Who Will Be Motherwell's Next Permanent Manager?

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pressley's just been on Sportsound pretty much saying he wants to stay in England and not really considering a job in Scotland just now.

That is a relief then as Pressley is an arrogant, dour faced chump with a poor managerial track record and I really wouldn't want him anywhere near our dugout.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a relief then as Pressley is an arrogant, dour faced chump with a poor managerial track record and I really wouldn't want him anywhere near our dugout.

I wouldn't wish the snakey c*** on Hibs.

Hope Motherwell and Dundee Utd go nowhere near the p***k.

Without a shadow of a doubt the new manager will be confirmed as Stephen Craigan best candidate out the 75 applicants including the manager hired before him that was clueless on midweek night in methil and Greenock and to save all cost from hired someone else from a current club and with already 100% record from one game, no rocket sience from the board at fir park.

Without a shadow of a doubt the new manager will be confirmed as Stephen Craigan best candidate out the 75 applicants including the manager hired before him that was clueless on midweek night in methil and Greenock and to save all cost from hired someone else from a current club and with already 100% record from one game, no rocket sience from the board at fir park.

You actually edited that?

You can't really argue with reasoning like this, can you?

Mark McGhee has an interest in the vacancy.

For all that the way he left the club, signing Bob Malcolm and his 2nd season in general should probably rule him out if he's actually genuinely interested there's a fair amount would make a bit of sense even taking into account his record at his last two clubs.

If we're going down the whole route of continuity with staff then he's worked with both Craigan and Leitch and presumably wouldn't be after a backroom clear out, he's worked with our senior players (Hammell, Lasley, Clarkson), he's shown in his first season that he can do the job (if not his 2nd), he knows the club and the league, he's also still actively involved in the game at a good level.

I'd have thought that one of the key aspects we'd be looking for this time around is experience and I can't actually think of a realistic candidate who offers a similar level as him. Craigan? Valakari? Mixu? Pressley?

Incidentally, I was quite sold on the idea of Simo until I had a look at some footage of his team playing. I'd say it'd be quite the step up for him and I really don't think we're in the position to take another risk on an inexperienced coach/manager.

For me the Mark McGhee option purely comes down to him having a proven ability that we've seen first hand, to change and improve the same things that need changed and improved at Fir Park right now.

No more or less than that.

We all know Mark McGhee used Motherwell as a stepping stone to bigger and better things the last time he was here. That in itself is not a problem, and it's something 95% of our squad should be doing. However, it's the way he treated the club and fans in his 2nd season that leaves a sour taste in the mouth. McGhee's first six months, especially, were unbelievable and some would argue it's the best side we've seen in the last 30 years. However, think of the last six months and how shite they were. I always go back to our Scottish Cup exit at St. Mirren Park being one of the worst performances i've seen.

The question the board need to ask, if it gets that far, is what is in it for Mark McGhee? Is it simply to get his foot back in the door of the managerial world and for him to f**k off again at the first available opportunity? If so, i'd be very wary of having him back again. However, should be want to build his own team, stick around for 3-4 years and then leave once the job is done, I'd probably accept that.

One final thing, Mark McGhee's squad was built using funds we simply do not have these days. He was also on considerable wage himself, something I very much doubt he'd get near this time around.

We all know Mark McGhee used Motherwell as a stepping stone to bigger and better things the last time he was here. That in itself is not a problem, and it's something 95% of our squad should be doing. However, it's the way he treated the club and fans in his 2nd season that leaves a sour taste in the mouth. McGhee's first six months, especially, were unbelievable and some would argue it's the best side we've seen in the last 30 years. However, think of the last six months and how shite they were. I always go back to our Scottish Cup exit at St. Mirren Park being one of the worst performances i've seen.

The question the board need to ask, if it gets that far, is what is in it for Mark McGhee? Is it simply to get his foot back in the door of the managerial world and for him to f**k off again at the first available opportunity? If so, i'd be very wary of having him back again. However, should be want to build his own team, stick around for 3-4 years and then leave once the job is done, I'd probably accept that.

One final thing, Mark McGhee's squad was built using funds we simply do not have these days. He was also on considerable wage himself, something I very much doubt he'd get near this time around.

That's pretty much it and what I was getting at when I said if he's genuinely interested, if he's just going to get his foot back in the door again then I totally agree. Similarly, given his wage/funding previously I was genuinely surprised to hear he'd put his name in for the job.

I just think that given the way Baraclough's appointment went if there's a candidate there who's actually shown he can do the job then it'd surely be pretty tempting to go for the devil you know option than run the risk of appointing another Bara.

For me the Mark McGhee option purely comes down to him having a proven ability that we've seen first hand, to change and improve the same things that need changed and improved at Fir Park right now.

No more or less than that.

That's very much my opinion on him.

That said, Aberdeen were an absolute shambles when he was there, with nothing like the level of fitness or organisation that we did.

McGhee's first six months, especially, were unbelievable and some would argue it's the best side we've seen in the last 30 years.

I have, and would, argue this. We were incredible.

McGhee has done that throughout his managerial career, I have no reason to doubt that would change now, and for that reason:

Bannatyne1.jpeg

McGhee is very much in the last chance saloon at the moment, after two bodged jobs. I see no reason why we'd take the risk on him.

I have, and would, argue this. We were incredible.

I agree we were incredible, but for me, the team from '93-'95 were the best in my lifetime. We played some cracking stuff as well. I don't know if it's because I was just a kid at the time and it's what got me hooked on Motherwell FC and football in general, or whether it whether it actually was a better team.

Look at the players we had. Martin, Krivokpaic, McKinnon, Lambert, Coyne, Arnott. I just can't see me looking back in 15-20 years time and thinking as fondly of Reynolds, Hammell, Hughes, McCormack, Porter, Clarkson.

Superb argument to have, to be fair. One I'd be happy to have over a pint or six!

I agree we were incredible, but for me, the team from '93-'95 were the best in my lifetime. We played some cracking stuff as well. I don't know if it's because I was just a kid at the time and it's what got me hooked on Motherwell FC and football in general, or whether it whether it actually was a better team.

Look at the players we had. Martin, Krivokpaic, McKinnon, Lambert, Coyne, Arnott. I just can't see me looking back in 15-20 years time and thinking as fondly of Reynolds, Hammell, Hughes, McCormack, Porter, Clarkson.

Superb argument to have, to be fair. One I'd be happy to have over a pint or six!

That early 90s team is still my favourite as well. Much like yourself I don't know if it was just because I was a kid but I could still name you that XI no problem. I think everything about that era of football late 80s - early 90s 'means' a lot more to me because it was pretty formative for me.

I think its far more to do with how you remember the time period as well. My old man didn't take me to the football as much when we were younger, whereas the McGhee season, we were there loads, in addition to my grandfather still being able to come with us at that time. Add to where we'd come from under Malpas the season before, and the drama of getting to Europe: That was my favourite, for sure.

Archived