Trade Union Bill

Poet of the Macabre

Hi, I hope the P&B political experts can help me out with this one.

Why is there such an outcry over this? The only thing I've heard so far are there would be a requirement for a 50% turnout for industrial action to take place, which to me seems fair. If not even half of folk can be bothered to vote then it's clearly not considered that important an issue.

Obviously there will be other parts to this that will be unpalatable (it is the Tories after all) but just want to find out more about the major problems people are having with this.

Why is there such an outcry over this? The only thing I've heard so far are there would be a requirement for a 50% turnout for industrial action to take place, which to me seems fair. If not even half of folk can be bothered to vote then it's clearly not considered that important an issue.

Obviously there will be other parts to this that will be unpalatable (it is the Tories after all) but just want to find out more about the major problems people are having with this.

Its not policy its tory ideology,plus nobody from big business has even asked for it,unless in private when they are making out cheques to gideon and the lads

:huh:

- It threatens the right to strike, particulalrly for agency workers.

- It restricts peaceful assembly and picketing protest

- on democratic "thresholds", it increases minimum turnout to 50%, and moreover, 40% must vote in favour before a strike is going to be legal. That's 80% to vote for strike action on a 50% turnout. This is apparently "more democratic"

- The Certification officer, who has oversight of TUs, can demand membership lists without good cause.

- Public sector union reps will have the time they can spend on union issues capped by Westminster.

Taken singly these are issues of concern, taken together they are an outright attack on what's left of workplace democracy and the right to strike.

:huh:

- It threatens the right to strike, particulalrly for agency workers.

- It restricts peaceful assembly and picketing protest

- on democratic "thresholds", it increases minimum turnout to 50%, and moreover, 40% must vote in favour before a strike is going to be legal. That's 80% to vote for strike action on a 50% turnout. This is apparently "more democratic"

- The Certification officer, who has oversight of TUs, can demand membership lists without good cause.

- Public sector union reps will have the time they can spend on union issues capped by Westminster.

Taken singly these are issues of concern, taken together they are an outright attack on what's left of workplace democracy and the right to strike.

Ok, most of those seem fairly unpleasant. In what ways does it restrict peaceful assembly? Also, do union reps have to log times they spend on union business currently?

I only wish there was an outcry. It's the biggest attack on democracy ever perpetrated by Westminster in my lifetime. Basically, Call me Dave and Gideon are peddling the line that it is "democratic" to hold the TUs to a threshold of mandate almost three times higher than that which they believe gives them the right to impose their will on the country.

Demanding higher turnout for validity while placing more and more obstacles in the way of achieving that turnout is simply anti-democratic. That the great british electorate is not up in arms about this is absolutely fucking baffling to me. How servile are they? When, in the name of God, did fighting for decent, safe working conditions, a fair wage and job security become an evil?

Most of our members have had the right to strike denied us since 1994, and the years of so-called Labour Government didn't return them. Cameron is now trying to impose the same restrictions on all workers. Get that? Workers. That's you, me, and everybody in those "hard-working families" the bastárd keeps banging on about.

"GET BACK IN YOUR BOX, SERF" - that's the Tory message. And this country is swallowing it. What a shower of wankers. Working-class Tories really are the scum of the earth.

Man above absolutely nails it. Making it harder to strike and harder to organise weakens and ultimately removes any effective bargaining for workers. We got an email in work saying my employer has explicitly threatened to discipline for any petitions signed in work, printed in work or even signed with work pens. It is ridiculous.

Unions become less effective, workers are less protected working conditions and living standard fall. It is an absolute outrage.

Archived