Tom Hart Memorial Trophy

HibeeJibee

This 'tournament' - it seems to have been just a single friendly per time - was introduced in 1982, in memory of former Hibs chairman Tom Hart.

It was first contested between Hibs and Hearts during the latters sojourn to the First Division... Jackie McNamara got a last minute winner sparking fighting inside the ground, and more after - from what I can read online, this included a bus being attacked, cars and ice cream vans overturned, and shop windows smashed as far away as Jenners.

I have then found reference to a further edition being held in late 1985 (against Dunfermline for some reason).

Were there any other editions played - e.g. 1983-84, 1984-85, and 1986-87 onwards - and does anyone remember the games?

Monday 9th August 1982

Hibernian 1-0 Heart of Midlothian

Att: 10,000

report here: http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/images/1982/1982080901.htm

Tuesday 3rd December 1985

Hibernian 5-3 Dunfermline Athletic

report here: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2507&dat=19851204&id=YbdAAAAAIBAJ&sjid=xqUMAAAAIBAJ&pg=6475,849502&hl=en

• 1 month later...

I remember the match well as it was my first derby game at Easter road.Everyone from 12 to 20 seemed to be a skinhead back then.

Their was indeed alot of trouble all along Easter road with Milk bottle crates being the order of the day as many poor shop ownwers windows disintegrated under the storm.

The trouble continued all the way through St Andrews Bus station and onto Jenners and all along the Bridges before order was finally restored.

Pretty sure it was the first derby for a couple of years due to the fact that both teams had spent time in the 1st Division.

Hibs at that time still had the huge east terracing where the fans used to congregate half way up,looked pretty ridiculous to be fair.

I remember the match well as it was my first derby game at Easter road.Everyone from 12 to 20 seemed to be a skinhead back then.

Their was indeed alot of trouble all along Easter road with Milk bottle crates being the order of the day as many poor shop ownwers windows disintegrated under the storm.

The trouble continued all the way through St Andrews Bus station and onto Jenners and all along the Bridges before order was finally restored.

Pretty sure it was the first derby for a couple of years due to the fact that both teams had spent time in the 1st Division.

Hibs at that time still had the huge east terracing where the fans used to congregate half way up,looked pretty ridiculous to be fair.

That was a magnificent terracing, one of, if not the most impressive terracings in Scottish football...

Archived