Rangers still in the championship

No, it won't have come close to what Rangers were spending in absolute terms. That's no defence of course - given what they could generate, the spending was truly bonkers, but Rangers would have been spending very much more, even at the height of Dundee's folly.

The subject may have been done to death, but it's still not been sufficient, for you to understand it apparently.

In that period tho Rangers were offsetting spending by selling players (we've generated a fair bit over the years) and revenues were pretty high, while at Dundee they had lower crowds, lower commercial deals.

On the plus side we got Caniggia, Novo and zurab Can't spell his name from them.

It has been done to death.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In that period tho Rangers were offsetting spending by selling players (we've generated a fair bit over the years) and revenues were pretty high, while at Dundee they had lower crowds, lower commercial deals.

On the plus side we got Caniggia, Novo and zurab Can't spell his name from them.

Yes, but I was explicitly talking in absolute terms about spending. As I've already said, Dundee's spending was perhaps even more ridiculous than Rangers', as turnover and income would not be able to match Rangers'. You went on however to claim that Dundee actually spent more.

When I pointed out that this was wrong, you simply moved the goalposts away to something different that I'd already conceded.

Arguing, Bennett style, I suppose.

And yes, the subject has indeed been done to death. You were however, utterly wrong in saying that Rangers registered their players properly. It's a matter of uncontested record that they did not.

On the subject of the Georgian whose 2nd name you forget, (Kizhnazhvili or some such?), didn't Rangers get him on the cheap due to exploiting some loophole, at a time when Dundee really needed the money?

Alongside Murray's comments when Airdrie were going under, it helps make the fate that befell Rangers, evermore delicious.

That's not strictly true either.

In that specific period Dundee may well have spent more, I'm guessing that they did, you say thst you disagree.

You'll recall Jum said that Dundee were paying 7, 8 and 9 grand a week on some players.

We're Rangers spending less than that, aye?

In that specific period Dundee may well have spent more, I'm guessing that they did, you say thst you disagree.

Yes.

As I recall, people like Cannigia and Ravanelli were earning about £15,000 a week at Dundee - absolute madness in the context of that club. Rangers would have had plenty of players on that kind of money or more, though. After all, Cannigia was tempted away to Rangers long before either club sank.

In terms of transfer fees too, Dundee's outlay wasn't huge - unaffordable yes, but not huge. This was the spell however that saw Rangers spend massive fees on guys like Flo.

I don't think there's a debate here at all, about who spent more in absolute terms. I don't say that as any kind of defence of what Dundee did though, because there really is none.

Yes.

As I recall, people like Cannigia and Ravanelli were earning about £15,000 a week at Dundee - absolute madness in the context of that club. Rangers would have had plenty of players on that kind of money or more, though. After all, Cannigia was tempted away to Rangers long before either club sank.

In terms of transfer fees too, Dundee's outlay wasn't huge - unaffordable yes, but not huge. This was the spell however that saw Rangers spend massive fees on guys like Flo.

I don't think there's a debate here at all, about who spent more in absolute terms. I don't say that as any kind of defence of what Dundee did though, because there really is none.

You're slighlty out with your timing, during that period McLeish was the manager and Rangers were not signing players like flo.

You don't have to.

No, I don't suppose I do. I'm right though, am I not?

Am I right in saying that you're not a lifelong Rangers fan? You adopted them on moving up here from England, didn't you?

Apologies if I'm confusing you with someone else.

You're slighlty out with your timing, during that period McLeish was the manager and Rangers were not signing players like flo.

We're talking about similar eras. Bonetti was in charge at Dundee 2000-2002. Advocaat was in charge from 1998 until the end of 2001. It was he who signed Flo in 2000. The periods certainly overlapped even if they didn't match perfectly. There will not have been a year during which Dundee spent anything like what Rangers did.

No, I don't suppose I do. I'm right though, am I not? Am I right in saying that you're not a lifelong Rangers fan? You adopted them on moving up here from England, didn't you? Apologies if I'm confusing you with someone else.

Yeah, I moved up from Stretford. There's a very famous team down there who wouldn't just my 'local' team but they've won multiple Premierships and Champions League trophies. Yet, here's me following Rangers to the likes of Albion Rovers and Arbroath.

Glory Hunter?... Nah, I don't think so. :)

I moved up here at a very early age and have supported Rangers ever since, just the same way anyone else starts supporting their team when they become interested in football. That may not be a "lifelong Rangers fan" to you but I'd say it qualifies.

Can I just say 'revisionist pysh' to the above.

DeadRangers were miles away from balancing the books in the Advocarthorse years.

The 2002 accounts (little Dick's final year, showed DeadRangers making a loss of... Wait for it... You'll never believe it.. £35m. Yip you read that right! DeadRangers lost just shy of £3m per month. The cumulative losses stood at £110m!

Yours

aDONis

Yeah, I moved up from Stretford. There's a very famous team down there who wouldn't just my 'local' team but they've won multiple Premierships and Champions League trophies. Yet, here's me following Rangers to the likes of Albion Rovers and Arbroath.

Glory Hunter?... Nah, I don't think so. :)

I moved up here at a very early age and have supported Rangers ever since, just the same way anyone else starts supporting their team when they become interested in football. That may not be a "lifelong Rangers fan" to you but I'd say it qualifies.

Yeah, fair enough. I thought you'd moved here in adulthood - I hadn't realised it was much earlier. I take it that it was Glasgow itself you moved to?

If 'glory hunting' is not part of the appeal though, why are you so keen to taunt supporters of much much smaller clubs about how much Rangers have won?

Seems a bit self-evident and therefore daft, to me.

I listened to a bit of a podcast interview with jum spence yesterday and he was waxing lyrical about them bringing in superstars like Ravanelli, debts of over £25m plus the Marrs also mounting up high personal debts.

Other teams have went into debt/spent over the odds to get success, its not unique to Rangers.

But dying is.

Rangers, Getna, Third Lanark.

Yeah, fair enough. I thought you'd moved here in adulthood - I hadn't realised it was much earlier. I take it that it was Glasgow itself you moved to?

If 'glory hunting' is not part of the appeal though, why are you so keen to taunt supporters of much much smaller clubs about how much Rangers have won? Seems a bit self-evident and therefore daft, to me.

Clydebank.

In terms of being "keen" to taunt supporters of clubs who don't win trophies, it's just football banter. And, to be fair, I mainly use it as a response rather than to instigate an argument. Fans are quick to criticise Rangers so it's perfectly reasonable to bring up their own teams' lack of success in reply.

Clydebank.

In terms of being "keen" to taunt supporters of clubs who don't win trophies, it's just football banter. And, to be fair, I mainly use it as a response rather than to instigate an argument. Fans are quick to criticise Rangers so it's perfectly reasonable to bring up their own teams' lack of success in reply.

Once more, fair enough, although it seems a shame that Clydebank with their all seater stadium couldn't benefit from your custom.

When are we talking about anyway, out of interest? When I was in my teens, Clydebank were often a top flight club.

Once more, fair enough, although it seems a shame that Clydebank with their all seater stadium couldn't benefit from your custom. When are we talking about anyway, out of interest? When I was in my teens, Clydebank were often a top flight club.

1992. I think they were in the first division at that point. Maybe the second division. I still follow their results to this day and have even been to some games since they reformed. I stay in Hillington (Glasgow) these days so I don't go to games any more.

Bit of a stretch to say Kilbowie Park was an all-seater stadium though! :) It had wooden benches.

Still, there's many teams local to Glasgow. It's a big place.

1992. I think they were in the first division at that point. Maybe the second division. I still follow their results to this day and have even been to some games since they reformed. I stay in Hillington (Glasgow) these days so I don't go to games any more.

Bit of a stretch to say Kilbowie Park was an all-seater stadium though! :) It had wooden benches.

Still, there's many teams local to Glasgow. It's a big place.

In those days, wooden benches counted.

I think Clydebank were in the first back then. My one trip to Kilbowie was actually in '92, for a game against Kilmarnock. I spent that year living in Glasgow and working for a spell in Clydebank funnily enough.

Imagine a world where you followed Clydebank, Tedi Arbroath, Kincardine Motherwell and Bennett Kilmarnock.

Think how competitive and exciting it could all genuinely be.

Archived