Thailand advice

Burnie_man

Honestly speaking, when it comes to having to tiptoe on egg shells to preserve a relationship, dealing with the Chinese and Japanese take it to a whole new level.

Agree on Japan, but the Chinese are a lot more easy going and open to foreigners in my experience. Communism got rid of the cultural baggage from the feudal era that Japanese society still has, but even there I suspect there will be big changes once the baby boom generation are no longer in control.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree on Japan, but the Chinese are a lot more easy going and open to foreigners in my experience. Communism got rid of the cultural baggage from the feudal era that Japanese society still has, but even there I suspect there will be big changes once the baby boom generation are no longer in control.

You're right that Japan is worse than China. I guess what makes the Japanese even more 'difficult' is the layers of subtlety built into their communication i.e. yes absolutely doesn't mean what we think - more of a confirmation of understanding ;maybe means probably no; and no means no.

My experience of Chinese is more the Hong Kong Chinese, but for a Westerner i think so called mainland and HK Chinese are shades of the same colour. Actually, i found the mainland Chinese easier to work with as they didn't have the HK Chinese superiority complex. Still difficult.

Found Koreans very strange...in that the male and female characteristics were so different. I often think that if Scotland was in Asia, we'd be Korea. Love of drink, a tad sexist, and have a close natural enemy.

There are a few nice places in the Philippines, that's true. Parts can be visually stunning, but it's they way they interact, the lack of value on honesty and how they behave generally that makes it an unredeemable shithole.

A female friend of mine was sexually assaulted on one of the provinces by a German and asked for my support in making the complaint to the police. I obliged and the police took the complaint seriously. However as it involves a foreigner they had to apply to the BOI (immigration) for information on the foreigner. Even, in the presence of a senior police officer with all necessary paperwork the BOI representative refused to hand over any data without a payment. Once that was cleared up the BOI representative said that any case against the foreigner could take a long time, but for a fee, he could 'apply' a note to his records up to murder or indecent assault of a minor to ensure of his immediate arrest and deportation. Fucking mental!

A similar situation happened with a Norwegian friend. His ex-wife was Filipino (living in Norway) and he just had a child with his latest Filipino girlfriend. All of a sudden he was arrested and deported from the Philippines because of a crime he had committed and it turned out it was similar to the above and was told he would need to 'out bid' the money paid to have it reversed. He is now separated from his daughter and her mother because of jealousy. Again fucking mental.

My dealings with the police after the robbery on my house was frightening and too long to go into, but all in all everything ended up in Mindanao, and that is the land that time forgot.

I was asked to consult on the acquisition of a theme park between two Filipino companies. A theme park that had never opened in 19 years of existence and owned by one of the richest families in the Philippines. In short all parties, including the government were covering up corruption, extortion, assault and highly likely (but no proof) multiple murders. I obviously got the hell out of that and finally, on police advice out the country.

Maybe I ended up too involved in certain aspects of the country that maybe people don't see (and maybe goes on in other countries that I haven't seen), but it's fucked up and is a million miles from ever being resolved.

And I would blame education and religion as the two factors that cause the problem.

I'm not surprised or shocked by what you describe. It's a pretty nice country only spoiled by its people! I read elsewhere here about your troubles, sorry to hear that.

I'm lucky that I'm kinda retired here, so my interaction with locals is minimal - I'm aware that makes things infinitely easier. I get you about administration- i hate having to interact with immigration and the likes, although i haven't had any problems t.b.f. but Iloilo provence is pretty well known for its good governance.

I was chatting with a neighbour last night, a Norwegian guy, and i mentioned that the Philippines hasn't really jumped aboard the Asian boom. My belief is that the local warlord families have no reason or motivation to invite external interest or scrutiny.

A pity, because it has a relatively well-educated population whose objective seems to be to work outside their own country. Many university graduates dream of leaving to work in other Asian cities cleaning toilets or serving beers in a bar on a cruise ship.

I try to keep myself to myself and under the radar as it were to minimise the possibility of trouble as I'm not confident that being right here matters much.

I think if your retired, away from Luzon and keep yourself to yourself your probably fine. But somewhere you'll be a victim of at least a petty crime. The stats kind of suggest it will happen.

I'm in Vietnam for 5 days then over to the Philippines for 5 far from looking forward to it.

Enjoy the Red Horse :-)

I think if your retired, away from Luzon and keep yourself to yourself your probably fine. But somewhere you'll be a victim of at least a petty crime. The stats kind of suggest it will happen.

I'm in Vietnam for 5 days then over to the Philippines for 5 far from looking forward to it.

Enjoy the Red Horse :-)

Your probably right but us Scots can be a little streetwise when needed so petty will hopefully be about the size of it.

I'm a San Mig Light man b.t.w.

Hope that's all it ever becomes. I do know a Scottish builder, quite successful down south, who met a Filipino, moved over as a self financed immigrant. Done some building projects that caught the eye of the local mayor who persuaded him to build a 5 storey multi purpose complex that towered above everything else. Once completed, the mayor refuted every business licence ensuring the building lay empty and the builder couldn't do anything and offered a relative to take it off the builders hands at a knock down price. Up to now the guy has refused to budge, but he has been suckered by the mayor, no chance of winning and as he digs his heels in further may cause himself serious problems.

The there is the Aussie guy, married to Filipina who has buggered off with his medical insurance payout while he lies in hospital.......

God I could go on forever! Can't stand the red horse myself, was a SM light man myself but moved to SM dry.

Think if you want to do business (as opposed to working) in a foreign country, especially a SE Asian one, you're going to fly above the radar and, in my experience, that's when the real trouble can kick in.

No question the people can be slippery snakes-met some absolute nut job women from the Philippines when i lived in Hong Kong. And when you're in their place with their family around then the real fun starts. So far I'm ok.

You'll be a Bintan man now though. Love the extra-large bottles of beer you get in Indonesia.

In part I'd agree, but worked extensively in Hungary, Romania and Poland pre-EU, Serbia, Russia, Vietnam and China and never once had bother. The Philippines has had it all.

Ironically my wife has just been conned in Indonesia, which under pins the risks in this neck of the woods.

Your right about the Philippines, even if you find a good one, there is a family member just around the corner waiting to f**k you over.

One description of the perfect Filipina was, petite, nice smile, nurse, teacher or professional job and all

Her family members dead.

Terrible but has some truth.

In part I'd agree, but worked extensively in Hungary, Romania and Poland pre-EU, Serbia, Russia, Vietnam and China and never once had bother. The Philippines has had it all.

Ironically my wife has just been conned in Indonesia, which under pins the risks in this neck of the woods.

Your right about the Philippines, even if you find a good one, there is a family member just around the corner waiting to f**k you over.

One description of the perfect Filipina was, petite, nice smile, nurse, teacher or professional job and all

Her family members dead.

Terrible but has some truth.

No question the Philippines is up there with the best of them in the dodgy character stakes. You have certainly seen enough places to compare.

Had a wee chuckle about your description of the perfect Filipina - i heard pretty much the same but the last line simply said 'Orphan.' Harsh, but fair.

Anyhow...the Bintan?

I do fair like Bintan, but I've been living in Bekasi (outside Jakarta) and getting alcohol. I'm in Singapore for 3-6 months to set a company up so enjoying civilisation for a while, but on business tour (busmans) just now. So being enjoying the bababa in Vietnam and over to Philippines on Wednesday.

After the Singapore set up I have an acquisition/set up to do in the Philippines, so will be back for an extended period then, with some luck a set up in Vietnam.

Would happily live in Vietnam or Cambodia long term. I think the wife prefers Singapore.

Kind of back on topic, I'd rate South East Asia as:

1) Vietnam

2) Cambodia

3) Malaysia

4) Indonesia

5) Thailand

6) Singapore

7) Laos

8) Philippines.

Can't comment on Myanmar or Brunei as I haven't been.

Spent time in Mindanao in the Philippines and that was completely mental.

Singapore is a very civilized part of SE Asia, been a few times but the prices are a wee bit high even compared to Hong Kong if you exclude housing.

Vietnam, been 3 times but only HCM, loved it. Cambodia was never attractive t.b.h. but wish I'd given it a go. Went to Myanmar about 15 years ago, Rangoon, think I liked it but not 100% sure, it's that kinda place. Mindanao- well, what can I add?

Warts and all, i'd take Asia over USA every time. America is great to travel but for living it just seems so predictable and bland. The food is a microcosm of the culture, the only stuff worth trying is imported from other cultures. Anyways, that's taken things way off topic.

I adore Cambodia. Such a friendly people who have been through so much. It is kind of disturbing wandering around notcing how young the poplulation are. There's a crazy amount under 23, think it's something like 60%. But that will change. Someone described Cambodia as the next Thailand to me. And Myanmar will be the next Cambodia, tourism wise that is.

I think the massive deviations on this topic show the OP that he can't go wrong no matter where he ends up in SE Asia. Except the Phillipines. Horrible people, partial to a frequent tornado and their future President hates gays. Not really got a lot going for it.

Singapore is a very civilized part of SE Asia, been a few times but the prices are a wee bit high even compared to Hong Kong if you exclude housing.

Vietnam, been 3 times but only HCM, loved it. Cambodia was never attractive t.b.h. but wish I'd given it a go. Went to Myanmar about 15 years ago, Rangoon, think I liked it but not 100% sure, it's that kinda place. Mindanao- well, what can I add?

Warts and all, i'd take Asia over USA every time. America is great to travel but for living it just seems so predictable and bland. The food is a microcosm of the culture, the only stuff worth trying is imported from other cultures. Anyways, that's taken things way off topic.

Singapore has got horrendously expensive. Thank god I'm not paying to live there and as enjoyable as it is, I'll be glad to get back to normality of other SEA countries.

I cannot agree more your opinion of the US (and I'll throw Canada in there as I lived in Canada twice), boring and bland.

When I was in Mindanao an Aussie was kidnapped (about 3 years ago) and still hasn't been released and I was done an illegal goldmine when there was a landslide in the txt ballet which shut down all the illegal goldmines. Horrible place

Singapore has got horrendously expensive. Thank god I'm not paying to live there and as enjoyable as it is, I'll be glad to get back to normality of other SEA countries.

I cannot agree more your opinion of the US (and I'll throw Canada in there as I lived in Canada twice), boring and bland.

When I was in Mindanao an Aussie was kidnapped (about 3 years ago) and still hasn't been released and I was done an illegal goldmine when there was a landslide in the txt ballet which shut down all the illegal goldmines. Horrible place

Unless there was another kidnap the Aussie was released in 2013.

2013 would be about right. Could have sworn when the recent kidnappings happened there was a bit on the news saying the Australian boy was still not released. There we go

Might be mixing up with a paedo arrested last year who thankfully hasn't been released.

I think the massive deviations on this topic show the OP that he can't go wrong no matter where he ends up in SE Asia. Except the Phillipines. Horrible people, partial to a frequent tornado and their future President hates gays. Not really got a lot going for it.

Yip, fascinating reading! A number of HK visits and two Japan trips have been my only real experience of Asia.

Phuket is looking likely for 6/7 days with a a few days in either Bangkok or HK beforehand.

place

My flat there was 15 k usd a month 3 years ago.Was a nice place but thank fook i wasnt paying the bill

Even the 2 noggies i was working with would gulp at the food/drinks bill

Archived