Any skids fans on here?

wishyman

2 minutes ago, Lee Van Tee said:

Must have been pretty special. Can't claim to have seen any band who broke big in their very earliest days.

Did you foresee big success back then?

Biggest thing was that they were a local band who were looking as if they might break into the big(ger) time.  Jobson was 2 years below me at school and i knew his older brother, Jock, through football, so i was interested in them from the off.  Stuart Adamson was the guy who made the Skids, Jobson was the visual presence. 

I met a wee Mexican guy the other week in Dunoon who was across in Scotland  to find some Pictish stones or some such shite (as he was telling me in front the wifie he was travelling with).

He later revealed to me that his first stop was Dunfermline as he was brought up on Big Country and The Skids in El Paso, Texas and he held no interest in any stones. I also directed him to Kirriemuir to Bon Scott’s statue as he was a big AC/DC fan.

I met a wee Mexican guy the other week in Dunoon who was across in Scotland  to find some Pictish stones or some such shite (as he was telling me in front the wifie he was travelling with).

He later revealed to me that his first stop was Dunfermline as he was brought up on Big Country and The Skids in El Paso, Texas and he held no interest in any stones. I also directed him to Kirriemuir to Bon Scott’s statue as he was a big AC/DC fan.
Cool story etc etc.

3 hours ago, hearthammer said:

Biggest thing was that they were a local band who were looking as if they might break into the big(ger) time.  Jobson was 2 years below me at school and i knew his older brother, Jock, through football, so i was interested in them from the off.  Stuart Adamson was the guy who made the Skids, Jobson was the visual presence. 

Aye, I'd say Adamson made the Skids too, although I've never been that keen on Big Country strangely enough.

15 minutes ago, Lee Van Tee said:

Aye, I'd say Adamson made the Skids too, although I've never been that keen on Big Country strangely enough.

If you listen to their stuff, its all guitar led and, considering the era, was melodic although it was "punk".  Stuart Adamson took that on to BC and improved and enhanced the melodic sound in most of their tracks.  Great example is "Wonderland" although my long term favourite is Porroh Man from their 1st album, The Crossing.

Its all about opinions (and i probably have a wheen of years more than you)  👍🎸

I was at one of BC's first gigs, Strathclyde Uni Union in 82. They had so few songs they played their set, went off and encored with a repeat of the whole set.
Saw them at Kilwinning Flicks about same time, 5 years later saw them at Wembley stadium supporting Bowie! Absolutely loved Stuart Adamson as a guitarist, met him a couple of times and was a nice guy too! Sadly missed!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/09/2019 at 23:40, Arch Stanton said:

I was at one of BC's first gigs, Strathclyde Uni Union in 82. They had so few songs they played their set, went off and encored with a repeat of the whole set.

I have a cassette tape of that gig somewhere; the only time I have heard “The Crossing” (the track not the album) played live.  First saw them at the Nite Club in Edinburgh spring 1983

Edited by PRS
Spelling

Apologies if it’s been posted but the skids do a version of into the valley on the last episode of a view from the terrace.
Skids were very much before my time but growing up in Fife n having a father who likes music I was made aware of them. Into the valley is still a song me n my pals will put on and enjoy.

• 2 years later...