Rock vs Wheel

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly how many ridiculous names for your ground have you had?

Also as a rebel I've never used 1 of them.

I just say I'm going to Dumbarton

Strathclyde Homes Stadium

Dumbarton Football Stadium sponsored by DL Cameron

BetButler Stadium

Son Siro*

Dumbarton Football Stadium

Cheaper Insurance Direct Stadium

*May not actually have happened

It doesn't bother me at all what it's called, it's not like Boghead, or Brockville etc with loads of history behind the name. The funnier the better for me.

I'm not Into the naming of stadiums.

I actually can't believe companies pay for it.

Unless it's opened as a sponsored named stadium like the Reebok or Emirates, then fans aren't suddenly gonnae call a ground something else every couple of years.

Livi and Dumbarton are the worst 2 examples in this country.

I understand from the club point of view its free money.

I just don't understand what's in it for the company

I raised the issue of Andy Graham a few pages ago. Just to be clear I was simply trying to point out that Aitken had jettisoned a player who was a consistent performer for the club over the last couple of seasons and had earned a POTY award last season. Darren Barr replaced Graham as central defender and skipper on considerably more money so surely it's fair enough to make a comparison and question the manager's judgement?

But the stats suggest that there's not much wrong with his judgement. Barring that 5 goal haul on Saturday we'd have had a comfortably better defence than at this time last year. I honestly think folk have had it in for Barr from the start, purely because he's replaced Andy.

Whilst we're comparing previous seasons' stats, on 20th October 2012 the DFC website reported:

'DUMBARTON suffered a dispiriting home defeat against Falkirk, going down 2-0 at the Bet Butler Stadium after a grim opening period and a partial recovery after the break.'

It was Adamson's last game in charge.

Bit of a random one to pull out of nowhere unless you're insinuating that Stevie's jacket is on a shoogly peg?

I'm not Into the naming of stadiums.

I actually can't believe companies pay for it.

Unless it's opened as a sponsored named stadium like the Reebok or Emirates, then fans aren't suddenly gonnae call a ground something else every couple of years.

Livi and Dumbarton are the worst 2 examples in this country.

I understand from the club point of view its free money.

I just don't understand what's in it for the company

Well, the current sponsor is a local company who are lifelong supporters of the club. The get exposure to the very people they're looking to sell their product to and get to help out their local team while they're at it. Due to the name being a fairly ridiculous one it's also drummed up some publicity for them. A number of Sons fans at the start of the season said they would go to them for insurance. It's not really about what the fans call it though, their company name will be on everything official that people will read/hear on the radio etc. It's really a win win for both company and club. Anyone get upset over the name of the stadium should really be ignored.

Does the ground have a name that can be used consistently no matter how the sponsorship changes. Although we have no sponsor the ground is called the Falkirk Stadium but a lot of people still see it as Westfield. Bit like Parkhead and celtic park, Upton park the Boleyn ground etc. Even Livies ground with all its sponsors is still known by many as Almondvale.

Does the ground have a name that can be used consistently no matter how the sponsorship changes. Although we have no sponsor the ground is called the Falkirk Stadium but a lot of people still see it as Westfield. Bit like Parkhead and celtic park, Upton park the Boleyn ground etc. Even Livies ground with all its sponsors is still known by many as Almondvale.

The Rock I guess. But I usually end up saying "Aye, in Dumbarton" or "At home, aye" if asked where we're playing at the weekend.

the goals dont look any better from a defending point of view now that they're up on SonsTV

having seen the penalty that wasnt though, i am still astonished that it wasnt given....as obvious as they come....possibly could have been a red card too....wouldnt have changed the result, but may affect our goal difference come end of season

the goals dont look any better from a defending point of view now that they're up on SonsTV

having seen the penalty that wasnt though, i am still astonished that it wasnt given....as obvious as they come....possibly could have been a red card too....wouldnt have changed the result, but may affect our goal difference come end of season

Agreed, was at the very other side of the stand but it looked an absolute stonewaller. Definitely a yellow, even a red maybe. Just proves gollum has not a fucking clue

Agreed, was at the very other side of the stand but it looked an absolute stonewaller. Definitely a yellow, even a red maybe. Just proves gollum has not a fucking clue

I genuinely think it was the reaction of the home support that prompted his decision - they rightly shouted for a penalty and he showed them he was his 'own man' by awarding a corner (which was also the wrong fucking decision)

He blew at least two times on the far side of the pitch for things that only he had seen - leaving both sets of players with bemused looks on their faces.

Archived