Star Trek

Zen Archer (Raconteur)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's Ted Cassidy who also played Lurch in the Addams Family.

Do roo roo roo ro..click click

That episode was on CBS last night lol. The female costumes throughout original series' certainly had a "double-take" effect, with plenty thoughts of "nice ass", "check the ******* on that" and "Hubba hubba" haha

How do you get classic bad guy Klingons after Undiscovered Country but before TNG where the first Khitomer Accords were signed?

Surely the big events for this period would be:

End of the Romulan-Klingon Alliance (fall of Narendra III/ Enterprise C), Federation/Cardassian War, Tomed Incident and the Romulan Empires seclusion.

What I'd love to see is one of the seasons to be based "around something like the Destiny Novels - make the Borg strong again(but with better ending) and one to go along with STO. There you could have "bad guy" Klingon's and it would also lead into JJ Abram's Star Trek (Hobus Supernova)

I'd rather they followed on from DS9 era/slightly forward with Klingons as allies, a series with a mixed technology/crewed ship and have Klingons as antiheroes rather than generic bad guys who fall to federation phasors in huge swathes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

Star Trek character Hikaru Sulu revealed as gay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36736006

It's a nice gesture to George Takei, but apparently Takei has said he doesnt think its a good idea for the character. Simon Pegg has said that he respects Takei's but has to disagree in regards to the character. Obviously Simon Prgg was trying to do a nice thing for Takei, but if Takei isnt comfortable with it then id consider not going ahead with it.

Pegg said this in regards to Takei's statement about there being a lack of homosexual characters in film and TV

“He’s right, it is unfortunate, it’s unfortunate that the screen version of the most inclusive, tolerant universe in science fiction hasn’t featured an LGBT character until now. We could have introduced a new gay character, but he or she would have been primarily defined by their sexuality, seen as the ‘gay character’, rather than simply for who they are, and isn’t that tokenism?”

I have to agree with Pegg here, to just bring in a new character who happened to be Gay would probably end up defining the character. In regards to there being no Gay characters on Star Trek, i just figured there were but because the society was inclusive and tolerant that a persons sexuality just wasnt a topic that had to be discussed, everyone just accepted everyone for who they were and didnt make a deal about it.

34 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

It's a nice gesture to George Takei, but apparently Takei has said he doesnt think its a good idea for the character. Simon Pegg has said that he respects Takei's but has to disagree in regards to the character. Obviously Simon Prgg was trying to do a nice thing for Takei, but if Takei isnt comfortable with it then id consider not going ahead with it.

Pegg said this in regards to Takei's statement about there being a lack of homosexual characters in film and TV

“He’s right, it is unfortunate, it’s unfortunate that the screen version of the most inclusive, tolerant universe in science fiction hasn’t featured an LGBT character until now. We could have introduced a new gay character, but he or she would have been primarily defined by their sexuality, seen as the ‘gay character’, rather than simply for who they are, and isn’t that tokenism?”

I have to agree with Pegg here, to just bring in a new character who happened to be Gay would probably end up defining the character. In regards to there being no Gay characters on Star Trek, i just figured there were but because the society was inclusive and tolerant that a persons sexuality just wasnt a topic that had to be discussed, everyone just accepted everyone for who they were and didnt make a deal about it.

Does this count?*

tumblr_myxsodB0qx1s424vro2_250.gif

*not being flippant.

1 hour ago, Zen Archer said:

Does this count?*

tumblr_myxsodB0qx1s424vro2_250.gif

*not being flippant.

Well, i dont think it counts as trill have multiple hosts and share the memories of being both male and female, i dont suppose they really care. But good point bringing up the first same sex kiss on tv, another Star Trek first. (And Terry Farrell is awesome)

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/07/2016 at 17:15, EdgarusQPFC said:

Well, i dont think it counts as trill have multiple hosts and share the memories of being both male and female, i dont suppose they really care. But good point bringing up the first same sex kiss on tv, another Star Trek first. (And Terry Farrell is awesome)

Just as a point.  Trill is the host, it's the symbiont that has usually many hosts.  Not all Trill have a Symbiont inside them.

As for the Star Trek Discovery launch trailer, the USS Discovery eh... looks like a Klingon D-7, a Romulan Bird of Prey and the Constitution Class combined.  Why design a new ship, never seen, never mentioned in a time period where the Excelsior, Ambassador and the ever present Miranda Class star ships are in use.   

40 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Just as a point.  Trill is the host, it's the symbiont that has usually many hosts.  Not all Trill have a Symbiont inside them.

As for the Star Trek Discovery launch trailer, the USS Discovery eh... looks like a Klingon D-7, a Romulan Bird of Prey and the Constitution Class combined.  Why design a new ship, never seen, never mentioned in a time period where the Excelsior, Ambassador and the ever present Miranda Class star ships are in use.   

The Ship looks fucking awful. But the CGI looks terrible

On 7/8/2016 at 17:15, EdgarusQPFC said:

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/1396805/index.html

Was it the first on US TV because it wasn't even close here? I think even the infamous Brookside storyline would have been before this.

They've still got plenty of time to work on this new series and by the looks of they're going to need.

On 7/25/2016 at 12:20, Antiochas III said:

But if the Star Trek Universe has been rebooted, then those Class of ships have never existed!!!

5 hours ago, King Kebab said:

But if the Star Trek Universe has been rebooted, then those Class of ships have never existed!!!

It's not been rebooted.  It was confirmed by CBS that the new series will take place in the "prime" universe between the first Khitomer Conference and TNG.  

Meh. Missed a trick not going further into the future - new tech, new races, new regions, new exploration, don't know where the story will end (e.g. start of TNG).

Very disappointing.

That ship is bowfin. Star Trek ships have always had an etymology to them in that you can see elements of preceding ships. What class is it even meant to be anyway?

Has the timeline been confirmed because my understanding was it would be set between Enterprise and ToS? That is the only way where the ship design might make sense if you view the NX01 and the original 1701 and this falls between.

On 7/27/2016 at 16:02, killienick said:

That ship is bowfin. Star Trek ships have always had an etymology to them in that you can see elements of preceding ships. What class is it even meant to be anyway?

Has the timeline been confirmed because my understanding was it would be set between Enterprise and ToS? That is the only way where the ship design might make sense if you view the NX01 and the original 1701 and this falls between.

They already addressed the progression from the NX to the more traditional Saucer-Neck-Secondary Hull design. Its called the NX refit
nx_01_refit_beauty_shot_by_dangerousdac-

NX-01_REFIT.jpg
If Enterprise had been renewed for a 5th season(which it absolutely should have, it was starting to get great when they killed it) The Enterprise designer, who's name i forget penned this design for the refit that would have happened at the start of series 5 and the show would start to focus more on the Romulans and sow the seeds for the eventual wars in Kirks time. 

Seen Beyond tonight, great film. Feels much closer to proper TOS star trek than the prior films. Bringing Pegg in as writer was a great choice, you can tell he is a fan and he does the cast justice. Biggest problem with Into Darkness was that most of the bridge crew were underused, Chekov spent the film fucking about around the warp core, Sulu never leaves the bridge after they go searching for Khan, Bones was nonexistant.

This time its a crew effort and they really emphasize that throughout, Of course its still a Kirk show but everyone contributes.

Archived