Hearts v Aberdeen

Dunty

Judging by the responses, they seemed to just have read the word "postponement" and not read the full article. Folk saying that it was ridiculous that they should even mention postponing the game 5 days in advance as people had trains and hotels booked as well as the lack of rain in Edinburgh at the time.

OK that makes more sense. It read as if they were angry at Aberdeen even countenancing the prospect of a replay.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankfully this tie is in Edinburgh, because Pittodrie would be touch and go this weekend, after 5 days of constant rain then snow last night. Workplace was badly flooded this morning, leading to being sent home early, sadly.

Would imagine tomorrow will see a team along the lines of: Ward; Logan, Taylor, Reynolds, Considine; Flood, Shinnie; McGinn, McLean, Hayes; Rooney. I would consider playing Goodwillie tomorrow up front, as he worked superbly well back to goal at Tynecastle earlier in the season, whereas Rooney struggled at home to Hearts to make an impact. However, this will not happen.

For Hearts, surely Neilson will play a more ambitious formation tomorrow, Reilly looks in superb form, so he should play with Sow. In the middle of midfield, Djoum surely has to be played with either Gomis or Buaben (I'd personally play Pallardo with Djoum, if he was fit).

Sadly, I cannot see us winning tomorrow. The Edinburgh clubs, like the Dundee clubs last season, seem destined to end our cup runs. And we often tend to freeze when games are needing changed. On this occasion, I will predict 2-1 Hearts, Sow and Reilly, Rooney for us.

I hope Pallardo starts if his two previous performances against us are anything to go by.

I hope Pallardo starts if his two previous performances against us are anything to go by.

Pallardo is a very good player but he's struggling for match fitness. Missed pre season, niggling injuries and in and out the team. I personally wouldn't have him in the team tomorrow.

Second toughest draw the Dons could've got so although I'm looking forward to a great day out I'm edgy about the game.

Think we need to score first and play with real pace.

At least I know Aberdeen won't get bullied, seen that many a time at Tynecastle with drips like Diamond sticking in the mind.

1-2 hopefully if we score first, Jambo's get the first I'd be happy with a replay

3.5k Dandies at the best ground for atmosphere in the country with roughly 4hrs pub time pre match has gotta be good though.

Great city to visit

Just heard that Gomis is suspended for this - that's a blow, if true.

Alexander

Paterson - Ozturk - Rossi - Oshaniwa

King - Buaben - Djoum - Nicholson

Reilly - Swo

Subs: Hamilton, Augustyn, Pallardo, Swanson. Juanma, McGhee, Zanatta

Will this this, as I'm working - will try to catch some of it in the pub.

Not expecting much from this.

Be embarrassing if Hibs have more fans at Tynecastle for St Johnstone than Hearts for Aberdeen.

Never even thought of that! More of a backhanded compliment than actually slating them but the sales for this one seem surprising low compared to the excellent numbers they have been getting in the league this season.

3.5k Dandies at the best ground for atmosphere in the country with roughly 4hrs pub time pre match has gotta be good though.

There will be some absolute messes among the travelling fans. :lol::lol:

Be embarrassing if Hibs have more fans at Tynecastle for St Johnstone than Hearts for Aberdeen.

Don't be embarrassed Gaz, a Cup Semi final and a Cup fourth round tend to attract different sized crowds.

The last time we played Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup in 2010, at Pittodrie the crowd was only just over 8,000, and it wasn't live on BBC TV.

Don't be embarrassed Gaz, a Cup Semi final and a Cup fourth round tend to attract different sized crowds.

The last time we played Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup in 2010, at Pittodrie the crowd was only just over 8,000, and it wasn't live on BBC TV.

Cup 4th round ties between top flight clubs tend to get significantly lower crowds than the corresponding league fixtures these days.

Hopefully Gaz will experience this for himself next year

We were going through probably the worst period in our history at the time so not really a like for like comparison. In our most recent Saturday home cup tie we managed 10,000 home fans against Dumbarton.

The league game at Tynecastle was sold out weeks in advance and that was with fewer tickets available for home fans. I realise season tickets don't cover this game but given the fact it's 2nd vs 3rd in the league and the tickets are quite reasonably priced I would have expected near enough a full house based on Hearts' figures this season. Best possible kick-off time for a TV game as well.

We were going through probably the worst period in our history at the time so not really a like for like comparison. In our most recent Saturday home cup tie we managed 10,000 home fans against Dumbarton.

Our league meetings at Pittodrie that season got better attendances

The Dumbarton match was a quarter final and if you're going to adjust for Aberdeen's crap season in 2010 you should, strictly speaking take into account that Aberdeen were cruising to 2nd place at the time and the smell of silver polish was in the air.

The plain fact is that in the modern era meetings between top flight teams in this early stage of the cup don't attract the same attendances as league games.

That seems to apply across the board.

Not really, I'd say it would be quite embarrassing if Hibs couldn't muster more than 10,000 for a semi-final on 'home' turf.

Our league meetings at Pittodrie that season got better attendances

The Dumbarton match was a quarter final and if you're going to adjust for Aberdeen's crap season in 2010 you should, strictly speaking take into account that Aberdeen were cruising to 2nd place at the time and the smell of silver polish was in the air.

The plain fact is that in the modern era meetings between top flight teams in this early stage of the cup don't attract the same attendances as league games.

That seems to apply across the board.

That is definitely correct, just surprised a team that manages to sell out pretty much every home league game would see a drop in ticket sales of around 5000 for a cup game compared to the corresponding league fixture (which probably could have attracted around 25k if capacity was there). Admittedly, it is entirely possible that sales tomorrow will boost the numbers, I just expected Hearts to near enough sell out their three stands in advance of the game, despite it being a cup fixture.

Not really, I'd say it would be quite embarrassing if Hibs couldn't muster more than 10,000 for a semi-final on 'home' turf.

Hearts couldn't have had much more than 10k at Easter Road for the semi v ICT.

P.S Mon ih Dons

Archived