Who do you believe is the best actor of your generation!

MikeyVanBasten3

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough call on this one for me. Ian Hart and Jodi Foster spring to mind as performers, though not in terms of exposure or earnings. Christina Ricci is probably another. Great actress but like Burton would appear in any old guff.

Willem Dafoe is my favourite actor though he is a little wide of my generation. Lili Taylor is a great actress.

Big stars? Donnie Wahlberg was amazing in Band of Brothers. Lena Headey is another standout, and I first saw her in Loved Up with Ian Hart.

Gene Hackman was utterly tremendous in the 70s, The Conversation and Scarecrow especially.

Willem Dafoe is probably my favourite actor now also and maybe he doesn't quite get the credit he deserves.

And the pair of them were terrific in the afore-mentioned Mississippi Burning.

Could make an argument for The Conversation being one of the best movies ever. I'd have it as the best movie of that decade certainly.

Aye i'd have it up there but the 70's were magic. Spoilt for choice. There needs to be a 70's poll on here actually!

Gene Hackman for me.

Also, Tom Hanks - I know some people go on about Gump, but look at his other performances - Philadelphia was amazing, Apollo 13 and Captain Phillips both excellent also.

Great shout. Gene Hackman up there with the very finest.

In no particular order....

Tommy Lee Jones

Tom Hanks

Robert Duval

Robin Williams

Joe Pesci

Gene Hackman

Jack Nicolson

Robert De Niro

Al Pacino

Anthony Hopkins

Sean Penn

Morgan Freeman

And the pair of them were terrific in the afore-mentioned Mississippi Burning.

There were serious standouts in that film: Fran McDormand and Brad Dourif among them.

Archived