How do you get funding for a community project?

Irvine Town Afc

Very difficult to get funding like that unless you are an established team. The council is the least likely of all organisations to provide any funding at all.

I would try the Weir Trust or the Lotto fund first of all. My club have obtained funds from both, although that was only for £400 and £1500 respectively.

South Ayrshire Council do offer "financial support for voluntary organisations" but it's difficult to obtain and the level of funding is probably not what you require. I don't know if North Ayrshire offer something similar. My advice, is you are to contact the council is to do it ASAP as they might have some budget to spend before the new tax year starts in April. After April, they are cautious about spending as they don't want to blow the budget to early.

You cant. Well not as simply as you put it. To get anything above £500-£1000 you have to jump through hoops and have a law degree.

You need to be part of an organised and documented community group. Not just a football club, it has to look at all aspects of community life. So is there a local rugby club, running club, or could the club room provide a place for the community to use, like OAP events or childrens parties etc.

Or a limited company set up to run like any business with all the insurance and practices in place like legal stuff.

It has to be all formal and legal. So either a community group with formal committee with minutes and financial records, banks accounts and a rock solid constitution etc. Who gets what if the company goes bust? who maintains and staff it? Who pays the wages/pension etc for anyone who works at it. What if in a year or 2 you decide you dont have time or you cant mainain/run the facility?

AND It all has to point towards the Scottish Govt and Local Authority plans, it has to reference them and lead towards achieving the goals they set up. So health, social inclusion, education etc etc

its an absolute disaster and its designed that way on purpose in my opinion. It is a process that can take up to 5 years at times, involves councils, councillors, sports scotland, other sporting clubs in your area, planning, legal sides, local residents, accountants etc and all that with the knowlege it could suddently be rejected or fall through at any minute. Or that housing comany could just offer them cash to build on the land and then your stuck. And whilst you will be questioned within an inch of your life, the Council will do nothing to help or answer anything straight forward.

I know this because i went through this process myself.

How would I go about the community club system?

We are looking to fund a lot of it ourselves and all the tradesmen in the club mucking in and doing the work themselves. Just looking for some funding along the way to buy portable goals etc and maybe fencing for round the park so it's preserved rather than getting used by kids all summer who wreck the turf.

We are looking at a few boys clubs to come onboard with us to try and start a younger generation that can be coached well and filter through under our club banner

For example u have the Kilwinning sports club but nothing in Irvine but shit parks and 3g that was laid about 10 years ago.

We are not looking for someone to build us a pitch and changing rooms. We will do it ourselves but just want some financial help along the way if it's possible

In Ayr The Brambles Trust is at an advanced stage to take over the astro pitch at whitletts and turn it in to a 4g pitch with changing facilities and other facilities. The trust is be lead by valspar boys club and Whitletts JFC are also involved.

It has been ongoing for a few year but they are now at advanced stage I believe and are just trying to tie down funding.

I expect long term if it's a success they would also take over the main activity centre.

With cuts to local authorities I would be surprised if asset transfers to community groups /football teams who can demonstrate they could take over building doesn't become s common thing. It happened in kincaidston in Ayr however the community group then charged the football team too much to play!

Crosshill raised funding for the new clubhouse which is an excellent facility in sure buster and the committee will say it was a long process and they have had their ups n downs with SAC with that and the state of their pitch but a great facility never the less.

I wouldn't imagine it will be an easy process but I just think it's a disgrace that teams from irvine are going to be forced to play outside of the town. We already play in springside because the condition of the pitches in the town are shocking.

I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to help a team build something for the future. Like I said, we will do all of the work ourselves as the team is full of tradesmen. All we want is a little help with funds and pointed in the right direction.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you how hard it is to keep a Saturday sponsor, especially when every home game seems like an away tie and you can't even get your own members back because of the distance they need to travel and on most occasions drive past their house to go to the pub.

Frustrating to say the least!!!

In Ayr The Brambles Trust is at an advanced stage to take over the astro pitch at whitletts and turn it in to a 4g pitch with changing facilities and other facilities. The trust is be lead by valspar boys club and Whitletts JFC are also involved.

It has been ongoing for a few year but they are now at advanced stage I believe and are just trying to tie down funding.

I expect long term if it's a success they would also take over the main activity centre.

With cuts to local authorities I would be surprised if asset transfers to community groups /football teams who can demonstrate they could take over building doesn't become s common thing. It happened in kincaidston in Ayr however the community group then charged the football team too much to play!

Crosshill raised funding for the new clubhouse which is an excellent facility in sure buster and the committee will say it was a long process and they have had their ups n downs with SAC with that and the state of their pitch but a great facility never the less.

The problem Whitletts have had in getting funds, is that Sport Scotland etc, won't give funds for council owned facilities.

Archived