St Mirren v Queen of the South 12/3/16

Guest Flash

Dowie and then Brownlie go to press the ball and then dont get back into position, forcing Higgins to come across to the ball. No idea what Jacobs is doing. Looks like he pushes up to play offside all by himself! Thomson is, perhaps, marginally too far over but its pretty harsh to criticise him. From where Gallacher is he could easily have shot to the near post, as it was his shot was going wide and only became dangerous due to the deflection

True that the deflection has an effect, but if he had hit it at the same speed directly to where it ended up, Thomson wouldn't have saved it. I think everybody is agreed it was going in anyway without the final touch.

However, even ignoring that, it was shambolic.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

attachicon.gifoffside.jpg

Obviously, its not a great angle to judge but that looks pretty clear that Shankland is onside but the player in the middle (Gow?) is off

ETA - having watched the penalty back, its a poor decision. As SD said, Shankland trips himself up. Brownlie has a hand on his back but theres no push, if anything Shankland has already tripped over his own feet

That's the way I interpreted it at the time also.

To be fair to Brownlie, I thought it was a clear penalty from my angle at the time but there's minimal contact in there. Shankland clips his own heel, although whether the pressure from behind caused that I don't know. The high foot from Jacobs a few minutes later was more like a penalty.

Looks like the offside goal should have stood. I don't think it's quite as clear as Mr X is saying but Shankland is probably onside. It's pretty clear though that the confusion was indeed about whether he touched it before it went in, and it was going in anyway.

The early lob I mentioned was Kidd, not Murdoch, and was a lot closer than I actually thought at the time. It didn't miss by much. Tapping doesn't need to play the cross he turns into his own net. If he misses it Higgins is clearing it before it reaches the striker.

My view of the penalty incident was that Shankland tripped himself up. Thought it was Kidd rather than Murdoch with the early chance, right enough.

To be fair to Brownlie, I thought it was a clear penalty from my angle at the time but there's minimal contact in there. Shankland clips his own heel, although whether the pressure from behind caused that I don't know. The high foot from Jacobs a few minutes later was more like a penalty.

Looks like the offside goal should have stood. I don't think it's quite as clear as Mr X is saying but Shankland is probably onside. It's pretty clear though that the confusion was indeed about whether he touched it before it went in, and it was going in anyway.

The early lob I mentioned was Kidd, not Murdoch, and was a lot closer than I actually thought at the time. It didn't miss by much. Tapping doesn't need to play the cross he turns into his own net. If he misses it Higgins is clearing it before it reaches the striker.

I agree the second penalty claim was stronger than the first.

Offside goal should certainly have stood.

At the time I assumed that Shankland must have been several yards offside, and the linesman unsighted, for the referee to overrule him.  Really do wonder what was going through his head for him to chop that off.

Even from the QotS highlights it looks like the number of chances were about even - with almost all of them being half chances at best.

The goal that was chopped off, and Gow's at the end were the only two that looked like a goal was close to happening.

BTW, not sure how far off you thought the lob was at the time, but it must have been a lot if the video shows it closer than you thought.

It's coming down almost vertically and just clips the back of the net.  I reckon at the time it was over the bar it'd have been 10-15 feet above it :-)

Any other saints fans think that Gow had an excellent game and really put us into gear when he came on?

Yeah, he reminds me of berbatov. Not really that fast but has a good touch and gets himself into good positions. Saying that, he did a lot of shit things as well when he came on giving the ball away on numerous occasions

Looking at the highlights, Shankland is well onside for that goal. Nice to see the linesman totally guess the offside waiting a good 5 seconds to put the flag up. Another cracking call this season.  :thumbsdown

Didn't matter in the end but initially looked costly! 

Looking at the highlights, Shankland is well onside for that goal. Nice to see the linesman totally guess the offside waiting a good 5 seconds to put the flag up. Another cracking call this season.  :thumbsdown

Didn't matter in the end but initially looked costly! 

I don't think that's what happens.

The linesman doesn't give a goal - the ref gives a goal. So the ref should have checked for offside (none given) then signalled the goal, and the linesman would run back to the halfway line.

Looks like the ref was waiting for the linesman to flag - as it's the linesman's responsibility to call that.

He didn't put his flag up (for obvious reasons) and the ref then told him through his headset (for no reason I can see) to flag for offside.

Really bizarre decision.

Langfield is absolutely bollox. All over the place, all the time.

Don't like to criticise our own players, but he really should have saved the header.

Didn't really have anything else to do in the game, but was caught out by that mis-hit cross which hit the bar.

Archived