St Mirren v Queen of the South 12/3/16

That's definitely wrong. Gow had a shot on target at the end which was well saved and fairly certain Shankland had an effort which trundled to the keeper to.

Yes, I must admit that they're not generally the most reliable of stats. I did wonder.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought that was really harsh on us. We rode our luck a bit in the last 15 mins as we gambled more and more forward but apart from a ten minute spell after the penalty I thought we were the better side. The penalty was completely against the run of play but it was a penalty and not sure how it wasnt a red card too.

Worked our way back in. Got a wee bit lucky on the disallowed goal. I think the confusion was whether the guy on the line touched it before it went in or not. Took advantage with a good goal. Great cross from Jacobs, good header from Oliver.

Lost a goal again within a minute as St Mirren got in down their left far too easily and Tapping rattled the cut back past his own keeper.

We had a couple of half chances and finished the game with Dowie and Brownlie both up top along with Lyle and Hilson with Oliver behind them and Russell and Harris wide but never got closer than when Higgins nearly wrongfooted Langfield by deflecting a shot goalwards in injury time.

Robbie Thomson kept the game alive with a wonderful last minute save too.

Opportunity lost to gain ground on Raith.

Didn't deserve to loss that game but it's the way it's going at the moment we had a few chances and had the most possession only for St Mirren to beat us 2-1 with one shot on target the whole game!

Delighted with the three points. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I think it's all about building points and momentum as the season draws to its conclusion.

However it could have been very different. In the three games versus Rangers, Falkirk and Raith Rovers, you could argue we should have taken a minimum of 5 points from those fixtures. We took one. That would have kept us very much in the hunt for fourth but it's Raith's to squander now.

Must say I'm very, very (pleasantly) surprised by how well Rae and Farrell are doing. In terms of performance and results, it is night and day compared to the Murray debacle. I don't think you can really call it a "new manager bounce" now, he has completely reshaped the team (and the psychology of the players) and has turned things around magnificently.

Also surprised by the crowd today, excellent effort from Tony Fitz and the club to get more fans through the door.

Didn't deserve to loss that game but it's the way it's going at the moment we had a few chances and had the most possession only for St Mirren to beat us 2-1 with one shot on target the whole game!

You might want to rethink that comment :-)

How can you say that if you weren't there to witness it ??

Thought that was really harsh on us. We rode our luck a bit in the last 15 mins as we gambled more and more forward but apart from a ten minute spell after the penalty I thought we were the better side. The penalty was completely against the run of play but it was a penalty and not sure how it wasnt a red card too.

Worked our way back in. Got a wee bit lucky on the disallowed goal. I think the confusion was whether the guy on the line touched it before it went in or not. Took advantage with a good goal. Great cross from Jacobs, good header from Oliver.

Lost a goal again within a minute as St Mirren got in down their left far too easily and Tapping rattled the cut back past his own keeper.

We had a couple of half chances and finished the game with Dowie and Brownlie both up top along with Lyle and Hilson with Oliver behind them and Russell and Harris wide but never got closer than when Higgins nearly wrongfooted Langfield by deflecting a shot goalwards in injury time.

Robbie Thomson kept the game alive with a wonderful last minute save too.

Opportunity lost to gain ground on Raith.

Pretty much matches my view of things.

If Gow had scored at the end it would have been one of the best non-Mallan goals we've scored this season. Not to be. Also denied the chance to see him, Hilson and Tapping playing at the same time, which is an end of days scenario.

Saints aren't very good.

Neither are Queen's, although they did knock the ball about quite well at times without ever looking dangerous.

Aside from the goal, the only save I can remember Langfield making in the second half was a tame deflection in the 8th minute of injury time. There were probably others though but it felt that way :-)

Thought the goal being disallowed was a strange one. If Shankland was offside then surely it's still up to the linesman to give it?

I've no idea if he was offside or not, as he wasn't anywhere on my radar earlier in the move.

We really need to be a bit more clinical though. The amount of space we were getting when Queeens were pushing for an equaliser was unreal, and we should have scored another two or three. As it was it was nerves all round until the final whistle.

Listened to the whole game live on St mirren radio.

So were you putting the kettle on when Gallagher scored for it to be controversially chopped off and your keeper made a spectacular save from Gow that looked like a goal all the way?

Not sure we did enough to deserve the win but we certainly didnt deserve to lose to a, fairly, poor saints side.

Losing both Kidd and Marshall limited our options going forward in the wide areas and while we had a lot of the ball never looked particularly threatening in the final third.

Not sure we did enough to deserve the win but we certainly didnt deserve to lose to a, fairly, poor saints side.

Losing both Kidd and Marshall limited our options going forward in the wide areas and while we had a lot of the ball never looked particularly threatening in the final third.

Story of the season. Never particularly threatening on the final third.

Amazing to think we have picked up nearly 1/3 of our points total against Queens. Hang your heads in shame!

I hope we haven't sacrificed or decentish away form for better home form. Would be nice to do well home and away.

A couple more wins and Alex can start to experiment with more youngsters in the team.

It was a better performance than at Raith and there was no shortage of effort.

In hindsight when we lost Marshall it might have been better keeping the Dowie: Higgy partnership intact and pushing a midfielder to left back rather than introducing Brownlee. We weakened ourselves right across the back 4 in one fell swoop. Brownlee contrived to gift our opponents a penalty out of nothing - not much ore yo be said.

First half St Mirren were woeful and even looked less likely to score than us and that is saying something.

Russell' s introduction made a big difference bit we still created precious little and in truth Saints had far better chances than we did in the second half. If our league position was based on cheap possession stats we would be doing pretty well but we create virtually nothing in open play despite ending the game with a multitude of forwards.

Dowie did very well today - no sign of Mark Millar even on the bench. Has there been a fallout?

Terrible first half. Game improved in the second half. Thought Queens had most of the play due to our non-existent midfield but they did nothing with it. Gow made a difference when he came on and we were more threatening. On chances we deserved our victory. Just.

Archived