Suggestions Please

monkeyblair

I'm sure I have posted this before but can't find the thread.

Looking for another box set to start and looking for suggestions. I have seen and enjoyed the following:-

Breaking Bad

Better Call Saul

Game of Thrones

The Blacklist

The Wire

Sons of Anarchy

I have heard House of Cards and Mad Men are good as is Boardwalk Empire?

Any others please?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wentworth.

Rehash of Prisoner Cell Block H, sounds terrible I know. My gf started watching it and i would just catch bits and pieces here and there, before i knew it I was hooked. The latest series was one of the best series of TV i have watched.

I'd second the Sopranos and True Detective Season 1. Not sure i'd bother with 24, I'm working my way through it just now, on season 6 and could pretty much write the script. Its ok TV to just turn the brain off to but nothing more.

Broadchurch was excellent, especially the first series.

Game of Thrones is great.

Always Sunny in Philidelphia if you want some comedy, funniest TV i've ever seen but wont be to everyones taste.

I'm sure I have posted this before but can't find the thread.

Looking for another box set to start and looking for suggestions. I have seen and enjoyed the following:-

Breaking Bad

Better Call Saul

Game of Thrones

The Blacklist

The Wire

Sons of Anarchy

I have heard House of Cards and Mad Men are good as is Boardwalk Empire?

Any others please?

Looks like you are on Netflix so i'd recommend both Daredevil & Jessica Jones if you like the sound of violent comic book shows. Both are very good.

Mad Men is a bit of a change of pace from the shows you've already watched. Very slow-burn. The writing and characters are very good (particularly in the early series) but don't expect any action.

House of Cards is very good with the focus on Kevin Spacey's scheming politician plotting in Washington. If you don't give 2 shits about American politics this probably wont grab you.

Boardwalk Empire was watchable but pretty much exactly what you'd expect. Gangsters smuggling booze and getting in trouble while doing it. I watched a couple of series quite happily but lost the thread after that.

Agree with:

• True Detective season 1 is tremendous television (haven't ventured into season 2 yet).
  • Broadchurch season 1 (it devolves into soap opera in season 2).
  • Brooklyn Nine Nine is really excellent bubblegum police comedy
  • Detectorists (not even sure this is out on DVD, can probably even catch up on BBC4 reruns)
  • The Fall
  • The Last Kingdom (again, not even sure you can buy the box set)
  • Rectify
  • Mad Men

Also:

• House of Cards original UK edition rips the shit out of the US remake, but that's also worth a watch.
  • Man in the High Castle is on probation until I see where they take it after a decent 1st season.
  • The Leftovers is brutally slow and has 3+ more seasons of the same planned, I'd steer clear.

Going back a bit, Six Feet Under, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, The Wire, Alias is great fun.

Archived