Pro youth progression

paul-r-cfc

Noticed when Clyde folded their youth set up that they admitted to only promoting one player in the last few years and he only managed a couple of games for them, even at division 3 level.

Was just wondering if anyone know the stats for other smaller clubs and how many players they've promoted to their first team. Teams from the championship and below as premiership stats are generally a bit more accessible

Dunfermline currently have 4 first team players who came through; Ryan Williamson (29 apps), Shaun Byrne (102), Lewis Martin (51) and Lewis Spence (22). Few players past few seasons with 1 or 2 appearances to then be released. Them getting a chance more to do with the financial situation at the club I think more than anything else.

Forfar have "promoted" a few youth/development players over the last 2-3 seasons (3 at the end of 2013-14 and 5 at the end of last season were offered professional contracts)

Of the first 3, only Craig Smith (age 21) has been retained. He's made 24 appearances over 3 seasons.

Of the 5 promoted from last season's Development League East winning squad.

Kerr Hay (age 19) has made most appearances (17).

Michael Kennedy (age 19) has made 6 appearances.

The remaining 3 (James Yates (age 18), Cameron Clark (age 19) and Jason King (GK age 17)) are still to make their full debuts.

Clark and Yates have both been loaned out to local Junior clubs recently (as Craig Smith was last season) in order to give them match time.

Ayr currently have Robbie Crawford and Alan Forrest who are consistently on the subs bench to first team. We then have Shaun Newman, Andy Muir, Craig McCracken and Ryan Nisbet who are all regularly on the subs bench. Then after that we have Mick Wardope, Craig McGuffie and Sean McKenzie who are drafted in to the squad when needed. All these players are on professional contracts and not just pro youth.

• 1 month later...

There is definitely too many pro youth clubs. Far from being against the whole concept, I think the best should play best and focus at the elite club level.

I just don't get why the poor PY clubs need to travel across the country to get horsed when they would benefit much more playing locally. The system does not look after players well enough, majority of which will either never make it or even if lucky enough...will probably scramble a living. The St Ninians school project makes sense to me, I can see the benefits both in developing the player and their education.

Archived