformation that McGhee performed on our squad from the previous season was incredible. However in his second season it was quite clear that he was no longer committed to us and wanted to move on and the way he conducted himself, by whoring himself publically for every job going as well as being a Celtic mouthpiece in the media showed a complete lack of respect for the club and the fans and also an incredible arrogance. He obviously had decided that the job of Motherwell FC manager was beneath him by his 2nd season and I would not want him back at Fir Park in any capacity.

The way he spoke about his disappointment in not getting the Celtic job, the day he joined Aberdeen just sums up what an arrogant twat McGhee is.

Indeed, he was a self serving and arrogant p***k of a man and the manner of his eventual departure from Motherwell to go to Aberdeen showed him up completely for what he was. He hung on at Fir Park as long as he could while Celtic were sorting out compensation with West Brom over Mowbray, clearly in the hope that that particular move would fall through and Celtic would then approach him, but when Celtic eventually appointed Mowbray he took up Aberdeen's offer, as very much his second choice which he later admitted in as many words during his first press conference as Dons boss nonetheless. And all this time, we were only weeks away from playing a European qualifier and needed an entire new squad, yet we had a manager sitting hoping he'd get a job at Celtic and if that fell through he was going to Aberdeen whilst clearly not giving a f**k about us.

As I said, I never want to see McGhee back at fir park in any capacity.

Bit of a shock at just how low Pressley's odds are for Motherwell. 7/2 and second favourite, behind Craigan?!

To a northern simpleton like Presley Lanarkshire probably counts as down south.

Strugglin' on the big club part though :(

Bit of a shock at just how low Pressley's odds are for Motherwell. 7/2 and second favourite, behind Craigan?!

I wouldn't pay too much attention that. Doubtful if either are in the running, for different reasons.

I wouldn't pay too much attention that. Doubtful if either are in the running, for different reasons.

I sincerely hope not. Pressley has done nothing of note in management apart from relegate Falkirk and Craigan is untested, something which we've been burnt by too many times in the past with McLeish, Malpas, Davies etc. Another reason I wouldn't want Craigan in the job is because I believe he's too pally with a number of the first team, ie. Lasley, Hammell, McDonald, and that is a recipe for disaster imo.

I sincerely hope not. Pressley has done nothing of note in management apart from relegate Falkirk and Craigan is untested, something which we've been burnt by too many times in the past with McLeish, Malpas, Davies etc. Another reason I wouldn't want Craigan in the job is because I believe he's too pally with a number of the first team, ie. Lasley, Hammell, McDonald, and that is a recipe for disaster imo.

Agreed. Though I'm less bothered about Craigan being pally with the players more that in our current position we'd be absolutely mental to give the job to someone with as little experience given the previous examples you've mentioned and who even admitted himself that going down the management route hadn't really been on his agenda.

There's a certain naivety around the club at board level that I find really quite concerning. This appointment is going to say a lot about them and at the moment having heard/read comments from the owner & chairman I really don't have too much confidence in the club getting it right, though I'll be happy to be proved wrong. At the moment though they just seem like they're waiting to get mugged again.

Simo Valakari's job to lose, by all accounts.

Again, that is not a name that I would be happy with as he has no experience of managing or coaching in the Scottish game and the only reason he's being considered, if the rumours are true, is let's face it because he's a popular ex player. Some of these names being thrown about and talked of as serious contenders right now are really giving me the fear.

None of our managers had any experience managing in Scotland since Tommy McLean. I don't understand the need "to know the Scottish game". Do any other set of fans have that bull shit statement when looking for a manager?

How many have made a success of it?

None of our managers had any experience managing in Scotland since Tommy McLean. I don't understand the need "to know the Scottish game". Do any other set of fans have that bull shit statement when looking for a manager?

It's understandable to a point since Malpas aside it's been a common thread between the managers who are perceived as being our worst appointments (Kampman, Gannon, Baraclough). It's also kind of unfairly reductive since there were clearly other factors at play in each of those cases. Their "not knowing the Scottish game" wasn't the sole reason they didn't work out, but it can't have helped.

I don't necessarily think it's a pre-requisite that our next manager "needs to have managed/coached in Scotland". However, it's definitely fair to say that our more solid appointments have all had an fairly strong identifiable link with the Scottish game.

In that respect, given our current situation, it'd seem fair to say that someone who knows the game/league would reduce the risk in the appointment.

Valakari's record in Finland is impressive and I understand why we'd want to speak to him. It's unfair to just dismiss him as only being in the running because he's a fan favourite. Though equally I'd imagine the response to us looking at a manager from the Finnish league would be a lot less accepting if he hadn't played for us.

You can watch footage of all his SJK's games online and having watched a few I get the impression that the Motherwell job, especially at this moment, would be a significant step up in level and there's definitely a legitimate question as to whether we should be looking to appoint yet another relatively inexperienced manager.

First you need to quantify what is knowing the Scottish Game. Second you can not just exclude the results of a man who knew more about the Scottish game than many people (Malpas) cause if you don't it makes your argument weaker.

McCall didn't really know the Scottish game, McGhee didn't really know the Scottish game, Butcher didn't have long in Scotland. While Craig Brown's knowledge of the current Scottish game was questionable.

As for success, another thing needed quantified.

"Knowing the Scottish game" would be previous experience of coaching, managing, or indeed playing in Scotland, which I know Valakari did many years ago, over 15 to be precise so that hardly qualifies him as having an up to date understanding of the game up here, and the style of play, or contacts within the game, knowledge of players across the leagues, something which I feel we've neglected in recent times in favour of the English lower league market, which to be fair has worked okay for us until recently anyway.

I've said since Baraclough left, in fact since even before Mccall left that we needed an experienced head to come in and steady the ship, get the best out of what we have and first and foremost keep us in the Premier League. If that appointment was short term until the end of the season for example but it got is back on track similar to Craig Brown replacing Jim Gannon, then great, we review the situation next summer, but right now, I maintain that we need experience, not experiments, and that is what appointing Simo Valakari, who has no previous experience of coaching in Scotland, almost certainly no clout within the Scottish game having not been involved in it for fifteen years would almost certainly be right now.

I was certainly of the same thinking that we needed a bit of experience to come in and steady the ship.

If it is to be Valakari, then it's a massive gamble. I sincerely hope the board understand the risk involved with this appointment. If this goes tits up, we'll be in the Championship next season. One without Rangers, and perhaps even Hibs.

As an aside, during Valakari's time at Motherwell as a player, his step-son was in my year at high school. Sat next to him in Maths at one point. I'd sit during class and read the Finnish to English dictionary he'd have on his desk, and laugh at the funny words. It's probably that sort of attitude that's led me to being in a job where i'm in an office posting on P&B at 10:15 in the morning...

Archived