Challenge Cup: no more?

vikingTON

Keep it as a 32 team tournament, but reduce it to 8 after the first round by throwing 4 teams all on one park for 90 minutes. Each team attacks a goal in one corner of the ground and defends the other 3. Team that scores the most goals in the 90 minutes goes through.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep it as a 32 team tournament, but reduce it to 8 after the first round by throwing 4 teams all on one park for 90 minutes. Each team attacks a goal in one corner of the ground and defends the other 3. Team that scores the most goals in the 90 minutes goes through.

Just 1 ball in play, or multiple?

Rearranged games are taking place in February this season (the convention seemed to be holding off until March in the past), which means that there should be enough room for a short, sharp competition kicking off in late March or so in any reasonable season. Getting rid of the midweek league round in March and holding that in August or September instead would also ease congestion. We can also make better use of the festive period and Easter to hold matches but don't bother at the moment.

I'd very much like to see the regional tiers participating in the competition, but that would probably need a weekend first round date to work. Once most of them likely crash out at that stage, having a few left to compete in midweek ties wouldn't be a major drawback IMO.

All fair points, but you still can't guarantee that there'll be enough spare midweeks at that point of the season. If we're also looking to get the Highland & Lowland leagues involved and therefore want a weekend date for the first round, it's more palatable to do that at the start of August.

You can merely push the first league game back one week if you're doing it in August, rather than taking a break from league duty for the Challenge Cup on a weekend in March. That would be viewed as an unwelcome interruption to the league by most clubs and fans alike, at a point in the season where a full lower league card is scheduled on Scottish Cup weekends. HL & LL sides are even more prone to having to play midweek at that point in the season, so any who progress could genuinely be struggling to get everything played in time. I'm still for keeping it pre-Christmas.

I'm definitely for keeping it, but tbh we're the absolute masters of the tournament.

Seriously though, there's silverware to be won, different teams to play and some, albeit small, glory.

There's also the chilling thought of Sevco winning it this year (a fairly likely scenario, sorry Peterheid), and getting to keep the bloody thing as last ever winners. A disgusting thought.

I'm definitely for keeping it, but tbh we're the absolute masters of the tournament.

Seriously though, there's silverware to be won, different teams to play and some, albeit small, glory.

There's also the chilling thought of Sevco winning it this year (a fairly likely scenario, sorry Peterheid), and getting to keep the bloody thing as last ever winners. A disgusting thought.

But surely they`ve won it 2 or 3 times already given the other teams involved were merely pit stops in a truimphant march back to their rightful place after 3 glorious seasons. You`ll be telling me next they haven`t won the Scottish Cup or the League Cup in that time period either.

Archived