Mark Campbell

geo 1909

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a possibility of a Testimonial match to allow all his fans to contribute and applaud him one last time?

As the situation was only confirmed on Wednesday no discussions have taken place to date.

Don't believe anybody won a challenge for a high ball against him last season.

Our defending at set pieces has never recovered since he left. An absolute machine in the air and a huge threat at corners. Great player for us during his time here.

Sorry to hear his career has came to an end due to injury, although he has had a lot of problems with his knee over his career. Pretty sure it was his knee that took the brunt of his car crash as well.

Shame to hear Sparky's career is over. I'm actually quite surprised he was playing at such a good level. The biggest legacy of Gordon Dalziel's reign as manager coming in from St Johnstone into a defence containing Hilland, Lumsden, McLeod and Lyle. He came in and we arrested our form and steadied the team. From thereon in, he gave us what must've been a brilliant 5 or 6 years with Rovers. We eventually got promoted back to the (then) First Division after, along with big Marvin Andrews, the team only conceded 1 goal in 9 games.

I think my favourite Sparky moment was one of the first games he played coming back from the car crash which kept him out from February '10 to December of that year. In the new year derby, he marked it with a goal, along with Gregory Tade scoring an excellent goal. Seeing the two of them celebrate at the end of the goal, with Sparky lucky to be alive, was a brilliant sight!

Shame to hear Sparky's career is over. I'm actually quite surprised he was playing at such a good level. The biggest legacy of Gordon Dalziel's reign as manager coming in from St Johnstone into a defence containing Hilland, Lumsden, McLeod and Lyle. He came in and we arrested our form and steadied the team. From thereon in, he gave us what must've been a brilliant 5 or 6 years with Rovers. We eventually got promoted back to the (then) First Division after, along with big Marvin Andrews, the team only conceded 1 goal in 9 games.

I think my favourite Sparky moment was one of the first games he played coming back from the car crash which kept him out from February '10 to December of that year. In the new year derby, he marked it with a goal, along with Gregory Tade scoring an excellent goal. Seeing the two of them celebrate at the end of the goal, with Sparky lucky to be alive, was a brilliant sight!

I remember him being at Dens Park when we won 2-0 in the Scottish Cup Quarter Finals. The man could barely walk but made it up there to support the team and the reception he got on the pitch from us at full time will live with me for a long time.

Absolute legend for us!

On behalf of Auchinleck Talbot and Mark Campbell I would like to thank Greenock Juniors for the lovely letter handed to our Club Secretary prior to yesterday's cup tie. This was much appreciated by both parties and we fully appreciate the feelings expressed in the letter. Best wishes to Greenock Juniors for the future.

One of my favourite players in all my years watching the Rovers.

So good in the air to the extent that opposing forwards often didn't bother going up with him.

The reception he received up at Dundee that day was tremendous and will live long in the memory.

A great example of how highly regarded he was at Raith Rovers.

All the best big ane.

Archived