Celtic's European Campaign 2016/17

jagfox

Just now, Rugster said:

Do you seriously, honestly believe, that a few hundred people holding a flag up at Celtic Park is going to put pressure on a government?

No I don't. Forever blue seems to think that a protest is only valid if no-one has carried out a similar protest.

I personally think that if there were flags at every stadium in western Europe the Israeli government might pause for thought, but apparently you have to be the first one to think of something for it to be valid.

I also don't think that protests are only worthwhile if they achieve an immediate result. People can show solidarity if they want, my main problem with it is it will get my club fined and make match threads tedious.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, The OP said:

No I don't. Forever blue seems to think that a protest is only valid if no-one has carried out a similar protest.

I personally think that if there were flags at every stadium in western Europe the Israeli government might pause for thought, but apparently you have to be the first one to think of something for it to be valid.

I also don't think that protests are only worthwhile if they achieve an immediate result. People can show solidarity if they want, my main problem with it is it will get my club fined and make match threads tedious.

I don't think I did say you had to be the first to do anything , you posted that the Israeli government might take note because it has made some of the media out there. as if this is some sort of new break through method never tried before  , here is a news flash there are probably pro Palestine flag waving protests somewhere every week of the year in the western world and they have had little to no effect on the Israeli government , why do you think celtics will be any different? 

1 minute ago, forever_blue said:

I don't think I did say you had to be the first to do anything , you posted that the Israeli government might take note because it has made some of the media out there. Here is a news flash , there are probably pro Palestine flag waving protests somewhere every week of the year in the western world and they have had little to no effect on the Israeli government , why do you think celtics will be any different? 

I don't, I think it's part of a larger picture of disapproval which may keep them in some sort of check or might not. But it did make the Israeli press, so the idea no-one took notice is false.

I don't, I think it's part of a larger picture of disapproval which may keep them in some sort of check or might not. But it did make the Israeli press, so the idea no-one took notice is false.

Of course it would be picked up by the Israeli press , it happened at a match featuring one of their teams trying to qualify for europes major club football tournament , where no doubt some of their media outlets were present .it's hardly a surprise it has been picked up by some in their media . The effect it will have on the Israeli government and conflict in gaza is practically zero , any suggestion of anything otherwise is utterly laughable 

15 minutes ago, forever_blue said:

Of course it would be picked up by the Israeli press , it happened at a match featuring one of their teams trying to qualify for europes major club football tournament , where no doubt some of their media outlets were present .it's hardly a surprise it has been picked up by some in their media . The effect it will have on the Israeli government and conflict in gaza is practically zero , any suggestion of anything otherwise is utterly laughable 

so the protest served it's purpose,what about the football did celtic serve Scotland well or are you incapable of talking football?

15 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

so the protest served it's purpose,what about the football did celtic serve Scotland well or are you incapable of talking football?

Yes an ego boosting show of fuckwittery it served its purpose well , threatening to smack people and labelling woman going to a football game as child killers and rangers and celtic fans fighting outside central station is exactly the answer that the region has been looking for to resolve its issues in my opinion . 

And aye celtic played decent , was sursprised at how quickly the other lot scored their two goals but apart from that they were never in the game 

44 minutes ago, forever_blue said:

The fact you actually think that celtics display would have put any pressure on the Israeli government is baffling to be honest 

Every little helps...every team should do what Celtic did , the Aparthied state should be shunned like the old South Africa.

UEFA don't allow political statements in Football?... Israel playing in Europe ?

If that's not a political statement what is ?

7 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

Really? I just googled "Celtic v hapoel beer sheva highlights" and the first five pages are all, unsurprisingly, links to highlights of the game.

Didn't use the word "highlights" because I was after a match report and highlights if possible. If you google "Celtic v Hapoel Be'er Sheva" and then click on 'news' you'll see The Times of Israel. That was the first result yesterday but news is generally concerned with what is new.

Didn't use the word "highlights" because I was after a match report and highlights if possible. If you google "Celtic v Hapoel Be'er Sheva" and then click on 'news' you'll see The Times of Israel. That was the first result yesterday but news is generally concerned with what is new.

:lol:

6 minutes ago, The OP said:

Wow sounds like it's hot of the press world changing news right enough 

I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse on this thread but f**k it

The fact that people are judging how successful the protest was by how much media coverage it generated is indicative of it's emptiness.  The point of the protest was the protest itself.  There was no awareness raising, other than that huge subsection of society who pay lots of attention to displays at football games but zero on international affairs.

4 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

So you were looking for highlights but thought you would find them better by not searching for highlights and looking in the news section instead.

:lol:

He probably typed "have celtic, Tgfitw , more than a club by ra way  brought upon world peace" and clicked news 

I was looking for highlights of the game so I googled "Celtic Israel Palestine Protest Flags Green Brigade Solidarity".  Loads of interesting results.

Of course, Google uses algorithms developed by their Israeli sub-division so you should probably boycott them.

Ahahahah what a fucking mess.

I searched for highlights but deliberately didn't use the word highlights [emoji38]

I'll be honest, I don't remember if I was looking for a match report first or highlights first. Surprised this has caused such a huge stir as the point was that if you searched for the game around lunchtime yesterday The Times of Israel talking about flegs was the first hit.

2 hours ago, The OP said:

Now I'm not saying it was a worthwhile protest, I think I've made that clear, but some Israelis are possibly more aware now that their government's actions are frowned upon in the wider world. Although other Israeli articles seem to have just put it down to standard attempts to antagonize the away fans.

Standard attempt to antagonise the away support is exactly what it was. Nothing more, nothing less.  A bunch of pathetic wee dafties who don't realise that they may well have made sure that some innocent Celtic fan is giving a good tanking over there next week. I see this as no different to when we play Ajax and the same dafties turn up with their Feyenoord flags to annoy the away support or if we played Real Madrid they would turn up with Catalan flags. A couple of hundred people out of 60,000 who continually make sure we end up talking about everything expect the football.

But lets be clear, what is even more pathetic is the amount of people on here that get themselves in a complete mess because a couple of hundred dafties took a flag to a football game.

Just now, Tartantony said:

Standard attempt to antagonise the away support is exactly what it was. Nothing more, nothing less.  A bunch of pathetic wee dafties who don't realise that they may well have made sure that some innocent Celtic fan is giving a good tanking over there next week. I see this as no different to when we play Ajax and the same dafties turn up with their Feyenoord flags to annoy the away support or if we played Real Madrid they would turn up with Catalan flags. A couple of hundred people out of 60,000 who continually make sure we end up talking about everything expect the football.

But lets be clear, what is even more pathetic is the amount of people on here that get themselves in a complete mess because a couple of hundred dafties took a flag to a football game.

Having read the Green Brigade statement on this, I disagree. They claim that some of their members have visited Palestine, they've hosted a Palestinian footballer and they've been active in charities and protest groups. I think that's different from the guy waving a Russia flag at the Leicester fans because some English were battered by Russians over the summer.

Archived