1970 League Tables

Footballfirst

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clash - Can you remember which year that was and did they continue to play on the same park for their home games

Dreghorn left when the old Western League was disbanded and Ayrshire Leagues introduced, they played the 1st season 1968/69 then resigned and went amateur. They continued to play at the same ground.

Dreghorn left when the old Western League was disbanded and Ayrshire Leagues introduced, they played the 1st season 1968/69 then resigned and went amateur. They continued to play at the same ground.

ur knowledge is endless mate!

Yes - the addition of Girvan and the loss of Stonehouse balance. Tayport should indeed appear in the Midland League gains.

Update

GAINS AND LOSSES (Some teams representing towns/villages have reformed between 1970 and now)

Central (40)

Losses: Blantyre Celtic, Baillieston, Dunoon, Stonehouse (4)

Gains: Clydebank, Rossvale, Gartcairn, Newmains (4)

Net Gain 0

Ayrshire (23)

Losses: 0

Gains Girvan (1)

No change

East (25)

Losses: (4) Peebles, Preston, New Blackburn, Bonnybridge

Gains: (5) Easthouses Lily MW, Blackburn, Falkirk Juniors, Edinburgh United, Stoneyburn

Net Gain 1

Fife (17)

Losses: (7) Leven, Comrie, Clackmannan, Valleyfield, Castlehill, Frances, Tulliallan (Dunfermline Jubilee now Rosyth)

Gains: (3) Kelty, Hill of Beath, Kennoway Star Hearts

Net Loss 4

Midland (28)

Losses: (10) Osborne, Alyth,( Forfar E E*, Forfar Celtic*), Luncarty, St Joseph's, Perth Celtic, Stobswell, Bankfoot, , Elmwood, Errol

Gains (2) Scone Thistle, (Forfar Albion*), Tayport

Net Loss 8

* Forfar Celtic and Forfar East End merged to from Forfar Albion. I've show the merger as the loss of one club and the removed Forfar Albion from the "gains".

North (23)

Net gain 12

(North)

Losses: (4) Bishopmill, Lossiemouth U, RAF Kinloss, HMS Fulmar

Gains: (6)Deveronside, Spey Vally, Grantown, Fochabers, Inverness City, Dufftown

(East )

Losses (4)St Machar, (Mugiemoss*), Formartine, Inverurie LW, Rosemount*

Gains (14) (Dyce*), Culter, Hall Russell, Hermes, Ellon, Banchory St T, Maud, Bridge of Don, Fraserburgh U, Colony Park, Longside, Newmachar, Aberdeen Uni, Cruden Bay, Glentanar

*I'm informed that Mugiemoss became Dyce and the club also absorbed Rosemount (which had become Rosslyn Sports). I've removed Dyce/Mugiemoss from the gains and losses.

1970-71 156 clubs

2015-16 158 clubs

well storehouse was never lost from Ayrshire so no losses and 1 gain makes it 24. So there is change surely

Forfar Celtic & Forfar East End amalgamated in the mid 70's and played a couple of seasons as Forfar EEC.

I'm sure I mind of Celtic sharing Station Park with Forfar for a couple of seasons before the amalgamation. I think Celtic's ground was beside the old gasometer behind Station Park.

In the late 60's/early 70's when The Loons were away from home Saturdays were spent watching East End, Celtic or West End.

In the 60's & 70's we had a thriving social club (now 'sweepers') right next door to the Hoover plant , which employed about 5,000 people at its peak. many workers used the club straight after work & even before they're shifts (backshift & nightshift). Most of these people had club memberships because this was the only way you'd get in on Friday & Saturday nights as it was so busy. This was probably the main reason the team flourished, reaching 7 Scottish cup finals in about 13 or so seasons , league titles & other various cups.

As I said earlier, too many people involved in running the social club , how can I put this , had 'sticky fingers' if you know what I mean , & with most of our great team getting on a bit , the money to replace them wasn't there anymore.

Then of course the Hoover workforce started dwindling over the years & the club went on a slippery slope & have never recovered.

I'd say the 'nose in the trough' people at the club who 'helped themselves' were mostly to blame , with the demise of the Hoover plant playing a significant part as well.

Over the years I've had one on one conversations with some of 'the culprits' involved in the social club & most of them have openly bragged about 'helping themselves'. Most of these people are dead now & some of the stories they told me are a disgrace to the club as a whole.

Great memories following the team in those days , but sadly I can't see us ever competing at the top again in my lifetime.

Respect.

Takes almost another decade before Talbot become a force.

Things have still to get worse before they get better

Just shows you though, if you told people at this time Talbot would become the best Junior team in Scotland they would have laughed at you

talbot won the old Ayrshire league 1977, 78 & 79.

The entire top five of the Highland League are now SPFL clubs.

Dunoon must have been a nightmare trip for Blantyre Celtic, Larkhall and Lanark.

Never knew there was a club called Forfar Celtic!

Used to be 3 junior teams in Forfar if I mind right - (Forfar) East End, West End & Celtic. (As it shows on the tables :lol: )

And two in Brechin - Brechin Vics & Brechin Matrix.

Thanks for that - am I right in saying that Ardeer Rec went the year before.

Thanks for that - am I right in saying that Ardeer Rec went the year before.

Aye, think your correct bud. The rec never played Ayrshire league would have folded end of old Western league. They were virtually a works team for the old ICI , had a really good ground until the vandals struck used to host schools and ammie cup finals and some juniors as well.

Archived